All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2021, 02:58 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)

The next time i want to watch a movie where our heroes hang out in caves before blowing up a bridge i'll stick with Force Ten From Navarone because this over talky dirge bored the pants off me and by the time it came to blow up said bridge with twenty minutes to go out of two hours forty i was nearly asleep.

When you think Metallica wrote their best song using the exact same title.

I blame Hemingway!
Lol the book is great, but I made the same mistake as you a couple of years ago, watch this snooze fest. I agreed with you 200%.
Old 14th March 2021, 03:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Lol the book is great, but I made the same mistake as you a couple of years ago, watch this snooze fest. I agreed with you 200%.
One thing that made me laugh was Gary Cooper. I'm sure Spielberg must have watched this prior to making Raiders as Cooper and Indiana Jones wear the exact same outfits.

Cooper even wears a brown leather jacket later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gary-cooper-for-whom-the-bell-tolls-1943-BPA0JC.jpg (99.3 KB, 8 views)
trebor8273 and Graveyard like this.
Old 14th March 2021, 04:14 PM
Cult Master

Vampyresfilmposter.jpg

A couple taking a little break to the English countryside pass two mysterious ladies on the side of a quite rural road one in clear view and one hiding behind a tree raising suspicions and an unsettling feeling in the woman but her boyfriend is not convinced and puts it down to her mind playing tricks. But this is no trick these beautiful ladies are hitchhiking picking up unsuspecting men and taking them back to their rural mansion for vintage wine sex and death. One of the ladies brings back a man that she takes a shine to and lets him live but he is strangely drawn to her and the mansion and he keeps returning even though each morning he wakes up sicker and bloodier but he can not pull himself away from the place even when more and more men start showing up and disappearing.

This was a first time viewing for me and i loved it. The setting in the mansion is very striking with plenty of atmosphere the women although their acting is a bit ropey are quite intriguing almost pulling you in like the men they are luring back to their deaths. It's not the run of the mill vampires sinking their teeth into their victims they are brutally killing these men and almost bathing in their blood. Aside from all the blood and atmosphere this is a very erotic affair with almost every second scene in the bedroom from one on one beatial sex to a blood soaked three way but its all done pretty tastefully more erotic than sleazy.

8/10
Old 14th March 2021, 04:40 PM
Cult Master

07_dumplings.jpg

In Hong Kong tucked away in a run down apartment block is a small dumpling shop run by former gynecologist Aunt Mei who in her job had carried out hundreds of abortions. While doing these she somehow discovered the main ingredient for her dumplings that help restore youthfulness in anyone who consumes them. Former actress Ching who is desperately trying to hold on to her womanising husband goes to Aunt Mei to try and reverse the ageing process to get him interested in her again. Soon the results are plain for everyone to see and her husband turns his attention from his young mistress back to his wife but not she must go to even more extreme lengths to maintain her new found beauty.

What can i say about Dumplings other than ewwwwwww

I used to love eating dumplings when i used to go out for a meal at the chinese but i don't think i will be able to now well not the boiled one anyway . It's not just what's in them but its how they eat them in this film the close ups the noise of them sucking on them was pretty gross. There is one pretty rough abortion scene which put me on edge thinking about the actual real life situation and how brutal that must be for a woman physically and mentally.

All that aside there is a great story here of just how far people will go for that level of beauty and endless youth people seek now more than ever making the film even more relevant today than on its release 17 years ago.

8/10
Old 14th March 2021, 05:21 PM
Cult Master

a9665983bb91a9d94cd014f2aeb60d50.jpg

A young woman saves up all her money for years to buy here dream apartment in the most expensive part of town because she must have a sea view. After putting her entire life on hold in order the raise enough money the elderly couple selling the apartment decide to pull out of the deal feeling the place is worth double than they put it on the market. But Cheng Lai will not give up her dream for anyone or anything and so begins a brutal rampage against anyone who moves into the apartment i hopes of driving the price down.

This is a pretty unique story with its dark take on the materialism of people and how far people will go to obtain the often unattainable obviously not to the extremes depicted here but people do some crazy things to have the best things to be better than everyone else. The way the story is told works really well constantly jumping from the present to the past from childhood and where the obsession of a sea view came from to the brutal killings to the reasons for the killings i does jump all over the place but they way its done flowed really well and it was never distracting or confusing.

When i said a brutal killing spree i really did mean it because the kills are very graphic and brutal there are some really nasty kills and so much gore but not cartoonish gore very realistic which makes it all the more real well for the most part not sure about the guy smoking a joint with his intestines hanging out and anyway. On a couple of occasions i did winch at how painful looking something was.

9/10
Old 14th March 2021, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 231869

A young woman saves up all her money for years to buy here dream apartment in the most expensive part of town because she must have a sea view. After putting her entire life on hold in order the raise enough money the elderly couple selling the apartment decide to pull out of the deal feeling the place is worth double than they put it on the market. But Cheng Lai will not give up her dream for anyone or anything and so begins a brutal rampage against anyone who moves into the apartment i hopes of driving the price down.

This is a pretty unique story with its dark take on the materialism of people and how far people will go to obtain the often unattainable obviously not to the extremes depicted here but people do some crazy things to have the best things to be better than everyone else. The way the story is told works really well constantly jumping from the present to the past from childhood and where the obsession of a sea view came from to the brutal killings to the reasons for the killings i does jump all over the place but they way its done flowed really well and it was never distracting or confusing.

When i said a brutal killing spree i really did mean it because the kills are very graphic and brutal there are some really nasty kills and so much gore but not cartoonish gore very realistic which makes it all the more real well for the most part not sure about the guy smoking a joint with his intestines hanging out and anyway. On a couple of occasions i did winch at how painful looking something was.

9/10
Dream Home's brilliant isn't it.

I always recommend the Network blu or dvd if anyone asks for suggestions when their sales come around. A terrifically gory movie.
Demoncrat and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 14th March 2021, 05:42 PM
Cult Master

anthropophagousdvd-1.jpg

A group of friends on a holiday befriend a woman who is heading to the islands where she cares for a blind girl and they offer to drop her off after one of the men accidently breaks her camera but the main reason for their kindness is the men all want to be more than friends. When they reach the island it seems pretty deserted and with a storm on the way they are forced in to spending the night rather than sailing and risking the elements. The only sign of life on the island is a mysterious woman they can never catch up with and the blind girl they find scared out of her wits hiding from a man she says has wiped out the entire island.

It's a pretty slow build but the location and atmosphere really helps build the tension so it's always interesting and never lacking. But once it gets going it's pretty brutal and George Eastman is great as The Beast. I really like the back story of how the killer became a crazed cannibal anything that involves kids is always so taboo but it really helps to show just how mad this man has become.

8/10
Old 14th March 2021, 05:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dream Home's brilliant isn't it.

I always recommend the Network blu or dvd if anyone asks for suggestions when their sales come around. A terrifically gory movie.
It was the Network blu ray i picked up ages ago in a sale just never got around to it until last week. Pretty sure you recommended it to me.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th March 2021, 05:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
It was the Network blu ray i picked up ages ago in a sale just never got around to it until last week. Pretty sure you recommended it to me.
Haha! There you go then, brilliant.

Glad you loved it, Nordy.
Old 14th March 2021, 06:04 PM
Cult Master

Absurd_2352.jpg

A man is hunted by a priest after he escapes a lab where experiments have been carried out on him the man has supernatural powers that can make him regenerate from any injuries almost entirely ruling out death. On arrival in a small village he goes on a killing spree and with no known way to kill him the situation looks pretty bleak.

I straight up love this film its hilarious in parts and brutal as f**k in others. The whole Super Bowl party just cracks me up everytime it feels like they are showing the whole game at some points .GO TEAM

George Eastman is fantastic here just his sheer size and presence on the screen is pretty intimidating and without the makeup of Anthro we can really appreciate how demented he can look. The kills are absolutely fantastic also the drill in the nurses temple the saw through the top of the skull and the oven kill are all so so great to watch so nasty.

Just a couple of stupid things that annoyed me slightly firstly a small gripe has to be how long it took the girl to undo the straps in the bed i was getting annoyed just waiting saying out loud of for f**k sake open the bloody things The big thing was that bloody kid RRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE inducing little shit

That aside the film is a blast with a nice little albeit too short cameo from Michele Soavi.

Oh and i almost forgot to mention the soundtrack that was reused in Pieces even down to the marching band music from the the Super Bowl having not seen this for years and watching Pieces again only recently it's even funnier.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!