Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2021, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Major League II

Very enjoyable sequel which sees some of the Cleveland Indians returning only they have egos and let fame go to their heads. If you loved the 1st one, you'll enjoy this. Bob Uecker returns also and he steals the show as the Commentator.

Goon 2: Last Of The Enforcers

Very satisfying sequel in which Sean William Scott's character goes into retirement after a serious injury and follows his journey back into returning. Again if you enjoyed the 1st one, you'd probably like this one also.

Jaws

Classic film in which a Shark ends up killing a few swimmers in a Coastal Town during The 4th July celebrations. Roy Schider is the Sheriff who tries to control things whilst The Mayor and locals want to go on as normal. Richard Dryfuss co-stars.

This is the 1st time I've seen this and I enjoyed it but I did think that the boat scene at the end went on for a bit too long for my liking. Loved to know how it got a PG originally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mlii.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg g2lote.jpg (16.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg j.jpg (13.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 16th March 2021, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Rob Roy (1995)

Not seen this in ten years, since i was last in the Trossachs. Good film, good cast, stunning scenery...

...But Tim Roth. What a complete and utter bastard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robroy_1995_original_film_art_1200x.jpg (92.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th March 2021, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From Hell. 2001.

A clairvoyant police detective tries to solve the murders committed by Jack The Ripper.

Another film based on the 1888 killings by Jack The Ripper and this seems to be a darker tale on the murders with Johnny Depp as Inspector Aberline who seems to have a somewhat drug problem and able to see the killings happen yet not the appearance of the killer.

Robbie Coltrane stars alongside as Aberline's partner Godley who has a different approach to the killings and somewhat serious persona with the young constables. Heather Graham stars as Mary Kelly who was alleged to be a victim of the ripper yet somehow has survived in this or her survival is just a hallucination by Aberline. Ian Holm stars as the retired Doctor now consultant to the police on the killings and shows his true aspect of his acting.

What made this more interesting is that they show John Merrick (The Elephant Man) on display for medical sponsors to help find a treatment for his affliction and the so called corruption of the royal family that could have brought disgrace to the heir of the throne, yet most of it was based on a work of fiction and still enjoyable to watch.

from hell.jpg
Old 17th March 2021, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Withnail and I (1987)

I always seem to watch Withnail and I around this time of year. Same goes for Easy Rider, Dazed and Confused and one or two other classics.

This year it seemed so scarily realistic and for a film from 1987 so 2021. There's the ill judged stay-cation in the Lakes, the claustrophobia on said stay-cation and of course the over reliance on booze to get us through the bad times, but it remains an ever watchable and ever more quotable classic slice of British comedy.

Leads Paul McGann and especially Richard E Grant (Withnail) have never been better and i can't take my eyes off them throughout the hundred and odd minutes. I must also mention a bit part for Daragh O' Malley. An actor i spent last summer with during a complete run through of Sharpe. O' Malley pops up here as an Irish ruffian in a pub who takes an instant dislike to McGann's (unnamed) Marwood, causing the guys to do a runner double quick, which in turn brings me back to lockdown and staying home.

So i'll leave you with the exasperated Withnail as he declares in a rather pissed off fashion to a Lake District farmer "We've gone on holiday by mistake". Far safer to stay home and drink the lighter fluid boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 411SbHpWmfL._AC_.jpg (25.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 18th March 2021, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Norman wisdom film There was a crooked man for first time yesterday because it was filmed in Darwen, here a pic of the film town centre looking down the way in the film, and the other pic is same area but looking up the way from main road direction, 3rd picture it what it looks like now on the right the scene where they looked out the window and looking at the town hall and public toilets,
Shame they couldn't do now for real what they did in the film and blow it up,

Also found out 2 my friends have said one of their parents had a background part in the film amongst the crowds.

The film had been unavailable for many years. It had one television screening on ITV on Boxing Day in 1965. It was shown publicly for the first time in over 40 years in Darwen, Lancashire, where it was filmed, in 2008.

The film was released on DVD on 8 May 2017.
Old 18th March 2021, 12:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Is it any good, gag?

I noticed Network had released it.
Old 18th March 2021, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Murphy's Law. 1986.

Jack Murphy is a veteran detective with a drink problem, he is framed for murder and handcuffed to a car thief he arrested earlier, they both escape and Murphy tries to find who has framed him.

Another combination of Charles Brosnan, J. Lee Thompson and The Cannon Group and this never fails to be boring nor over the top except from Kathleen Wilhoite and the endless barage of old insults that fails to get any reaction. This is another revenge movie, instead of Brosnan seeking the revenge he is on the other end of the stick from a former female convict who is a tad upset at being sent down. From start to finish the film gets better and better right up to the finale.

murphy's law.jpg
Old 18th March 2021, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Last Exorcism. 2010.

Cotton Marcus a troubled evangelical minister has a T.V. crew with him for a documentary. He receives a letter from a farmer about his daughter who may be possessed, and shows the crew that exorcisms aren't real and proves they are hoax, but soon realises the family has more problems than he can imagine.

This is somewhat of a mocumentary of a priest slowly loosing his faith and exposing some tricks on how to fake a exorcism, Patrick Fabian plays Cotton who is asked to help a young girl Nell (Ashley Bell) but is drawn into something darker. The acting is not that bad and at times a waste of good talent and the so called jump scares are stuff we have seen before but the creators decided to throw in a unexpected twist that confused the hell out of me, are they practising witchcraft of some other demonic practice.

p8063087_v_h9_aa.jpg
Old 18th March 2021, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Commando

Arnie is John Matrix who sets out to rescue his daughter ( Alyssa Milano) from psychotic ex team mate Bennett and foreigner general whom John disposed. Pure over the top 80s action with Arnie at the top of his game. 8.5/10

Nicolas Cage in a restrained role who plays who plays Cameron Poe a ranger who is released from prison after accidentally killing a man defending his wife and is looking forward to meeting his young daughter for the first time. Of course things don't go as planned when the plane he is on is taking over by the prisoners led by Cyrus the virus ( John Malkovich) . None stop action, cast also includes John Cusack as a FBI agent, Ving Rhames, Colm Meaney, Monica Potter, Danny Trejo and Steve Buscemi as surprisingly likable psychpath. Switch off your brain and enjoy the ride. 8/10

Next up

Old 18th March 2021, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I love Con Air so much. One of the best movies of the 90's and one of my top 50 of all time.
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!