Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I Disagree some films are better when they are left alone,
Dead and buried
Burning
helps them become more cult, classic instead of being ruined with endless and pointless sequels like
Tcm
Fri 13
Halloween
Alien
Hellraiser
Cotc
And many others .
Nothing wrong with odd sequel etc like a trilogy eg omen, but when they’re just milking the franchise for sake of it .
The majority of horror fans love the F13Th sequels. A lot like myself think the sixth film is the best of the lot. In fact the first film is often way down the list when i see them ranked.

Same goes for the Halloween series. The seventh film H20 is thought very highly of and i personally think the fourth one is excellent.

Alien wasn't ruined by any of it's sequels and expansion of the series and many rate the seventh film Prometheus very highly indeed.

I'm not a fan of the Texas films but many are so i can't say they have ruined the legacy of the first film. It can be argued that the Hellraiser films are a declining franchise but personally i like them all and think the biggest crime they could commit was not revisiting the S&M horrors of the Cenobites.

I have no idea what Cotc is by the way.
Old 21st March 2021, 12:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Children Of The Corn

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2021, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Children Of The Corn
FFS! Another shit example then, seeing as the third film Urban Harvest is widely acknowledged as the best of the series.
Old 21st March 2021, 01:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Alone with jack

Without Warning.(1980)
Coming across like a mixture of Last of the Summer Wine meets Predator ,but instead of a conveyor belt of out of work sitcom actors from British television,we have instead a bunch of down on there luck tough guy actors from the 1960s waiting to be rediscovered,for a new audience...But instead of a bunch of grumpy old men having hilarious misadventures and hijinks,we have a bunch of miserable old men fighting an alien with the help of some flying killer starfish...it's a real who's who of actors who have probably seen the inside of one two many whiskey bottles in there hey day... leading the axis of misery is Jack Palance*as Joe Taylor, following him is Martin Landau,Neville Brand and Ralph Meeker ( who really does sound drunk,but unfortunately he had suffered a stroke in 1980). Cameron Mitchell*is on hand also,then again he seemed to be in every low budget movie during the 1980s...It can't be any coincidence that *Kevin Peter Hall*was the alien in this and Predator,seeing as there very similar stories...Of course it's all fairly hokey but it's fun hokum,and it's always good seeing David Caruso getting his comupence by an Alien...

Alone in the Dark*(1982).
Back by popular demand,Jack Parlance and Martin Landau,team up as psychopath mental patients who manage to escape there hospital cells,(although you would think that a maximum security hospital,which relies on electricity for it's security, would have a back up plan in case of a power cut,I mean who is running these prisons,did Group 4 Security have the contract for this and Smith's Grove Sanitarium back in the day... Donald Pleasence is Dr Leo Bain,the total opposite to his Sam Loomis alter ego, where as Loomis was a gun toting rather shouty doctor,Bain has a more relaxed attitude to curing his patients....in other words he seems to do very little apart from spout new age nonsense and smoke a dope pipe... Unusually for an 80s slasher the killer's are much more sympathetic and three dimensional than there counterparts...That's probably because you have some fairly respectable actors instead of some nameless actor hacking his or her way through the cast...Jack Sholder directs probably one of the better slashers from this period, although it has a fairly low gore score,it makes up for it with a witty and intelligent script...also nothing beats seeing Jack Palance going into the night club after punching out the guy on the door,to the sound of the Sick ****s....

Old 21st March 2021, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Dark Path (2020)

A Dark Path commits the biggest crime a horror film can do. It's utterly boring for 70 of it's 75 minute run time. I can cope with low budget and poor acting, i can handle ridiculous scenarios and badly written dialogue but i can't handle pure tedium.

It's a film where nothing of any note happens whatsoever, simply two girls with a broken down car down a country lane. Talking. Talking a lot.

A decent looking man in a monster suit creature turns up with five minutes to go, growls a bit and that's pretty much the film
Old 21st March 2021, 07:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Spies Like Us. Chevy Chase and Dan Akyroyd are two bumbling low-level government employees chosen to be rushed through training and turned into actual agents/spies - with the intention of using them as expendable decoys while the real agents get things done. This mid 80s comedy is watchable enough - though the Afghan midsection borders on tedious - and is bouyed by its stars and that 80s charm, but suffers from the fact that, aside from a few chuckles from Chevy's smartassness, it's just not that funny.
Old 21st March 2021, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

My Sister's Keeper

Abigail Breslin plays a Child who hires Attorney played by Alec Baldwin in order to sue her Parents (Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric) for Medical Emancipation after she's supposed to donate her Kidney to save her Sister who his dying from Cancer. A very powerful film that has many stunning performances.

Con Air

A masterful All Action film which sees Criminals take over a Aeroplane. I watched the Extended Edition and for once the additional scenes actually are useful as one shows why Cage was eager to save his friend.

It's 25 years old next year and I want a Special Edition with features galore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg msk.jpg (11.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ca.jpg (14.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd March 2021, 04:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exorcismus. (aka The Possession of Emma Evans) 2010.

Fifteen year old Emma thinks she is possessed after she and her friends play with a Ouija board, her uncle who is a priest and knows about exorcisms and has had experience is called in to perform a exorcism and records the evidence.

This film was written and directed by a Spanish duo and filmed in England with English actors, which is something that's not new but may be more creepy and darker if it was made in Spain. This is nothing like The Exorcist or other Demonic Possession movies as this does have a added twist to it. The acting isn't great but not that bad, I have seen this film a few times and still in a dilemma of do i like or hate it. Stephen Billington plays the Uncle and priest who seems tortured over a exorcism he performed and Sophie Vavasseur plays the troubled teen. Doug Bradley makes a appearance for a few minutes and knows how to deliver a small good performance.

images.jpg
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Happiest Season. Kristen Stewart is heading off to spend her first Christmas with her girlfriend's family - and meet them for the first time - only to find out halfway there that they just think she's her roommate, because her girlfriend hasn't yet told them she's gay. This 2020 festive rom-com is pretty entertaining and likeable, with a good cast including Mary Steenburgen, Alison Brie and Victor Garber, and is genuinely funny, sweet and even touching. This was a good film, I liked it.
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

the usual Cronenberg body horror this time scientist Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) is onto the greatest scientific discovery ever, teleportation , in his experiments something goes wrong when a fly is trapped with him when he experiments on himself , mutating him . At first it makes him stronger and faster than before but he slowly begins too mutate. Some great practical effects and always loved the scene when the fly pukes on the man's arm and leg. 8.5/10

Now watching.

Like this? Share it using the links below!