Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dead Ringers (1988)

It can't be denied, Jeremy Irons is unforgettably excellent and deliciously creepy as identical twin gynecologists. He's so effective it really does seem like two actors in the roles. The film depicting how one of the doctors falls in love with patient Genevieve Bujold and the resulting affair destroys the strong psychic bond between the pair with devastating results.

Based on the novel Twins by Bari Wood and Jack Geasland, Dead Ringers is a disturbing psychological thriller that remains chilling even without the usual (until then) Cronenberg gross effects work. A pity because the movie hints at the sterile sexuality of medical fetish but doesn't shock as you might expect from the master of body horror that is David Cronenberg. It does however present the Canadian auteur as a director of real force and also a genuine original in the horror genre.
I'm not a big Jeremy Irons fan and only seen some of his films but this is one of his best roles, would also recommend the book as it does have more profound look on the twins psychological state of mind.

Last edited by MrBarlow; 23rd March 2021 at 06:14 AM.
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Isn't It Shocking? (1973, John Badham)

Odd little TVM. Alan Alda, Will Geer, Ruth Gordon and Lousie Lasser try and solve the case of dying residents in a small town. It's not boredom either ...
Short and not that sweet this one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd March 2021, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanatomorphose (2012, Eric Falardeau)

Cheery wee thing
Witness a young artist's literal disintergration.
More akin to Themroc than Repulsion, all my hats go off to the FX/makeup team here.
Not for squeamish types. Sadly, you aren't left with much to hold onto (no pun intended) so it's not really a recommend, unless you want to clear the house on Xmas Day
Ahem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shrew's Nest. 2014.

In Madrid in 1950, Montse lives with her 18 year old sister Nina, she is agoraphobic and works at home as a dress maker. One day her upstairs neighbour Carlos falls down and begs Montse to help him, soon her caring side turns sinister.

Although this had a very slow direction and seems to take forever, it does have it's good points, the film does exploit the mind of a shut in and slowly paranoia sets in and Montse remembers her troubled past with her father who she seems to take out her anger on anyone. This did seem like a homage to Misery and same suspense and tense moments, with a guy stuck to a bed. Macarena Gomez does play a good role as the fragile Montse who calm be calm one minute then flick a switch to anger the next.

220px-MusaraƱas_poster.jpg
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Care A Lot (2020, J Blakeson)

Rosmaund Pike does it again. A lot more fun than his last flick as well.
Recommended.

[B]
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demonic. 2015.

A police detective gets a call out to a house, the caretaker tells him there is blood in there, while searching the house he finds dead bodies and one survivor who tells the police psychologist they tried to summon a ghost.

Don't know why but this was another movie I held off watching that turned out to be enjoyable, the plot may seem daft but it does work. Maria Bello plays the psychologist who tries to uncover what happened in the house. Frank Gillo plays the detective who doesn't believe in ghosts and thinks the survivor killed everyone. This one does have a good twist in the story and one or two jump scares along with some decent acting.

p10960628_p_v10_ae.jpg
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Midnight Run (1988)

Probably the best odd couple buddy movie ever made and also one of the best road movies ever made thanks not only to great performances from stars Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin but also the rich supporting cast including Dennis Farina, John Ashton, Joe Pantoliano and the wonderful Yaphet Kotto who sadly passed away recently.
Old 24th March 2021, 06:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Housebound. 2014.

Kylie is forced to spend 8 months in her family home with her mum under house arrest, her mum is convinced the house is haunted, soon after moving in Kylie believes something is with them in the house.

I went into this film on a blind view, I thought this was going to be a another haunted house film, this became part horror, part murder mystery with a few laughs in between especially from the mother. Morgana O' Reilly plays the young ASBO teen Kylie, who doesn't believe there is nothing wrong until she does some investigation. Rima Te Wiata plays the motormouth mother and convinced her house has been haunted for years. This was a decent movie from New Zealand that will be watched again, Recommended.

housebound.jpg
Old 24th March 2021, 11:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Housebound

Happy Birthday To Me (1981, J Lee Thompson)

What a strange film. It began and it almost felt like a murican take on Giallo (this didn't last long), but then all tension is destroyed. The ending easily as hilarious as The Mummy (Cruise).
I was interesting watching this and ICAL last night, that film kept my attention, this just annoyed me.
And people slag off Prom Night ....

NEXT !!!!!

[B]
Old 24th March 2021, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Love Housebound

Happy Birthday To Me (2981, J Lee Thompson)

What a strange film. It began and it almost felt like a murican take on Giallo (this didn't last long), but then all tension is destroyed. The ending easily as hilarious as The Mummy (Cruise).
I was interesting watching this and ICAL last night, that film kept my attention, this just annoyed me.
And people slag off Prom Night ....

NEXT !!!!!
2981...you got a time machine Demon, next time you use it let me know the horse racing winners are for next few weeks

Like this? Share it using the links below!