Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2021, 04:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I had a blast with Terrifier its a great film to veg out to no story just killing cant see the problem
Old 31st March 2021, 05:00 PM
Active Cultist

When the East meets the West(ern)

Kurando Mitsutake didn't disappoint me yet, Karate Kill was a blast, Samurai Avenger it's funny, gory and trashy everything you want in a movie.
Old 31st March 2021, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Never Back Down

A MMA take on The Karate Kid, which sees a teen encounter issues with the local bully and therefore takes up MMA training to defeat him in a (Not so) underground tournament. Very enjoyable and the tournament does have a twist at the end (Which I kinda appreciate).

Rat Race

A madcap modern take on The Cannonball Run which sees random people go on a chase to be the 1st to a locker that contains 2 million dollars. It's silly, stupid and ludicrous (As in nobody could destroy a Airport Radar and get away with it or steal a Land Speed Car) but it's funny, enjoyable and perfect for a hot day if you don't want a film that you have to concentrate on.

Creed II

The Sons of Creed and Drago do battle for the Heavyweight Championship of the World. A quality edition to The Rocky Saga with a career best performance from Dolph Lundgren. It has also has some nice Easter Eggs for fans. It will be interesting to see how Creed III handles being it's own entity with the characters it's established without the Rocky characters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nbd.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rr.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cii.jpg (9.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st March 2021, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dark and The Wicked. 2020.

A brother and sister return to their family farm as their father is slowly dying but the mother believes there is a evil presence there.

This was another haunted house/farm that looked like it had potential, there is a few jump scenes that were timed perfectly, the acting was decent and everyone trying their best to make it as genuine and creepy. Cannot fault the cinematography as it was handled under good direction and with the low light used that gave it the perfect dark atmosphere. Yet the the plot to it made no sense, why was the family targeted, no idea, was the father a bad person and some demon coming to claim his soul, not a clue, was hoping it would all be revealed yet nothing. Think 90 minutes of my life have been wasted.

movieposter_en.jpg
Old 31st March 2021, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Australia (2008)

Hugely enjoyable epic movie from Baz Luhrmann.

At two hours forty minutes it's probably too long but this Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman headliner constantly entertains as it lurches from comedy to western to wartime adventure with Aboriginal Walkabout's thrown in.

Luhrmann's photography is sumptuous and the film has several memorable sequences including a deadly cattle stampede straight out of Howard Hawk's Red River.
Old 1st April 2021, 11:17 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Australia (2008)

Hugely enjoyable epic movie from Baz Luhrmann.
As much as I like Moulin Rouge!, Romeo + Juliet, and The Great Gatsby, Australia is my favourite Baz Luhrmann film.
Old 1st April 2021, 12:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some Like it Sexy (1969)

The fantasies of of a young man (Christopher Matthews - who you may remember as Paul in 1970's Scars of Dracula) who zips about London in his E-Type seducing a variety of swinging sixties 'dolly birds'.

This is largely plotless affair with Matthews seemingly wishing he was Michael Caine's Alfie but actually coming across like a knock off Robin Askwith and is memorable only for his sex scene double having a ridiculously hairy arse and dozens of moles on his back. It's amusing to begin with but quickly smacks of film making incompetence.

The only decent and slightly sexy scene involves Matthews threesome with the Collinson twins, Mary and Madeleine, soon to be seen in 1971's Twins of Evil. It soon becomes clear that they prefer each other to the floundering Matthews so director Donovan Winter clearly filmed a surprisingly graphic and lengthy lesbian sex scene (Sans Matthews) to spice things up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (108.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 1st April 2021, 02:04 PM
Cult Veteran

I've had Australia on BD for years in a Luhrman box set but never thought to actually watch it, I kind of want to give it a go though now.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st April 2021, 02:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've had Australia on BD for years in a Luhrman box set but never thought to actually watch it, I kind of want to give it a go though now.
If you have a few hours one afternoon or evening, put your phone on silent and enjoy some brilliantly accomplished filmmaking. It's a far from typical Baz Luhrmann film, an epic action-adventure with serious things to say about the more regrettable aspects of Australian history.
Old 1st April 2021, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Creation Stories (Nick Moran)

Couldn't resist seeing this.
If only to see how The Jesus & Mary Chain would be portrayed in the course of events. Spud plays McGee. A well known cast play various folk I grew up listening to tbh , much to a greater or lesser effect depending on how much of The Golden Bough you've read
Ahem.
A film. You may recognise some of the ST

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!