Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2021, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Birds of Prey: and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn (2020)

How can a movie vary in quality so much from scene to scene? In this case it depends which characters are on screen.

Most of the characters range from minor irritants to genuinely annoying other than Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn who is fantastic and lights up the screen with her manic demeanor.

Plot wise i can't remember much except some annoying girl who swallows a diamond that a hammy Ewan McGregor want to get his hands on, but really for the 100 minutes run time (Thankfully it wasn't a film that went to Marvels's bum numbing lengths) i got by loving the crazy antics of Robbie's Harley in this violent, sweary and colourful mess of a movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birds_of_prey_ver16_xlg.jpg (99.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 4th April 2021, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Most Disturbing Person On Planet Earth (2013)

Never again. Basically a series of clips showing some of the nastiest real footage I've seen in my life.
Not in anyway a recommendation.

To complete my Easter Sunday, I am now going to peruse something called Decapitarium

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th April 2021, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House Of Secrets. 1936.

Barry a globe trotter is informed he has inherited a house in London, when he tries to see the house he is put of by a man living there, he is asked by the daughter of the doctor to let them stay there for six months. Barry decides to find out what they are hiding in the house.

I came across this one by fluke and even though the main character is frustrated at not seeing what is happening inside the house it does leave the viewer wondering what exactly is going on and seems to go in another direction of fortune hunters. At 70 minutes this film felt like I had watched it for two hours, as it seemed to drag on, not sure if it's the frame of mind i'm in or just this film, maybe a second watch may change my view.

MV5BNTMwMjEwMWMtMDJlYS00Yjk5LWEzODYtOWFhN2Q5ZDIxOTkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
Old 4th April 2021, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Timecop

Time travel is now a thing and criminals including a Presidential Candidate are travelling back in time changing history therefore it's up to Jean Claude Van Damme to stop them. One of my favorite Van Damme films, still an enjoyable watch.

Friday Night Lights

Fascinating film based on School American Football in Texas where the pressure on The Coach (Played brilliantly by Billy Bob Thornton) and players is so unfair, it's basically extreme. It's such a great film that you feel for them and whatever they are going through, you're going through it too.

I basically wanted them to go on the Pitch and basically stand there before a game and said enough is enough and I wanted Thornton's character to go off on all the people who felt that they know better than him and stick all their advice up their...

Even if your not an American Football fan, still watch this if you can.

Gauntlet

Clint Eastwood in a could have been Dirty Harry film in which he is charged with bringing a witness from Vegas to Phoenix whilst dealing with crooked Cops and Mafia Henchmen. One of those films, I was meaning to see and it was on TV and it's not a bad watch.

Shaft

Samuel L. Jackson is the Nephew of the original Shaft and he is determined to bring rich kid killer, Christian Bale to justice. Let's face it Jackson was the only choice to play this role, it fits him like a glove. Shorter than what I remembered it to be but still as watchable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (14.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg fnl.jpg (13.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg tg.jpg (13.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (13.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 4th April 2021, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Bible: In the Beginning... (1966)

An epic tale of death and disaster, sex and violence.

Based on the best selling book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Bible..._In_the_Beginning_theatrical_poster.jpg (93.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 5th April 2021, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Decapitarium (2021, Jeff Dunn)

If the RLM bunch don't cover this in their next Spotlight feature ...

A rather focused scientist goes for broke with his latest set of experiments, and pays the price most unreservedly ahem.
I can't quite make my mind up with this daft little film. Were they going for parody? A Paris Hilton clone finds out not all is well at her local college. It's not exam fatigue

Assignment Terror (1970)

AKA Dracula Vs Frankenstein.
Some aliens land with domination on their minds. Michael Rennie! Their plan is simple, reactivate some ancient foes in order to bring down society. A lot of fun this was. Paul Naschy turns up to put the proverbial hairy spanner in their works

The Cassandra Crossing (1976, George Pan Cosmatos)

Still one of my favourite disaster movies. A disparate bunch of travellers are forced into quarantine when one of their number is found to be carrying a nasty bug (and then some ). Richard Harris tries to remain calm. A hoot.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th April 2021, 11:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Bible: In the Beginning... (1966)

An epic tale of death and disaster, sex and violence.

Based on the best selling book.
That genuinely made me laugh and I'm still chuckling at the droll joke as I write this.

Old 5th April 2021, 01:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Continuing my Easter movies. I got behind because I was working all over the Easter period and more..

s-l500bbb.jpg
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2004)

Mel Gibson's violent and graphic depiction of the arrest, trial and crucifixion of Jesus.

lfnn.jpg
JESUS OF NAZARETH (1977)

Four part mini series. Robert Powell as Jesus has never been bettered. An all star cast in this fantastic version of the life of Christ. Superb music score by Maurice Jarre.
Old 5th April 2021, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Skin Collector (2012)

It's taken nine years for this serial killer film to get a release on these shores and i'm pleased it's finally arrived.

Whilst it's not in the same league as the best of the genre it's still a worthwhile addition. Starring John Jarratt as a killer who targets Danielle Harris whilst Casper Van Dien and Rae Dawn Chong are the detectives trying to track him down.

Although it's not exactly thrilling it always engages and throws up a surprise or two. Unfortunately the script at times is a let down with some clunky exposition as the detectives basically explain everything to one another or should i say to the viewer such as what a garrotte is. However there's some fun gore on offer and the finale is a gripper.

A final verdict would be that Skin Collector is occasionally flawed but entertaining all the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin-collector-dvd-cover.jpg (87.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 5th April 2021, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Mrs Doubtfire

Robin Williams is the divorced Father who dresses up in drag to be the Housekeeper to his ex-wife's house and look after his Children. This is a classic and still beloved movie.

Compliance

Incredibly based on 70 True Stories in which a Fast Food Restaurant Manger is coerced by a fake Police Officer over the phone into detaining and searching an employee which ends up being a Sexual Assault. A powerful film in which you wonder how people could be fooled by this and you think thank God when another employee sees through it.

On a side note, In Season 9 of Law And Order: Special Victims Unit, there is a episode based on this which guest stars, Robin Williams.

Trafficked

Another powerful film which sees Trafficked girls in a brothel plan their escape. Another film in which you are glad to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg md.jpg (12.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (11.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg t.jpg (11.6 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!