Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2021, 05:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yet more streaming;

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD – I didn’t really think I did ‘heartwarming’ horror, but OCOTD stands as proof that apparently, I do. It starts of as a clever meta-whatever in its depiction of a zombie film shoot spiralling into the chaos of an ‘actual’ undeathly onslaught – then steps sideways through a Russian Doll narrative which sees the nasty stuff replayed as the nice stuff. Sounds like an incomprehensible mess, but it’s actually fiendishly well structured; if that isn’t enough to put a smile on your face, then the winningly zany ending might be.

GRAND PIANO – With Elijah Wood as a concert pianist in the clutches of arch-criminal John Cusack. It’s a classic one-set thriller really, with an added layer of preposterousness that I quite like – it all plays out in the ‘real time’ of the piano performance, with Cusack calling the shots over Wood’s mobile as he sits tinkling the ivory. Might have amped things up a bit, taken its obvious artifice in an even more baroque direction, but a solid enough effort as it stands.

DON’T KNOCK TWICE – Pleasantly surprised by ‘Don’t Knock Twice’, which has all the external markings of a £3 Asda DVD special as-was. That wouldn't be an entirely inaccurate assessment, but a preoccupation with visual stylisation and a weirdly dreamy sense of discord raise it above ‘by the numbers’, in its first half at least. It ultimately settles down to something more mundane in its unfolding of the tale of a mother / estranged daughter reconciliation beset by the supernatural, but worth checking out nonetheless.

DEF BY TEMPTATION – This is more like it; eighties / nineties rock-video aesthetic overkill, right up my alley. You could backlight some dry ice and show it to me for hours and I’d be happy as a pig in shit. DBT has more going for it than good looks. It might not quite be the measure of its weighty theme of spiritual crisis, but it has a nightmarish atmosphere in places that goes beyond the classic VHS horror-type moments, of which there are many. Def-initely recommended.

MAYHEM – Today’s corporate resentment is low hanging fruit for the makers of ‘Mayhem’. It’s set in a high-rise office complex where a virus is running riot and causing the people to, well, run riot in classic ‘fast zombie’ style. Except not quite, for despite all the violent outbursts, sufferers can still cogitate and pause to relate for the convenience of plot contrivance, an aspect that might have made for a more interesting movie had it been explored differently. It’s not the only flaw of ‘Mayhem’, a well-made successor to the likes of ‘The Belko Experiment’ etc, which ends up a moderately entertaining but hollow corporate revenge fantasy.

Z – Errant imaginary playmate challenges young suburban family in ‘Z’, a stab at atmospheric horror which seems to have half an eye on ‘The Babadook’. It’s not the equal of that latter film, but I quite liked its initial reliance on ‘off’ vibes rather than obvious jumps, though there are a couple of those. Pursues quite a doom-laden course by the end. Worth a look.

ANYTHING FOR JACKSON – The reincarnation of a lost grandchild is the endless obsession of an elderly couple, who must descend to the stygian depths of ritual sacrifice to bring it all back home. AFJ has a nice line in dark humour that is not overplayed, and other than that does well with a creeping atmosphere and schlocky fun with the supernatural. Another solid flick.
Old 14th April 2021, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Goal of the Dead (2014)

Olympique Des Paris turn up in a small town to play a cup tie against a lowly fourth tier team. However as the game gets underway a genetically engineered zombie style virus leaks out and a football match turns into a fight for survival.

Hyped Here in the UK as Shaun of the Dead at a football match, this is a lazy depiction of the film. If i was to describe it i would say it was a horror film produced in the style of the excellent Taxi movies from the Luc Besson stable. Serious subjects broached with a certain type of laugh out loud humour which has a French twist rather than the lads down the pub approach to the English Simon Pegg film.

The success of the film lies solely with the writing as it certainly isn't a conventional zombie film - there is no flesh eating for a start. The script is so well written that even very minor characters appear to be well rounded and therefore memorable during the brief scenes in which they pop up. Billed as a film of two halves which is a play on the old football cliche of a game of two halves, the film makers don't disappoint. The first fifty or so minutes is all getting to know you chat among the team, fans and a couple of really funny tv pundits, this half boasts some blackly comical humour and is a pleasure to watch. Once the match is over the film stops we get some opening credits and the second half begins. It's totally unnecessary, but wholly original and a fun idea.

The second half of the film is run of the mill as various characters we already met in the first half, hole up in a bar and the fight for survival against the infected begins. Whilst the horror aspect is upped it really isn't anything new, the odd moment of laugh out loud humour aside nor is it scary.

On the whole Goal of the Dead is way overlong at two hours and falls apart when the horrors begin following a nicely scripted opening hour.
I may be wrong but, I'm sure that this was a 2 part series in France and we got it as a movie. I do agree with the review, it had a good start but lost it's way.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 14th April 2021, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Yet more streaming;

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD – I didn’t really think I did ‘heartwarming’ horror, but OCOTD stands as proof that apparently, I do. It starts of as a clever meta-whatever in its depiction of a zombie film shoot spiralling into the chaos of an ‘actual’ undeathly onslaught – then steps sideways through a Russian Doll narrative which sees the nasty stuff replayed as the nice stuff. Sounds like an incomprehensible mess, but it’s actually fiendishly well structured; if that isn’t enough to put a smile on your face, then the winningly zany ending might be.

GRAND PIANO – With Elijah Wood as a concert pianist in the clutches of arch-criminal John Cusack. It’s a classic one-set thriller really, with an added layer of preposterousness that I quite like – it all plays out in the ‘real time’ of the piano performance, with Cusack calling the shots over Wood’s mobile as he sits tinkling the ivory. Might have amped things up a bit, taken its obvious artifice in an even more baroque direction, but a solid enough effort as it stands.

DON’T KNOCK TWICE – Pleasantly surprised by ‘Don’t Knock Twice’, which has all the external markings of a £3 Asda DVD special as-was. That wouldn't be an entirely inaccurate assessment, but a preoccupation with visual stylisation and a weirdly dreamy sense of discord raise it above ‘by the numbers’, in its first half at least. It ultimately settles down to something more mundane in its unfolding of the tale of a mother / estranged daughter reconciliation beset by the supernatural, but worth checking out nonetheless.

DEF BY TEMPTATION – This is more like it; eighties / nineties rock-video aesthetic overkill, right up my alley. You could backlight some dry ice and show it to me for hours and I’d be happy as a pig in shit. DBT has more going for it than good looks. It might not quite be the measure of its weighty theme of spiritual crisis, but it has a nightmarish atmosphere in places that goes beyond the classic VHS horror-type moments, of which there are many. Def-initely recommended.

MAYHEM – Today’s corporate resentment is low hanging fruit for the makers of ‘Mayhem’. It’s set in a high-rise office complex where a virus is running riot and causing the people to, well, run riot in classic ‘fast zombie’ style. Except not quite, for despite all the violent outbursts, sufferers can still cogitate and pause to relate for the convenience of plot contrivance, an aspect that might have made for a more interesting movie had it been explored differently. It’s not the only flaw of ‘Mayhem’, a well-made successor to the likes of ‘The Belko Experiment’ etc, which ends up a moderately entertaining but hollow corporate revenge fantasy.

Z – Errant imaginary playmate challenges young suburban family in ‘Z’, a stab at atmospheric horror which seems to have half an eye on ‘The Babadook’. It’s not the equal of that latter film, but I quite liked its initial reliance on ‘off’ vibes rather than obvious jumps, though there are a couple of those. Pursues quite a doom-laden course by the end. Worth a look.

ANYTHING FOR JACKSON – The reincarnation of a lost grandchild is the endless obsession of an elderly couple, who must descend to the stygian depths of ritual sacrifice to bring it all back home. AFJ has a nice line in dark humour that is not overplayed, and other than that does well with a creeping atmosphere and schlocky fun with the supernatural. Another solid flick.
Regarding One Cut Of The Dead, it's extremely well made and very entertaining. I'm definitely interested in that new Blu-Ray edition that's been announced recently.
Old 14th April 2021, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Craft: Legacy. 2020.

Lily moves with her mum into her Boyfriend's house and adapts to a new town and makes friends with three other girls who practice witchcraft.

This was just almost a remake of the original 1996 film, same sort of plot, except there is a something of a twist that's easily worked out in the finale. Some scenes are the scenes and a few familiar phrases in the film, this just seemed like a very rush movie, only thing decent was the background score, if you are wanting to see it wait for the price to drop a bit more.

eq2-keyArt.jpg
Old 14th April 2021, 09:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Craft: Legacy. 2020.

Lily moves with her mum into her Boyfriend's house and adapts to a new town and makes friends with three other girls who practice witchcraft.

This was just almost a remake of the original 1996 film, same sort of plot, except there is a something of a twist that's easily worked out in the finale. Some scenes are the scenes and a few familiar phrases in the film, this just seemed like a very rush movie, only thing decent was the background score, if you are wanting to see it wait for the price to drop a bit more.

Attachment 232575
I'm definitely passing on this one. The Craft is one of my favourite movies of the 90's so a Blumhouse crapfest remake is simply sacrilegious to me.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th April 2021, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm definitely passing on this one. The Craft is one of my favourite movies of the 90's so a Blumhouse crapfest remake is simply sacrilegious to me.
Even Angie asked...was that it at the end credits, supposed to be a sequel but only a small tie in with the original.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th April 2021, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Porkies

The 80's American Pie only more ruder and just as funny. This sees a bunch of teens at High School trying to get laid, which involves going to a Strip Club/Brothel but end up getting ripped off by the titular Porkies.

When I first saw it on Channel 4, it had me in complete hysterics and still does to this day, the scenes include:

* A practical joke that results a boy running down a deserted street completely naked and passes a Sheriffs Car and the looks on a disbelieving Sheriffs.

* A P.E. Teacher finds out why Kim Catrell's character is nicknamed Lassie, as it can be heard during a Gym class.

* When spying the girls whilst they are showering, a boy sticks his manhood through a hole only for the tough female Gym Teacher to grab hold of it.

* The same female Teacher asking the Headmaster to have a line up of naked boys so she can identify the culprit.

SO SO FUNNY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th April 2021, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Love Porky's. Had me in tears of laughter at times. Another Eighties comedies I enjoyed was SKIN DEEP with John Ritter. The glow in the dark condom scene is classic.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 14th April 2021, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A classic that's not as disturbing as when i first watched it as a kid, was terrified to go to sleep for weeks. It's still highly enjoyable and unnerving that the one place you think you would be safe and have control you don't. As good as it is it's not my favourite that's number 3.

This was a lot more interesting and less eye rolling and bonkers than ancient aliens. For the most part no outlandish ideas and deals more with the government cover how and that only a select few know the true story and even too politicians are told and tells us that we are being conditioned by media that aliens are dangerous and will attack It does make you think, but not convinced by the argument that they are more advanced they will be peaceful , look at us the more advanced we gotten the more dangerous we have become. I did find the main guy annoying at times as he kept bursting into tears for the strangest reasons.

Now watching

Old 15th April 2021, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Yet more streaming;

As always F ....
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!