Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2021, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Craft: Legacy.

What did I really expect tbh? Not as tear-your-hair-out awful as that Black Christmas, but that's nae saying much
Not one memorable moment.

NEXT!!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2021, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Executioner, Part II (1984, James Bryan)

Chris Mitchum chases down a vigilante. Could it be an old army buddy??

This was more like it. The dialogue seems dubbed, the action is amateurish at best and the bad guys are as stock as characters come.
Haven't seen so many actors look into the camera in ages (including you Aldo Ray!! naughty naughty )
Don't go a-lookin' fer the first film, it don't exist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TEPT.jpg (22.4 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Banishing. 2020.

A young reverend and his wife and daughter move into a house with a supernatural past.

This was meant to be about the most haunted house in England in 1930s, it's more like the most non suspenseful film about a haunted house, the suspense is built up then it's like the enemy in The Neverending Story...Nothing. I have no idea how Sean Harris got persuaded to be in this film, he should have ran fast and ran far, even I feel embarrassed about watching it.

download (1).jpg
Old 15th April 2021, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Harper (1966)

Paul Newman stars as a Raymond Chandler style private detective trying to seek out Lauren Bacall's husband who has seemingly gone missing in a sunny 60's California, home to seedy bars, religious weirdos in hillside retreats and people smuggling rings

In all honesty there's nothing particularly new here, nothing you won't have seen in more famous examples of the Film Noir genre such as the earlier The Big Sleep (1946) or the later Chinatown (1974) where a PI with only his integrity and honour comes up against the dangerous games of the idle rich.

Where this does shine is in William Goldman's script. There's some juicy dialogue even if it lacks the cool and classy smoke and mirrors ambiguity of the aforementioned Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. Paul Newman seems to be having a blast as Lew Harper as do co-stars Bacall - in delightfully bitchy mode - Janet Leigh, Robert Wagner and Shelley Winters.

I must also mention that the California coast locations look spectacular in HD
Old 16th April 2021, 12:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Luz: The Flower Of Evil. 2020.

In a small Community, a cult leader believes a new child that has come to test his faith and brings destruction with him.

I wouldn't say this was a horror as such but more psychological atmospheric folk tale, it does seem set in the past but it's set more modern day era. Conrado Osorio plays El Senor who sees himself as a preacher and prophet of god and believes he is tested by a new god in the form of a male child while keeping his three daughters bound by religion and the devil that may be among them. The film can be a very slow burner but you never know what El Senor will do, there is a nice cinematography done from start to finish with a nice haunting background score, this may not be for some and may be entertaining for others.

Luz-Poster-art-540x800-1.jpg
Old 16th April 2021, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

2-Headed Shark Attack (2012)

Remember the Simpsons episode - The Springfield Files - where Mulder and Scully end up mesmerized by Homer running in only his pants whilst taking a physical test?

Well, Brooke Hogan in her bikini top has that same mesmeric effect on me throughout this daft but enjoyable Asylum production.

Seen this a couple of times now. Dumb but undeniably fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 916asBh44yL._AC_SY445_.jpg (39.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th April 2021, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
Love Porky's. Had me in tears of laughter at times. Another Eighties comedies I enjoyed was SKIN DEEP with John Ritter. The glow in the dark condom scene is classic.
Remember seeing the Skin Deep trailer on Braveworld Videos and I think one of my Video Shops had it but can't say I never fancied it. If it somehow showed up on a TV channel, then I'll probably give it a go.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

IMG_2068.jpg
RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK (1966)
THE REPTILE (1966)

Another original Hammer Films double bill.
What can you say? Another great night of viewing. I had not seen Rasputin in a while. Love the scene where Rasputin walks toward the window, opens it and stares out to Sonya. Really creepy!
Old 16th April 2021, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Rocky III

Rocky is The Heavyweight Champion of the World and his enjoying the fame that goes along with it. However a determined challenger, Clubber Lang (Played perfectly by Mr. T) beats him and after his trainer dies, he's trained by Apollo Creed for the rematch.

I must admit, I didn't like Rocky and Rocky II as I thought that they were done at a slower pace and III and IV moved along better for my liking. The Boxing scenes are unrealistic because no-one can sustain all those power shots. The best scene was definitely the Charity Wrestling Match where Hulk Hogan stole the film as Thunderlips and in the process caught the attention of the then WWF and that was that and WWF business boomed big time.

Also the VHS Rental Cover gives me nostalgic feelings.

Ghoulies

A baby is saved from being sacrificed and after he grows up, he becomes obsessed with Black Magic. TBH, whilst The Ghoulies are featured throughout the film, they only kill a couple times. It's not bad but's more of a possession type movie. Ghoulies 2 is the better film as The Ghoulies cause more mayhem.

For any fans of Law And Order: Special Victims Unit, Mariska Hargitay has a role in this.

Demolition Man

Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock star in one of the best Action Movies of all time, it's action packed as well as having humor and one-liners. Stallone and Phoenix play their roles well and I believe that this is Bullock's breakthrough role as a Policewoman who is obsessed with the 90's, the sex scene is hilarious.

This is one of those films, I would have loved to watched at the Cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riii.jpg (13.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (15.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg dm.jpg (14.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th April 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Enforcer (1976)

Clint Eastwood returns in his third outing as Detective Inspector Harry Callahan, this time teamed up with rookie former pen pushing Detective Moore - a genuinely spirited performance by Tyne Daly - as they attempt to stop a criminal gang who have stolen a cache of rocket launchers.

Whilst not the best of the series, i've always preferred the original Dirty Harry and follow up Magnum Force, this is still a cracking film with some sparkling dialogue and plenty of action. Eastwood and Daly work well together throughout with a nicely written yet provocative script and it's Callahan's ability to put down his so called superiors that produces the laughs in a film that perfectly balances humour and action in what is a gritty 70's crime movie.

It should also be noted that Callahan's famed .44 Magnum shatters windows when watched in HD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg igvzxPdlP81FmjNk1oMnkcHVeb8.jpg (29.8 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!