Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2021, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Denial

Timothy Spall is a Holocaust Denier who sues Author (Rachel Weiss) for slander, Tom Wilkinson is Weiss's Lawyer. Based on a True Story this has a powerful scene in which they visit Auschwitz but it's not a memorable film, one to catch on TV.

101 Dalmatians

Glenn Close is Cruella De Ville who has henchmen (Hugh Laurie & Mark Williams) steal the Dalmatian Puppies of Jeff Daniels and Joely Richardson. Fun adaptation.

Straight Outta Compton

Biopic based on the formation of the group, N.W.A and it's members. It follows all the highs and lows as they deal with Police, break ups, management and Surge Knight. I'm not a fan of N.W.A or it's members, but their story is interesting and the run time is long but it moves along at a nice pace, something happens regularly to stop the film from dragging along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (13.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 101d.jpg (14.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg soc.jpg (13.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th April 2021, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have to say I really enjoyed this, very creepy and atmospheric with some great imagery . Sheri moon plays one of the co-hosts of a metal/rock radio show who receives a mysterious record, when she plays it strange and disturbing things start happening, which could be linked to the strange old women who live downstairs. The devil midgets are quite laughable and by far the most disturbing thing in the film is Meg Foster in the buff, I still want too poke my eyes out!

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th April 2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 19th April 2021, 07:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In my current "self destruct" mode I forgot to mention I watched a film.

The flick in question would have to be

Nobody

Another Exploitation Movie of the decade. Sit back and watch it go off like a Roman Candle.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2021, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return Of The Rollerblade Seven (1992, Donald G Jackson)

The review then.

Starting with a lengthy recap of the parent film, this more or less continues straight after with our hero, lone wolf Hawk being tempted with a remarkable amount of deviousness by his nemesis St O'ffender.

Return to a world apart again with Scotty and co
I've never seen such anti pacing in a film.
This helps me tangentially as a Jess Franco zealot, as one of the stock criticisms of his work is that it is a tad languid sometimes , not after you've watched anything set in the Wheel Zone
OR
Imagine the world that exists in Whitesnake videos. Imagine a film set in that world. Not as exciting as that sounds either

Ahem. Tonight Samurai Vergers On Tricycles or whatever
Expect another glowing review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TROTRS.jpg (50.6 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2021, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's was highly enjoyable and very funny, a young woman is placed under house arrest in her mother's home, she takes no notice when says she thinks the house is haunted, but soon can't as her mind when strange things start happening. While not partially scary it's well acted ,tense and is very funny and the comedy flows naturally unlike a lot of comedy/ horror especially American ones . Have to say new Zealand has a knack for mixing comedy and horror.

Now watching . First viewing anyone seen it?

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th April 2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 19th April 2021, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Loved Housebound. Rewatch!!!
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
Old 19th April 2021, 09:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Now watching . First viewing anyone seen it?

Yes. Going to wait until you've seen it before saying anything else.

I know Nosferatu has seen it too.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Excellent another pleasant surprise , a modern updating on the Frankenstein story this time from the monsters point of view. Showing how those who are different are mistreated by society . Also shows how American thinks everything can be solved by a violence and a gun . Directed by Bernard Rose who directed Candyman this also stars Candyman himself as the creatures (Adam) only friend. Credit has to go too Xavier Samuel who plays Adam who gives emotional and believable performance. It might be me but was very satisfying when he killed that hateful cop with the mustache.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Excellent another pleasant surprise , a modern updating on the Frankenstein story this time from the monsters point of view. Showing how those who are different and mistreated by society . Also shows how American thinks everything can be solved by a violence and a gun . Directed by Bernard Rose who directed Candyman this also stars Candyman himself as the creatures (Adam) only friend. Credit has to go too Xavier Samuel who plays Adam who gives emotional and believable performance.
Glad you enjoyed it, Trebor. A low budget but original take on the Frankenstein story. For my money it's Tony Todd's best performance.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All noted!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!