Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2021, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Urban Legend (1998)

Someone's in the back... SEAT!

I remember not really enjoying this, I also remember the story being... erm, different. Turns out that in my head I managed to mix the killer of Cherry Falls with the one from this. I mean, you can forgive me, they both have awesome late 90s early 00s teen star casts!

However, on this rewatch I was really enjoying myself, I was thinking I'd score this one a 4/5 because I was having so much fun, and then the final 10-15 minutes literally ruined everything for me. However, Reese saved it somewhat, and that very last scene was good fun as well. Still very enjoyable, I'll rewatch this in a few months I think. 3.5/5

Look at this for a bit of weird serendipity, I last watched this 2 years ago to the day strange...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th April 2021, 03:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The 10th Victim (1965)

This is The Big Hunt. A deadly reality TV game show which selects both hunter and victim from participants; the two then chase one another around the globe. Kill your 10th victim and you'll want for nothing ever again.

A delightfully kitsch and super cool piece of Italian pop art starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress running around in fabulous Rome locations.

First time seeing the Shameless blu-ray and doesn't it look gorgeous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg affiche-la-dixieme-victime-the-10th-victim-1965-1.jpg (89.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 20th April 2021, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Heidi (2014, Daniel Ray)

"That'll teach you - The Movie"
Two "pranksters" meet their match when they go in search of props in a neighbour's attic
For once I wish they had dragged it out a bit more before the shenanigans start etc.
Reasonably effective in places.

Samurai Vampire Bikers From Hell (Scott Shaw)

Star of, other films ahem, SS helms a rather brusque wee feature, so threadbare is the plot, the sun shines through in most places. Murky goings on centred around some undead types who want the usual things in life ... freedom to slaughter and wear nice suits
Ahem.
The audio was hideously muffled in places, so more or less followed what occured
Would have fitted in nicely with all that SOV I chundered through a while back tbh ahem.

2 to go!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samurai-vampire-vhs.jpg (88.3 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th April 2021, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two rival Yakuza gangs are fighting for control of a city, a police office with connections too the yakuza is brought in too head a taskforce too stop them destroying the city. Having played the Yakuza games which I love but thought was Ott, but if this so anything too go by , they are quite accurate. One thing I don't get about Japanese films is the over acting of some actors at the point they are just squealing, but reading up it seems a culture thing steaming from the days of kabuki.

Now watching

Will probably watch one of these next but can't decide which.

Old 21st April 2021, 08:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Did you watch Harpoon or Death Has Blue Eyes, or neither?
Old 21st April 2021, 09:09 AM
Cult Veteran

I really quite enjoyed Harpoon if you're still interested/undecided, one of those claustrophobic young people stuck on a boat kinda films

Are you streaming these on the Arrow Player?

Old 21st April 2021, 12:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When you mention Harpoon i take it you don't mean Harpoon: The Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre? A 2009 film with Gunnar Hansen.
Old 21st April 2021, 12:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mad Dog Killer (1977)

Known as Beast With a Gun, Mad Dog Killer is a fast paced, violent Italian crime thriller starring Helmut Berger, who escapes prison along with three other convicts and goes on a cruel rampage against those who wronged him.

Berger is very good here though sadly completely unlikable. The film is full of shoot outs, brutal murders, rape and other horrors the likes of which the BBFC would definitely not have approved back in the day. Marisa Mell and Richard Harrison as the put upon dame and police inspector trying to end Berger's reign of terror, cope well Harrison is no Maurizio Merli and the film belongs to Berger.

Mad Dog Killer come the end is a fairly standard Italian crime film, similar to Bava's Cani Arrabiati but not just as good, however the relentless violence on offer brings it to a whole new level. A good film - yes. Fun - No.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg la_belva_col_mitra-464833933-large.jpg (96.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st April 2021, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When you mention Harpoon i take it you don't mean Harpoon: The Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre? A 2009 film with Gunnar Hansen.
No, it's an American indie horror from 2019 (maybe, might have made that up) it's out from Arrow.

Old 21st April 2021, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rollerblade Warriors: Taken By Force (1989)

A more conventional structure to this beast. Imagine if you will, a post apocalypse populated generally from the casts of Adam & The Ants and Bonnie Tyler videos. Evil stuff needs thwarting. Girls get it done in this enpowering tale of death and hairspray (is this what caused the world to end? it always seemed to be the case in this period hahaha ahem. I digress ...)
An unpleasantness later on spoils the campy tone, but still a high recommend.

I've just discovered .... another part to this puzzle ... Legend Of The Rollerblade Seven .... UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAIR GIES : nod:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBW.jpg (99.1 KB, 8 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!