Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2021, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

I love Stagefright. Dare I say it, better than any of Argento's... I think I just did!
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 27th April 2021, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Gotta think that Stage Fright has to be up for a (UK based) Blu-Ray release soon?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th April 2021, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Strip Nude For Your Killer

People connected to a Modelling Agency are murdered. Standard film really, lots of nudity and a title which makes it seem sleazy, but the end scene was a bit weird.

Oasis Of Fear

Umberto Lenzi directed film in which a young couple are being kicked out of Italy (For selling nude pictures of the girl, not sure if that really happens) however on the way they encounter a woman with a secret. There are the makings of an entertaining movie here but unfortunately it doesn't hit the mark, maybe if they made the couple actually likeable. Oh well.

It's disappointing what has happened with Shameless, when they first launched, I got really excited with the films they were releasing early on and I liked the fact that they have a trailer reel beforehand (Which peaks my interest for other titles, ones that I may not have looked up online for research purposes) this is something that 88 Films and Arrow sadly lack as I believe a few trailers beforehand may get people interested in their catalogues.

I think Shameless lost their way when they started releasing titles like Top Sensation, Viva and The Nurse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snfyk.jpg (15.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg oof.jpg (13.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th April 2021, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Strip Nude For Your Killer

People connected to a Modelling Agency are murdered. Standard film really, lots of nudity and a title which makes it seem sleazy, but the end scene was a bit weird.

Oasis Of Fear

Umberto Lenzi directed film in which a young couple are being kicked out of Italy (For selling nude pictures of the girl, not sure if that really happens) however on the way they encounter a woman with a secret. There are the makings of an entertaining movie here but unfortunately it doesn't hit the mark, maybe if they made the couple actually likeable. Oh well.

It's disappointing what has happened with Shameless, when they first launched, I got really excited with the films they were releasing early on and I liked the fact that they have a trailer reel beforehand (Which peaks my interest for other titles, ones that I may not have looked up online for research purposes) this is something that 88 Films and Arrow sadly lack as I believe a few trailers beforehand may get people interested in their catalogues.

I think Shameless lost their way when they started releasing titles like Top Sensation, Viva and The Nurse.

It was Night Train murders that made me end up here, I found it in a shop on back was the website and rest is history, but tbh I think length of time they’ve been going and amount of films they’ve released it quite slow and poor really, but credit where credit due that have introduced me to some films I hadn’t heard of.
Old 27th April 2021, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Gotta think that Stage Fright has to be up for a (UK based) Blu-Ray release soon?
It's already had one, it's out of print now but I'm sure you could still pick one up if you had a look around for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303976794...gAAOSwKBBghtc7
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th April 2021, 09:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

OIP.jpg
MIDNIGHT COWBOY (1969)

'Hustler' John Voight sets off to New York with a dream of making money off the ladies. He meets up with down and out Dustin Hoffman and the pair strike up an unlikely friendship..
This is a fantastic movie and well deserving of it's Academy Awards.
I had not seen this movie in ages, so good to watch again. Funny, sad, emotional. Great!
Old 27th April 2021, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Personally i think they lost their way when they basically stopped releasing things.
Old 28th April 2021, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Personally i think they lost their way when they basically stopped releasing things.
True, however these were released whilst they were putting stuff out more regularly.

I felt that these sort of titles, while it was good that they were trying a different genre, just seemed the start of the label floundering.
Old 28th April 2021, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Slayer (1982)

The Slayer was the first VIPCO sell-thru tape i ever bought so i've always had a soft spot for this often clumsy film.

The main problem for director JS Cardone, best known as the screenwriter for remakes of Prom Night and The Stepfather, is the lack of characters. With only four central protagonists to work with the killings have to be rather spaced out during the film's 90 minute running time, and there aren't really enough bloody deaths to sustain it, so we are left with many a sequence being far too talky and others of bland exposition "It's from my dreams".

Having been negative so far the film just about gets by without becoming boring. It's beach front location is interesting and well utilized and Cardone gives proceedings an almost Gothic like atmosphere. The creature itself is a splendid creation - a gnarly skeletal figure, and the gore effects well realized.

I realise what i'm about to say leaves me open to a lot of ridicule but i prefer the old VIPCO dvd release of The Slayer to Arrow's sparkling 4K print.

In all truth it's not a very good film and pales in comparison to many slashers of the time. The old VIPCO release wasn't bad in the picture quality stakes, in fact it was for the most part quite sharp especially when upscaled but at the same time it was also quite badly marked with a light sheen on it's right hand side during the darkly lit scenes. However this damage also gave the film a kind of mystical atmosphere which suited the film's dream like premise, giving an impression of peering into a grotesque netherworld, an impression that the newly restored print totally loses. Arrow's release is polished and slick looking (Incidentally two words never usually associated with director JS Cardone) with much of the weirdness lost, leaving us with a distinctly average and rather talky slasher film which takes an eternity to get going and doesn't really have enough murder set pieces to sustain it's ninety minute run time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slayer_1982_poster_01.jpg (85.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th April 2021, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
True, however these were released whilst they were putting stuff out more regularly.

I felt that these sort of titles, while it was good that they were trying a different genre, just seemed the start of the label floundering.
I really like Oasis of Fear so i can't really agree with you there.

Horses for courses etc.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!