All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2021, 02:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

Also Alice Cooper spears some poor scientist through the belly with a rusty old bike frame!
As I have mentioned before, Alice resurrected this gag for his live shows

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th May 2021, 02:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Child's Play. 1988.

A young boy receives a good guy doll for his birthday that is possessed by the soul of a killer.

The one that started it off the Chucky movies, director Tom Holland teamed with Don Mancini for this piece of horror/thriller from the good old 80s. Despite a bit of a slow start the tension is well built up even though Chris Sarandon tries to turn the charm he had in Fright Night to single mother Catherine Hicks. Alex Vincent plays the young Andy who wants a good guy doll only to get the one that's possessed by Brad Dourif, who transferred his soul into it after a shootout and needs a another body to inhabitant. For me this is a classic film with a great haunting background score by Joe Renzetti.

Childs_Play.jpg
Old 4th May 2021, 05:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A highly enjoyable parody of slasher movies specifically Friday the 13. After a teenage girls mother is killed in a car accident she ends up in the slasher film camp bloodbath, she starred in after accident of a screening of the film. She and her friends have to try too survive the psychotic killer while the young woman has too deal with her mother being alive. Great parody of the 80s slashers. With some enjoyable kills and very likable cast. I found this a more enjoyable Friday the 13th than the original.

It still has many faults , the terrible acting of Anakin the overly long pod race and jar jar ****** binks. But we have the fantastic duel of the fates lightsaber battle Qui-Gon Minn and this time round I even quite liked the Senate scenes. A lot better than the new trilogy with probably the exception of the force awakens. AT the end of the day dispite it's faults it still feels like a star wars movie something that can't be said on the whole about the new trilogy

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th May 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 4th May 2021, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Dead Pool (1988)

Not my favourite of the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry films nor the worst (Hello Sudden Impact and Sondra Locke). The Dead Pool is a little on the formulaic side with a plot sat somewhere in the middle of slasher and cop thriller.

The film has a few fun set pieces and isn't lacking in ideas, such as the car chase through San Francisco's streets where Callaghan is being pursued by a nifty remote control car, whilst Harry's visit to San Quentin brings a laugh or two. If made now it actually has a great cast in Eastwood, Liam Neeson, Jim Carrey and even Guns N' Roses in walk on parts, but on the whole The Dead Pool lacks something in comparison to Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.

Having said that tonight must be the 20th time i've watched it and i certainly prefer it to any Ryan Reynolds film with a similar name.
Could have sworn that I saw articles stating that there were rumors that Gran Torino was to be a Dirty Harry movie. To give closure or to pass the torch.
Old 4th May 2021, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jersey Boys

Film based on the musical based on the story of Frankie Valli And The For Seasons. A fine film telling an interesting story with a couple of funny bits.

Sully: Miracle On The Hudson

Tom Hanks plays Sully who landed a Plane on the Hudson River. Aaron Eckhart plays his Co-Captain. Again another fine effort which focuses on the Investigation with my favorite bit being when he was able to prove his point that the recreations were faulty and the look of disdain of his friends when it was revealed that there were 17 practice attempts at the simulation.

Best Laid Plans

Not the Reece Witherspoon Film but one based loosely based Off Mice And Men where Stephen Graham is in debt and is forced to persuade the person he cares for (Adewale Akinnudye-Agbaje) to fight in Underground Cage Fights. Not bad, you did feel for Agbaje's character when he was in distress whilst fighting.

Porkies II: Next Day

Enjoyable sequel which follows the lads as they face off against a Religious Group and The KKK. Very enjoyable throwbacks to some of the funniest scenes from the 1st Porkies. In my opinion, a very under-rated film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jb.jpg (9.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg smoth.jpg (10.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg blp.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg piind.jpg (12.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th May 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched that Lockout, the Guy Pearce thing. Laughed a lot at Gilgun's "accent" . What a load of nonsense twas.
Does Maggie Grace do nothing but get kidnapped during her career or what?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2021, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched that Lockout, the Guy Pearce thing. Laughed a lot at Gilgun's "accent" . What a load of nonsense twas.
Does Maggie Grace do nothing but get kidnapped during her career or what?
I thought it was a lot better film second time around.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th May 2021, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was a lot better film second time around.
I may watch it sober certainly. The good neighbour wanted some solace as his family life isn't great at the moment. He asked me to pick the next film, so on went The Fog. Even as squiffy as I am, it still works. But then it does. you could pick holes in it all day long, but as a whole it works. Much like yer boy Lovecraft . The overall effect trounces any underlying faults.

Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2021, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I may watch it sober certainly. The good neighbour wanted some solace as his family life isn't great at the moment. He asked me to pick the next film, so on went The Fog. Even as squiffy as I am, it still works. But then it does. you could pick holes in it all day long, but as a whole it works. Much like yer boy Lovecraft . The overall effect trounces any underlying faults.

Ahem.
You could have claimed Lockout was a Carpenter film too.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll leave that for the rewatch methinks.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!