Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2021, 04:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

Blu-ray gave this previously unloved by me movie a new lease of life last night.

As much as the picture quality of blu-ray is a step up from dvd it's the surround sound that is the true difference and makes HD viewing such an immersive experience.

The opening twenty minutes as Alice (Milla Jovovich) and her clones attack the Tokyo based Umbrella HQ was stunning. Bullets richochet from speaker to speaker, knives whoosh around the room and explosions shake the walls, but it's the quieter sounds that are the real joy such as smashed glass windows tinkling to the ground around my head and the sound of a shower as though i'd just walked into it myself. These Resident Evil discs are a fabulous showcase for a quality 5:1 surround sound system.

Perhaps watching Afterlife so soon after the previous three films helped enhance my enjoyment of it. I've always felt it was a make weight entry to the series and one that doesn't really carry the overall plot much further along the line, but last night it made more sense, had some excellent set pieces (The Axeman and his thundering axe) and i had a good time with it.

As a final thought. Why is Wentworth Miller always imprisoned? Talk about type cast.
Old 8th May 2021, 05:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is this out on disc, Frankie? Sounds up my street being a British horror...and Winner makes at a winner.
My blu-ray comes via Shout Factory, which probably means it's region A (it's at the bottom of a huge bagful of stuff now, otherwise I'd check).
It's set in America, so doesn't have much of a Brit ambience, and I don't really know what makes a typical 'Winner flick' although it has something of the atmosphere of his more over the top stuff. Speaking of over the top, my review probably got a bit overheated in stressing the weirdness angle, but there's no denying there's something gloriously garbled (and just plain bad) about it.
Old 8th May 2021, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lovely Molly. 2011.

Molly and her new husband move into her childhood home, with her husband away and Molly being a ex drug addict, memories from her childhood come back and believes she is being haunted by a demon.

This is the second time watching this and still find it confusing, don't get me wrong the acting from Gretchen Lodge as Molly is brilliant and is able to play a ex addict decently, but the plot of the story is confusing, is she really being haunted or is she relapsing or is the stuff her and her sister smoking causing them to hallucinate and bring back repressed memories for them both?

The tone of the film is dark which helps generate the atmosphere of the story within a secluded house and does a have similarity of the film The Entity to it, like where Molly goes she seems to be followed and create a lot of suspense and tension to the film, maybe a third watch will help at some point.

p9160647_p_v10_aa.jpg
Old 8th May 2021, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Herbert West is back too his old tricks after a brief stint in South America , as well as creating strange creatures , he has a wife beating copper not on his trail is making a girl friend for Dan from various body parts as well as the nobody Doctor Carl Hill whos not as dead as Herbert thought. A enjoyable and gory sequel but just how did Herbert survive he was strangled by zombie intestines in the first

The more I seen it the more I've enjoyed it, first viewing wasn't impressed but enjoyed it more each viewing , thanks to the great cast of character's top among them Donald Glover as Lando who shines in the role , he's one superfly space mother trucker with a fine line of space capes andwho's also a robosexual. I think they should of went with the story of Han from the trilogy of books I've read, but over all it was still enjoyable story .

Now watching .

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th May 2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 8th May 2021, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
“31”
Dir. Rob Zombie

I really love House of 1000 corpses. And I really want to enjoy another Rob Zombie movie as much as I enjoy House of 1000 corpses. But, oh my god...

I feel like he’s trying to be the horror equivalent of Quentin Tarantino - like constantly turning everything up to 11. The bad language. The extended pseudo intellectual dialogue. The violence. Every single one of the characters just ends up so unlikeable it’s hard to stay focused on any aspect of the film.

Anyone else have an opinion on this one? Am I the odd one out?

Another one for the “I watched it so you don’t have to” file.

Attachment 233108

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elements of it are interesting, but as you say it's just overload for overloads sake imho.
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th May 2021, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SILENT SCREAM – A bunch of college kids get stabbed in an old mansion by the sea. It’s a picturesque mood piece that goes more for a sense of windswept mystery than bloodbath excess – I was reminded of ‘Black Christmas’ in a way, that kind of pre-slasher feel together with a certain off-handedness of tone, the setting and the back-story both lending a semi-gothic accent. It’s maybe a little too drawn-out to be utterly engrossing, although there are plenty of long shadows and cobwebby corners for those who, like me, enjoy a certain kind of atmosphere. The whole thing shifts up a gear when Barbara Steele enters the stage. She’s just such a magnetic persona that her presence can’t help but transform the very nature of the film.

THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD – Yet more early eighties American college students, this time doing something in an old campus building, I forget what exactly. Everything’s closing down, there’s a vague ‘Assault On Precinct 13’ feeling in the air; that’s as far as the comparison goes, this is strictly by-the-numbers-slasher territory when all’s said and done. What marks it out is a kind of grotty feel. Its landscape is made up of deserted buildings of a concrete brutalist hue, and the 16mm production brings a gritty, slightly soiled texture to everything, amping up a rote exercise into something that seems a bit more atmospheric. There is a little bit of gore alongside your basic corridor-wandering.

WE SUMMON THE DARKNESS – Despite an interesting setting (late eighties US, at the height of the ‘heavy metal is satanic’ debacle), ‘We Summon The Darkness’ doesn’t quite pull it off. There’s a bit of gore here and there, a few nice curveballs and a satirical (but not very well elaborated) context that seems to want to deal with the horrors of the religious right, but the main flaws are around narrative clunkiness and an abiding sense of ‘it just wouldn’t happen that way’. I’m obviously no stranger to films where ‘pretty much all of this shit just absolutely would not happen in any way whatsoever’, but WSTD is well-made and aspires to present a cursory realism for its audience to sink into whilst the horrors unfold, so something a bit tighter and less ‘convenient’ was required. For those willing and able to overlook such drawbacks, WSTD may still hold a bit of entertainment value, so I say it’s worth checking out.

SCREAM FOR HELP – Speaking of unlikely stories… what the f*ck was Michael Winner on when he made this?! I might have to rewatch it sober just to be certain, but from what I recall, ‘Scream For Help’s’ utter bizarreness seems beyond doubt. And it all sounds so basic… a girl in a small town is convinced her step-father is scheming to off her mother, so she goes detective to find out what’s going on. The conventional plot is a Trojan Horse whose strange interior is as hard to define as it is to fathom, but in the end the weirdness is about tone – ‘Scream For Help’ is shrill, disjointed, and has the same cloying unreality as a couch made of marshmallow in a lounge overstuffed with foul trinkets and strange statues… come to think of it, that might even have been a scene in the film. There is a sudden and decisive shift in atmosphere as we head into the film’s latter phase, and the fact that the last half hour is nothing other than a straight, tense and well-oiled home invasion sequence reveals the first hour as a deliberately contrived exercise in bad-taste baroque… but why? A hugely enigmatic movie, please someone else out there watch it and give an opinion to prove I’m not going mad.

SFH is an odd beast alright. I sat agog, reminded partly of Betrayal and partly of Deathtrap in places, Possession in others .... REWATCH.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th May 2021, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This is a enjoyable Irish horror/comedy . A small Irish village is home to a vampire legend which was partially responsible from Stokers ,Dracula Just don't mention his name too the locals. A vampire is released after roadworks and an accident damages a burial mound. A very different take on the vampire legend and more enjoyable for it. It's up to a farther and son and there friends to save there village from a great evil. Likable characters and quite funny in places.

By far the best of the new movies, I put it up their with Empire. This is a star wars movie in ever sense of the word, felt closer to all the characters in this than any of the new lot in the new trilogy . K-2SO be my favourite, it's great how it fits perfectly into a new hope, nearly seamless branching the two together . Easily the darkest star wars movie (not picture wise that's Solo which was so dark at times you couldn't see anything) and boasting one of the best battles.

Original trilogy up later this week, I will be watching the none bastardised versions .

Last edited by trebor8273; 9th May 2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 9th May 2021, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
“31”
Dir. Rob Zombie

I really love House of 1000 corpses. And I really want to enjoy another Rob Zombie movie as much as I enjoy House of 1000 corpses. But, oh my god...

I feel like he’s trying to be the horror equivalent of Quentin Tarantino - like constantly turning everything up to 11. The bad language. The extended pseudo intellectual dialogue. The violence. Every single one of the characters just ends up so unlikeable it’s hard to stay focused on any aspect of the film.

Anyone else have an opinion on this one? Am I the odd one out?

Another one for the “I watched it so you don’t have to” file.

Attachment 233108

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Must admit, I'd rather enjoyed this one.
Old 9th May 2021, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Wrong Turn. 2021.

Friends hiking in a remote part of America stumble upon a group of people living in the wilderness.

If you are thinking of this being like the original movie with cannibalistic inbred hillbillies the you may as well watch the original, this is way different. There is a decent amount of gore, but the killings have been seen and done more but there is a good amount of suspense and tension built up from the first ten minutes of the film, there is some decent acting involved but sadly not one I would come back to anytime soon. If anyone is going to watch it avoid the spoiler part and maybe you can enjoy it better than I did.

Attachment 233088
From what I hear, the film isn't bad, they would have been better off giving it a different title instead of Wrong turn
Old 9th May 2021, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

National Lampoon's Dirty Movie

Comedy film in which a Christopher Meloni is a Director wanting to make a film which acts out the most dirty/offensive jokes imaginable. Similar to Movie 43 and The Aristocrats, this certainly has it's moments and some of the jokes are actually funny, therefore if you are into this kind of thing, give it a shot.

Jurassic Park

Sam Neil, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum are taken to Jurassic Park in order to give it a seal of approval for investors but the Dinosaurs start going on a rampage. Classic film, still a good watch. I still remember the warning it was scary for anyone under 8, must admit it I didn't think it was all that scary and I thought that the kids were made of sterner stuff back then lol.

Buddy Games

A group of friends reunite and restart a competition between themselves. The only thing that's good about this film is the idea.

On the other hand, this is one of the worst movies, I've ever seen, none of the characters are even remotely likeable, it's not as if they realize that they haven't therefore need to grow up either. I really believe that this film either didn't have any test audiences or it was done in front of a Fraternity.

Jurassic World

Jurassic World has opened and a newly designed Dinosaur has run amok therefore it's up to Chris Pratt and Dallas Bryce Howard to save the day. I really like this film, so entertaining.

Porky's Revenge

The Angel Beach gang are back and they have to save their Basketball Coach from Porky who has started to run a Gambling Riverboat. Not bad, has it's moments but not as good as the other 2.

Grown Ups

Adam Sandler and his friends take their families to a Summer Cabin when their old Basketball Coach dies. Another enjoyable film which while has a couple of gross out moments, they don't dominate the film.

Social Network

Story based on the formation and fallout of Facebook. Really enjoyable and a easy watch thanks to making any potential computer and legal terms easy to understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nldm.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jp.jpg (14.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bg.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jw.jpg (12.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg pr.jpg (13.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg gu.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sn.jpg (11.1 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!