Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2021, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

I'm surprised Army of the Dead is getting so much flack. On paper it sounds great and there's only one film Snyder has made I really don't like and that's Suckerpunch.
I've watched the first 20 minutes and was really enjoying it so I'll still give it a go when I have chance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 25th May 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)

An absolutely delightful story showing how the film version of Mary Poppins came to be.

Emma Thompson is bewitching as Poppins creator and novelist P.L. Travers, whilst Tom Hanks once again, in his portrayal of Walt Disney, proves he's one of Hollywood's finest actors, not just of his generation but of all time.

Thompson's scenes with Bradley Whitford, Jason Schwartzman and B. J. Novak as they test out storyboards and songs are a highlight as is Paul Giamatti's turn as Traver's chauffeur around Hollywood.

The biggest complement i can give this charming film is that it made me go out and buy the dvd of Mary Poppins when i first saw it, because at the time i'd never actually seen the classic musical.

I'm normally cynical as far as 21st century Disney goes but i hold my hands up and admit that the mouse wins this round.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sect. 1991.

A kindergarten teacher becomes involved with a satanic cult and a well beneath her house may hold a secret.

I was never really a fan of this film from Michele Soavi even though I appreciated his other films but over time I have been drawn to this film that it's more appreciated now. It does have some imaginative plot that goes off the rails and back on again even with Herbert Lom as you don't know whether he is a saviour or a cult member, his acting methods are always pleasant to see in his films. Kelly Curtis plays the teacher Miriam who seems to be a target for this satanic cult and tries to evade them. The film does go on a bit and tends to drag but worth a watch.

download.jpeg
Old 26th May 2021, 01:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 233459
ZACK SNYDERS JUSTICE LEAGUE. (2021)

This is epic. It's like watching a completely different movie.. in fact it is a different movie in all ways. The four hour run time gives the characters time to breath, fills in back stories. It's just amazing to watch, there is so much in this movie. For the most part, this movie is now serious stuff as a lot of scenes now are gone. It even contains a new music score. Awesome!
I'm frightened that I might like Josstice League more. If I post that on the internet, I'll get destroyed!! btw Bear in mind that I'm a guy that thought it was hilarious when Flash drew on that guy's face with a marker pen.
Old 26th May 2021, 01:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Sect. 1991.

A kindergarten teacher becomes involved with a satanic cult and a well beneath her house may hold a secret.

I was never really a fan of this film from Michele Soavi even though I appreciated his other films but over time I have been drawn to this film that it's more appreciated now. It does have some imaginative plot that goes off the rails and back on again even with Herbert Lom as you don't know whether he is a saviour or a cult member, his acting methods are always pleasant to see in his films. Kelly Curtis plays the teacher Miriam who seems to be a target for this satanic cult and tries to evade them. The film does go on a bit and tends to drag but worth a watch.

Attachment 233476
The Sect is easily my least favourite Michele Soavi horror film but it still performs well enough for me to want to keep a blu-ray of it. I've seen a couple of folks on the 'net praising Herbert Lom here but personally it comes across as a rather dodgy *cough splutter* type performance. A part that I really struggle with, is the very risible 'attack by handkerchief ' moment. Still, parts of it are great.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 26th May 2021, 07:21 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Army of the Dead', Netflix.
Robot zombies??

Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2021, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's just bizarre that Snyder can make something like this then produce the worst sort of shite like Army of the Duds!
His whole career is a bit up and down when you look at it.
I'm pleased with all the positive reviews of his Justice League re-cut though so I'm going to give it a chance, I'm pretty sure that I gave the original version a very mediocre 2 stars when I watched it last year.
trebor8273 and Dave Boy like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th May 2021, 10:11 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tag

If there one sure about the Japanese and their films you can guarantee the chances are they’ll be random, bizarre and know how to use they’re imagination and Tag was no exception, so if anyone seen it and know wtf went on and the storyline then please explain, I was so confused I was going to give up half way through but there was something about the film that kept me watching till the end, weird, random, and plenty action blood gore guts for the gore hounds and one of the most unusual bloody opening of a film you’ll ever see.
I love the films of Sion Sono, but I watched this earlier in the year on Amazon and I hated it... He has far better films. Check out The Forest of Love on Netflix for example.
gag likes this.

Old 26th May 2021, 10:17 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Sect. 1991.

Attachment 233476
I wasn't a huge fan of The Sect when I first saw it, bought an ex-rental VHS after seeing The Church and Stage Fright (in the 90s), and never watched it again since. The Blu came out from Shameless and the reviews were pretty awful, smeary mess in the wrong aspect ratio (stretched) so I held off from buying it. Then in Tokyo last year I found a used copy (used in Japan is essentially brand new with the cellophane removed) for around a tenner and watched it again. It is too long, but I found it interesting and did enjoy it. Definitely worth watching it again if you haven't seen it for a number of years.

Old 26th May 2021, 01:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Delirium: Photo of Gioia (1987)

Take Serena's Grandi's out of this film and there's not an awful lot left other than some weird aesthetics.

Not one of Lamberto Bava's best i'm afraid.

Like this? Share it using the links below!