Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2021, 06:14 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Jackie Brown. 1997.

Air stewardess Jackie Brown is arrested with money and cocaine, she is released on a bail bond By Max Cherry who is paid by Ordell Robbie, Jackie plans on setting up Ordell to the police in exchange for her freedom.

I'm not a huge fan of Quentin Taratino except for Kill Bill movies and Pulp Fiction but this one I thoroughly enjoyed with the way he is able to make a homage to the film noir genre without any one doing the voice over as the movie generally speaks for itself with a great assortment of actors and how a double cross is paced out three different view points with some dark humour mixed in and plenty of Samuel L. Jackson swearing and Pam Grier playing homage to her exploitation movie years.

Attachment 233504
One of his better films. Tremendous soundtrack i thought. I've seen all his films apart from the recent one. I like this, Pulp Fiction and the Hateful Eight best.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A strange creature creature is killing the residents of a small town. A local police detective sets out solve the killing which could be linked too dumping of toxic waste. Martin Landau co stars . Enjoyable z movie nonsense.

Blind watch which I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. In the near future the West is in a decline as it battles China, a scientist is working in a government facility who is working on androids and AI for the military but is secretly working to cure his young daughter. Tobey Stephens plays the scientist , Caity Lotz plays the "machine " whom gives a great performance and we have Wedge Antilles ( Denis Lawson) himself as the government official who runs the base. Slow burning and worth a watch.

Now watching.

Old 27th May 2021, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombieland. 2009.

A student, a guun totting zombie killer looking for a twinkie and two sisters looking to get to a theme park travel across a zombie infested America.

Aside from Cockney's vs Zombies, Shaun of the dead, this is one had me in stitches, aside from the rules that help you survive a zombie apocalypse, Woody Harrleson makes this film comical with his antics on how he kills and makes attention. Bill Murray appears as himself in a small comedic role that brings more laughs and plenty blood splatter. Jesse Eisenberg plays the young student Columbuswho manages to create the rules to survive and manages to break one or two.

zombieland-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
Old 28th May 2021, 11:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sputnik (2020)

Excellent Russian sci-fi horror film. Similar in feel to classic Quatermass, it takes in the story of a young Russian psychiatrist, under review for her controversial methods, recruited by the military and taken to a secret base where a newly returned cosmonaut is housed after surviving a mysterious accident whilst out in space.

There's some genuine tension and creepiness that i simply wasn't expecting together with an awesome creature design. It's a simple enough story and features a great dynamic between the doctor (Oksana Akinshina) and the cosmonaut (Pyotr Fyodorov) as they try to make sense out of what happened as well as battling against the controlling authorities who have other nefarious plans in store.

Anyone wanting a well made sci-fi horror could do far worse than Sputnik. I really enjoyed it.

Nice one Trebor, for bringing this to my attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sputnik-movie-poster.jpg (80.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th May 2021, 11:40 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Jackie Brown. 1997.

Air stewardess Jackie Brown is arrested with money and cocaine, she is released on a bail bond By Max Cherry who is paid by Ordell Robbie, Jackie plans on setting up Ordell to the police in exchange for her freedom.

I'm not a huge fan of Quentin Taratino except for Kill Bill movies and Pulp Fiction but this one I thoroughly enjoyed with the way he is able to make a homage to the film noir genre without any one doing the voice over as the movie generally speaks for itself with a great assortment of actors and how a double cross is paced out three different view points with some dark humour mixed in and plenty of Samuel L. Jackson swearing and Pam Grier playing homage to her exploitation movie years.

Attachment 233504
This is my Fav Taratino by far, perhaps it's quite telling that he didn't write the story (just adapted it for the screen)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th May 2021, 11:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This is my Fav Taratino by far, perhaps it's quite telling that he didn't write the story (just adapted it for the screen)
Definitely top three for me. Dogs and Hollywood being the other two.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 28th May 2021, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran

I've not watched ...Hollywood yet. I think I should sort that out soon. A lot of people really like it. I think I held off because when it came out I had recently watched the Coen Bros Hollywood film, the name of which escapes me right now

Old 28th May 2021, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran

Hail, Caesar! haha

Old 28th May 2021, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombieland: Double Tap. 2019.

Columbus, Tallahasse, Little Rock and Wichita, are still travelling through zombie infested America and trying to make a life for themselves, but the zombie population is growing and getting smarter, while trying to find a save haven in a small population called Babylon.

Do sequels work and become more entertaining than it's predecessor, sometimes they do and others fall flat on their faces and fail, this one did work. The group have names for their zombies as to which is smart and dumb, Woody Harrleson is just as wacky as ever which makes it more enjoyable even if he has no weapons at hand to use and tends to be creative even with some sarcastic comments with Emma Stone about new comer Madison. Jesse Eisenberg still lives by the commandments of the apocalypse and Abigail Breslin seems to find a new friend Berkeley. Entertaining but does go off the rails a bit then back on track.

91h0AVhCIlL._RI_.jpg
Old 28th May 2021, 11:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've not watched ...Hollywood yet. I think I should sort that out soon. A lot of people really like it. I think I held off because when it came out I had recently watched the Coen Bros Hollywood film, the name of which escapes me right now
I've only seen it the one time and thought it excellent. I had a buzz watching it and it's kinda stuck in my head ever since.

I'd like to watch it again. Dvd or new blu-ray though? Decisions, decisions...

Like this? Share it using the links below!