Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2021, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sand Sharks (2011)

It's about sharks that swim in the sand. They swim, according to marine biologist Brooke Hogan, by movement of their scales pushing the sand along.

If you can get your head round that initial premise then this is a terrifically fun film. It's pretty much a Jaws rip off. Some scenes (Finger nails down a chalk board) are unashamedly stolen outright during the first hour, and it greatly adds to this films charm.

As does the brilliant cast and wonderful characters. As well as Hogan, who is the most convincing hot scientist type since Denise Richards in The World is Not Enough (1999), there's a wildly loud turn from Corin Nemec as the mayor's son returned home to hold the best beach rave on the whole coast at any cost, sand sharks be damned.

Sand Sharks is one of those movies you know is bad but can't help enjoy (At least i can't). The shark effects are shit, and the beach party decidedly small scale, so much so that the revelers seem to be social distancing a whole nine years before Covid, but it's such a blast and i love it.
Old 2nd June 2021, 07:00 PM
Cult Addict

Watched Zach Snyders Army of the Dead on Netflix this afternoon and I have to say contrary to all the stick it's been getting I rather enjoyed it. My biggest complaint would be the scenes shot in the dark making it impossible to work out what's going on.

Last edited by J Harker; 2nd June 2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Strike Commando (1986, Arizal)

This I wants to see in 4K now

When Chris Mitchum's son's birthday bash goes ... off kilter, his reaction is mainly the reason that this is now my film of this year and I'm not budging.
See it and disagree, I dare you all

Ahem. Twas rather entertaining and now about to peruse Lethal Hunter from the same director, it already looks like a winner ... a new director! .... sighs .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 3rd June 2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Caught up (on iplayer) with Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and Legendary Tapes broadcast in the BBC Arena strand.

It's a very arty, but fascinating, look at the life and work of DD, most famous, as everyone will know on here, for realising Ron Grainer's Dr. Who theme.

It takes 10 minutes or so to properly hit its stride but turns out to be quite an engaging mix of potted history, talking heads and dramatisations, set to snippets of DD's experimental music.

It's more interested in DD the person and her obsession with the link between mathematics and music than her contribution to sci-fi history but die-hard DW fans would probably want to give it a look.

I thought I'd get to the DW bit and then turn off but ended up watching it all the way through.

Directed by Caroline Catz of Doc Martin fame who also plays DD in the drama sections.

PS love that Arena theme, gives me pangs of nostalgia every time I hear it.
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lethal Hunter (1980, Arizal)

I'm sold.
A new find. Happy Demon.
Chris Mitchum's finest work.
There's a due care to some of the shots that shows an underlying knack for cinema. The thing we love, Yeah?

All I wanted tonight was a weeee drinky and find some bandergab on YT, and I stumbles onto this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

Even at two hours eighteen minutes there's no time to pause for breath as this film is a relentless roller coaster ride of crazy stunts and exciting action that takes us from Budapest and Moscow to Dubai and on to Mumbai.

Blowing up the Kremlin, scaling the outside of the Burj Khalifa and fighting to the death in an automated car park - There's nothing that's too impossible for Tom Cruise, Paula Patton, Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg.

Terrific stuff from first to last.
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When you see the stuff Tom Cruise does in these later Mission Impossible films, in his fifties, it makes me want to sign up for this Scientology* lark.

*If any of it involves watching Battlefield Earth again i'll probably give it a miss.
Old 3rd June 2021, 03:11 PM
Active Cultist

Taste the Blood of Dracula 1970
I recently picked up the Warner DVD of this and watched it earlier. The film has a good cast of despicable characters played by Ralph Bates, Peter Sallis, Roy Kinnear and most memorably Geoffrey Keen.
Three rich perverts get bored of their monthly charity weekends which basically consists of visiting brothels and take up Lord Courtneys offer of attending a black mass. What follows leads to Dracula being reincarnated into Courneys body after he drinks wine mixed with dried Dracula blood.
This is one of the better Hammer films and much better than the further sequals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 914hWqvM1vL._RI_.jpg (98.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd June 2021, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed.

Double Crosser (1991, Arizal)

This time featuring super mullet Peter O'Brian. The usual sheningans take place, slightly saner in tone but not much. Tonight ....

Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters

[B]
Old 3rd June 2021, 05:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

ecdaf470-92c3-413b-9252-ab4500c660dc.jpg
KING KONG (1976) 3hr 15 min TV Version.

This is great. An hour of extra scenes added including more Kong!
As this was a TV version, as expected a few of the scenes have been trimmed. When Kong pushes down Jessica Lang's dress and the bloody bullet hits on Kong at the end.
So awesome to see movies like this. Maybe Shout Factory can release THE DEEP in It's 3 hr cut.
Awesome!

Like this? Share it using the links below!