Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2021, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched these following The Last Drive in episodes.

Wolfcop
A girl walks home in the dark
Street trash
Hello Mary Lou. Prom night 2
Hellraiser 2

Hellraiser 2 was the best movie and the most interesting episode with both Doug Bradely and Ashley Laurence guest starring , with both giving interesting and insightful storys, the story about Clive Barker locking Barry Norman in room brought a smile too my face, Joe Bob came off as thick as pig shit at times being confused with the story.

A shy young high school girl goes to Yugoslavia with her class mates , little does she know that she too be the bride of Satan whom wants to make the beast with two backs with her. Her classmates all soon begin to die in very gruesome and gory measures , with melting maggot faces, beheadings and impalings. Most of the film takes place on a runaway train , which in someways reminded me of horror express. A lot more enjoyable that I thought it would be.

Next up after I finish watching Buffy pilot.

Old 13th June 2021, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
That's one of the films that we had at the cinema when I was working there!

The target audience [pre-teens] loved it, and every time Michael Jackson appeared on the screen they would scream their little heads off. For the adults in the audience, however, it didn't really have the same effect, and when the screening had finished, numerous people were queuing at the box office, trying to get their money back, and more than one came up to me and said: "what time does the actual film start?"
That is really interesting, granted the excellent cover does have the tag line, a movie like no other but I'm guessing it's missing the point.

All it needed was a basic plot, it didn't need to have the greatest script or acting in the world, just Michael acting and singing. IT WAS A LICENCE TO PRINT MONEY.

If I remember correctly it was released in Cinemas at Christmas 88 and there was no Internet and the only reviews would in Papers/Magazines/TV and Radio so I'm wondering if it had a strong opening attendance but had a sudden drop within a couple of weeks?

If I was working in a Cinema at that time, I would have been imaging this to be one of the big hitters and a nightmare to deal with.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 13th June 2021, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Full Monty

British film making it it’s Best,

A film that no matter what is highly enjoyable,
A lot of what goes on in the film can relate to in real life,
British humour at its best it doesn’t take itself too serious, nor does it go out it’s way to even try to be funny, like when they’re all stood there in the Q and all slowly start dancing, it’s basic it’s simple and down to earth, it might not be belly laugh out loud humour but it’s a film that’s certainly keeps you smiling and entertained all the way through.

It was nominated for Best Picture
Best Director
Best Screenplay
Golden Globe Best Picture nomination

And know what it understandable why.
Old 14th June 2021, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
If I remember correctly it was released in Cinemas at Christmas 88 and there was no Internet and the only reviews would in Papers/Magazines/TV and Radio so I'm wondering if it had a strong opening attendance but had a sudden drop within a couple of weeks?
To be honest, I don't remember a lot of things like that. I *think* it was a holiday period when we had the film, and that it was a daily matinee performance showing

Unlike the cinemas of today, the one I worked in was only a single screen theatre. It was also the only cinema in Gosport so (unless it was a big movie event like a Bond or Speilberg film, or a Disney release) we tended to get a new film on a weekly basis

Occasionally, if a film that was booked for a single week did well, we would extend its run for a second week, and sometimes a film would return later in the year / the following year

With 'Moonwalker' I do remember that a few weeks / months after it had gone we started to advertise a future presentation, which was the Cher / Nicolas Cage film 'Moonstruck', and a lot of members of the public (and some staff) mistook it for the Michael Jackson film, and started complaining most vocally!
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th June 2021, 03:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

C.H.U.D. (1984)

Crap. Horror. Unless. Drunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHUD_poster.jpg (57.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th June 2021, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
C.H.U.D. (1984)

Crap. Horror. Unless. Drunk.
I know it's crap but I've always enjoyed it.

Another horny devil story, this time Gabriel Bryan is the devil who possesses a wall street banker whom is looking for his bride a 20 year woman brought up by Satanist for the day of bonking which needs to take place in the last hour of the 20th century so the devil can rule the universe , only one man can stop the devil and that falls to the Austrian Oak hmself. Always enjoyed this the pace never lets up from the start. A great OTT performance from Bryan as the devil.

Instead of watching an episode from season two of the last drive in , have decided to watch the latest episode , which is evil speak which I was going to watch again soon anyhow so thought why not.

Anyone seen this?
Old 14th June 2021, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Am Here Now (2009, Neil Breen)

Now I get it. He's the new Jean Luc Godard.
Neil lands/arrives/appears. He spies nothing but turmoil and greed.
He sets out to teach us the error of our ways ..... does he succeed??

This being the third of his films that I've now watched, I can honestly say I've seen nothing like it outside of JLG's more Marxist efforts tbh ... the flimsy nay gossamer plot to hang polemic like bunting from etc .... ahem.
Gawp at the most strained nudity I've seen yet ( compared to Franco, this was ... tittersome ahem).
Keel over with narcolepsy at another shot of the desert landscape fills up the running time
The other two had sliiightly more coherence. This is freeform, like jazz baby.
I digress. It did drag a wee bit, like all his stuff I've found, but as a Manos fan I cannot complain too vociferously.
Here's some jazz to make up for it ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IAHN.jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th June 2021, 12:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Zero Boys (1986)

Nico Mastorakis' action horror film is a strange beast for me. Starting off kinda' goofy in that daft 80's way with a paintball contest it sleeps it's way into a weird Metamorphosis and ends up a survival horror by way of Friday the 13th Part 2. It doesn't help it's case that lead actor Daniel Hirsch has an uncanny resemblance to Friday Part 2's John Furey or that the second half of the film takes place in and a round a cabin in the woods.

Rather than a masked maniac the characters here face off against fairly typical hillbilly types in a film that struggles with it's identity. Having said that, this was the second time i've watched The Zero Boys this year and it does possess that 80's aesthetic / charm that so many of the slasher films of the era had even though it doesn't quite live up to it.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tango and Cash. 1989.

Two LAPD detectives are framed and sent to prison, they manage to escape and hunt the guys who put them there.

Another mash up cop duo this time it's Sly Stallone and Kurt Russell who seem to parody other film characters at the start and finish with a mention of Rambo and Stallone calling him a pussy. Brion James plays the tough talking English accent henchman, at times it is like he is trying to do the accent and seems to come out a bit Australian. Teri Hatcher plays the eyes candy sister of Tango who seems to know how to dance. Jack Palance is able to steal the show as the drug dealer who seems to enjoy the finale. There is plenty of action and comedy mixed in and Michael J.Pollard provides the nice weaponary.

MV5BZjQ4YThiZGYtOWY1MC00ZDE0LTgyNmItNTc0Y2U4N2I1YzEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR85.jpg
Old 15th June 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

12 Monkeys (1995)

A film i've tried to like and get into over the years but unfortunately don't. I saw it at the cinema - mates raved about it who also were there - bought it on vhs, bought it on dvd, ditched the dvd, then bought it again about 18 months ago on dvd in a set with Flatliners (A film i haven't seen since i rented it on video back in the day).

So having given it yet another chance yesterday i have come to the conclusion that although i think i should like it and want to like it i quite simply don't like it. Terry Gilliam's work has that effect on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twelve_monkeysmp.jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!