Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2021, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Expendables. 2010.

A mercenary group are hired by the C.I.A to take down a dictator and a rogue C.I.A operative in a small part of South America.

Who said that these guys were past their prime in action movies? These guys can still run, fight and kick someone's ass, stuck this on and Angie practically begged me to switch it off as it is definitely a guy's movie. Sly, Dolph, Jet, Terry, Randy and Jason still have good form when it comes to action movies, Eric Roberts plays the rogue C.I.A agent with Steve Austin as the tough bodyguard. Good fight scenes, explotions and rapid gun fire with a small cameo by Arnie and Bruce, kept me quiet for a bit.

the-expendables-poster.jpg
Old 16th June 2021, 06:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Expendables. 2010.

A mercenary group are hired by the C.I.A to take down a dictator and a rogue C.I.A operative in a small part of South America.

Who said that these guys were past their prime in action movies? These guys can still run, fight and kick someone's ass, stuck this on and Angie practically begged me to switch it off as it is definitely a guy's movie. Sly, Dolph, Jet, Terry, Randy and Jason still have good form when it comes to action movies, Eric Roberts plays the rogue C.I.A agent with Steve Austin as the tough bodyguard. Good fight scenes, explotions and rapid gun fire with a small cameo by Arnie and Bruce, kept me quiet for a bit.

Attachment 234040
For me the second film is an action classic of the 21st century.
Old 16th June 2021, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Expendables 2. 2012.

The Mercenary team are hired for a job that should be quick and easy, except it goes wrong and a member of their team is killed, and seek revenge.

The Mercs are back this time teaming up with Billy the kid Liam Hensworth and Nan Yu, to find a down plane that has a code and bring it home, waiting for them is Vilain Jean Claude Van Damme who makes a decent antagonist and still able to put on a good fight with Sly, just a shame it was short. It was good to watch two British guys Jason and Scott Adkins put on a decent fight. More gun fire, action and more explosions to keep a guy happy with good role by Chuck Norris, Arnie and Bruce teaming up together for a shootout.

p9000544_p_v10_aa.jpg
Old 16th June 2021, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like Dem says, it's a keeper is that one. Less flamin' poetry and all ... only thing that marred the first was that ponderous "soul searching" sequence, when they should have been kicking folk and the like

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th June 2021, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
To be honest, I don't remember a lot of things like that. I *think* it was a holiday period when we had the film, and that it was a daily matinee performance showing

Unlike the cinemas of today, the one I worked in was only a single screen theatre. It was also the only cinema in Gosport so (unless it was a big movie event like a Bond or Speilberg film, or a Disney release) we tended to get a new film on a weekly basis

Occasionally, if a film that was booked for a single week did well, we would extend its run for a second week, and sometimes a film would return later in the year / the following year

With 'Moonwalker' I do remember that a few weeks / months after it had gone we started to advertise a future presentation, which was the Cher / Nicolas Cage film 'Moonstruck', and a lot of members of the public (and some staff) mistook it for the Michael Jackson film, and started complaining most vocally!
Thanks for the information, always find it fascinating when people talk about working in Cinemas in the 80's and 90's.

I kept on calling 8 Mile, Green Mile
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 16th June 2021, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Labyrith. 1986.

16 year old Sarah is babysitting her little brother Toby, she wishes him to be taken by the goblin king. Can she rescue Toby and solve the Labyrinth before time runs out.

This film was amazing back in the day of childhood, even remember seeing it on BBC 2 when I was in Primary 6 on a Tuesday Night, forward to today, this film is still awesome and still made me laugh. David Bowie (R.I.P) plays the goblin king Jareth was excellent to watch him act in a somewhat dark fantasy role. Jennifer Connelly is captivating in this as the lead actress Sarah sent on a journey of puzzle solving and meeting new friends along the way. Sometimes watching it you seem to forget it is a Jim Henson movie and there is puppets involved and great stunning effects that are not CGI.

Attachment 234031
I remember it being on The BBC back in the day when it was really special when a major Film is shown on TV. I believe it was on one Christmas and I taped it on my only VHS tape and watching it constantly.
Old 16th June 2021, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched these last drive in episodes .

Deep Red
Maniac
Evil Speak

Evil Speak was my favourite I just love the film and always can't wait for Cooper Smith to get his demonic / pigs / broad sword head lobbing revenge on all those ass holes.

Clint Howard was interviewed and was insightful , charming and funny , along with hellriaser 2 this was probably the best episode I've watched. Which cant be said with the one I watched afterwards , Troma's war which I turned off after about 15 minutes because of truly awful and shit acting and direction, I really should of learned by lesson with Troma movies they just super shit.

With finishing season five of the X-Files, watched the first movie.
Old 16th June 2021, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Mission

Jeremy Irons is a Priest who is trying to stop Natives from being enslaved. Robert De Niro is a former Slave Trader who is trying to serve a penance. Granted I was tired and believe I dosed off for a bit but I enjoyed what I saw.

This also contains what the BBFC call natural nudity but unfortunately if its referring to what I thought I saw, then there is absolutely no excuse and every trace removed.

Four Weddings And A Funeral

Hugh Grant attends a the titular ceremonies but falls for American Andie McDowall. I swear the opening lines used up most of allotted swear words before it turned into an 18 rated Film. Back in 1994, this Film was a phenomenon, everybody seemed to be talking about it and it was everywhere especially that Wet Wet Wet song, I believe it was that feel good Movie which was the surprise hit (Nothing wrong with that) and whilst I wasn't bored with it, I felt that it didn't live up to the hype of 94-95.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

The original trio is back and this time they are trying to prevent a Terrorist Attack in Europe. If you liked the 1st one then you'd probably enjoy this one. There are a couple of decent gags in this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m.jpg (14.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg fwaaf.jpg (13.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg hwb.jpg (13.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th June 2021, 08:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
For me the second film is an action classic of the 21st century.
I suspect I need to give the second a rewatch as I found it the weakest of the three by far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2021, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Expendables 3. 2014.

A arms trader becomes a target for the C.I.A. Barney tasks a new force to take him down, when things go wrong, Barney enlists his old team and tries again at full force with his old and new team mates.

Why did this feel like I was watching a typical Sly Stallone film, go out with a old friend facing a enemy, get your ass kicked then re-group and try again when at full strength. I feel disappointed by this instalment, last battle was worth watching, Harrison Ford and Kelsey Grammer make a good small appearance, only thing that made it watchable was a hyper Antonio Banderas , how much coffee did he drink or was he just on red bull/monster drink.

Mel Gibson plays the antagonist in this one and even that felt like a minor role for him Jet Li returns and really don't see him busting a move and Wesley Snipes shows some skills but probably told not to outshine Sly or make him feel he can't fight like him.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!