Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2021, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Vanishing (2018)

Thriller based on the 1900 disappearance of three lighthouse keepers in the Outer Hebrides, the Flannan Isles to be exact, off the west coast of Scotland.

Starring Gerard Butler, Peter Mullan and the unknown to me Connor Swindells, this was a nicely gripping tale involving gold, murder and an endlessly thickening atmosphere of psychological horror.

It's really well acted (Yes, even from Butler who's mind slowly unravels throughout) with strong violence penetrating the escalating tension in shocking style. Atmospheric from the off - lighthouses are great locations for horror and thriller movies - i'm surprised it took me so long to give this uneasy thriller a second watch.

Recommended to those like me who fell asleep watching Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.
Old 17th June 2021, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I don’t get why ppl complain this film isn’t entertaining, it’s a true story of people being killed it isn’t meant to be fun or happy, Also complaining it’s grim and disturbing if you want something more upbeat then don’t watch a horror or a true story, or watch it Hollywood style after all they make films all cheer-full and happy even it’s not meant to be, if going to potray a true story you want one that pulls you in and disturbed you as well, the style and tone of this film does exactly that, doesn’t rely on gore and has little violence etc, relies on the tone of the film being grim and bleak, occasionally hints of what’s going on and using your own imagination for the rest can sometimes work even better than what you see.
What the heck are you on about gag??
Old 18th June 2021, 05:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
What the heck are you on about gag??
Lol

Sorry just realised I didn’t put title of the film I’ve watched oops.

Just watched snowtown.

I’ll alter it .
Old 18th June 2021, 09:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Heat is on

Maybe it's the heat,but I enjoyed all of these,yes even The Hand....Demon Wind tried my patience,but dehydration and an out of body experience helped......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51aEAn+rTsL._AC_SY445_.jpg (31.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg medium-cover.jpg (53.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 51m7i5t0WdL._AC_SY780_.jpg (25.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 51PXVdfgOoL._AC_SY780_.jpg (30.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 61Hs6Y4d6FL._AC_SY580_.jpg (59.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 41DaljdksiL._AC_SY445_.jpg (18.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 19th June 2021, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young woman investigates the disappearance of her friend whom is believed to of been killed by Bigfoot , she tricks her way into giving a ride to the last person to see her friend.

As the film goes on we soon learn that the woman whom last saw her friend appears to be far more dangerous than Bigfoot. A little slow and not really a Bigfoot movie I the usual sense. We have more lesbian love scenes than anything else.

Excellent, a deranged film director is making a film about zombies, when actual zombies start attacking but the director wants to keep shooting no matter what or does he?

As a lot of reviews say keep watching after 37 minutes , when you watch to will understand why. Well worth a watch.

Easily one of the best of not the best werewolf films since American werewolf . It's the story of two outsider sisters , in which one of the sisters is biting by a werewolf and becomes a sexed up vamp who begins to grow her and a tail and a taste for blood, her sister sets out too try and save her. Excellent.

Now watching.
Old 19th June 2021, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Guardian (1990)

I really like this William Friedkin directed mixture of scary babysitters crossed with folklore.

Jenny Seagrove is excellent as the mysterious nanny who turns up slightly out of the blue to become nanny to Carey Lowell and Dwight Brown's child. So far so scary nanny type film. However it's when Seagrove is observed going deep into the nearby woods that things take a sharp turn for the weirdly folkloric.

The Guardian perhaps isn't a widely seen horror film in comparison to others from the period so won't go any further into the plot other than to say it involves sacrificial rites to trees, wood nymphs and some pretty fun gore.

There's a good interview with Jenny Seagrove on the Second Sight dvd in which she says the film is daft but remains great fun all these years later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guardian1990.jpg (9.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th June 2021, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Guardian (1990)

I really like this William Friedkin directed mixture of scary babysitters crossed with folklore.

Jenny Seagrove is excellent as the mysterious nanny who turns up slightly out of the blue to become nanny to Carey Lowell and Dwight Brown's child. So far so scary nanny type film. However it's when Seagrove is observed going deep into the nearby woods that things take a sharp turn for the weirdly folkloric.

The Guardian perhaps isn't a widely seen horror film in comparison to others from the period so won't go any further into the plot other than to say it involves sacrificial rites to trees, wood nymphs and some pretty fun gore.

There's a good interview with Jenny Seagrove on the Second Sight dvd in which she says the film is daft but remains great fun all these years later.
This one I enjoyed viewing and seems very underrated.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th June 2021, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable mixture of comedy, horror and office backstabbing/ politics. A young man working at a corporate law firm who has just been fired is infected as is the rest of the building which make you lose your inhibitions and self control and become murderous and sex crazed , he teams up with a young woman that has been screwed by the same company and they site out to confront the board of directors which are on the top floor maming and kill and trying to stay alive as the try making there way to the top floor.

Now watching

Old 20th June 2021, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran

I saw Mayhem a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, is it still streaming on Shudder?
trebor8273 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th June 2021, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I saw Mayhem a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, is it still streaming on Shudder?
It is, I did watch it on the last drive in, but the film it's self will still be there as if they lost the rights the episode would be removed as well.

The super deep is also on Shudder was just added a few days ago, small amount I've seen enjoying it influenced by the thing by the look of it.
Justin101 likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th June 2021 at 08:34 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!