Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2021, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Rock. When Alcatraz is occupied by renegade soldiers armed with rockets filled with lethal poison, chemical weapons expert Nicolas Cage finds himself roped into going into the field for the first time - along with the only man to ever escape the prison: Sean Connery. I haven't seen this mid 90s action flick in roundabout 20 years but it remains a kick-ass load of fun.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fast & Furious 8

Vin Diesel is blackmailed by Hacker, Charlize Theron into betraying his team. Jason Statham is then drafted to help stop him. Again when you forget all sense of realism, it is an entertaining film. The scene with the zombie cars is amazing but I feel that the films are too long though.

In The Heights

Musical based on the lives of a Puerto Rican neighborhood in New York. This was billed as the feel good movie of the year but I found it really dull, the songs weren't catchy as they felt like they were singing the script. TBH, it's completely forgettable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faf8.jpg (7.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ith.jpg (9.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by nicholasrope; 21st June 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 22nd June 2021, 05:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Inglorious Basterds

I really liked this and its one that seems to be forgotten in Quentin's filmography. Most people have seen the film by now with it being 12 years old. Yet, there is 1 scene that annoyed me and that was:

When Michael Fassbender goes into the pub and starts throwing his weight around by threatening them, then he wonders why they are all eyes on him.
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Breakdance The Movie

A couple of Street Dancers team up with a female Dancer has they battle a rival group and recognition from traditional Dance companies. This was one of Cannon's big success stories and TBH, I can see why, it tapped into a market and it gave the viewers what they wanted, which was plenty of Dance scenes. They were subtle references to sexual harassment and racism but nothing overpowering. Christopher McDonald (Happy Gilmore) co-stars along with Ice-T And I'm sure that I saw Jean Claude-Van Damme as an extra.

War With Grandpa

Robert De Niro moves in with his Daughter (Uma Thurman) therefore takes over his Grandson's Bedroom, which leads to a prank war between the two which involves their respective friends which includes Christopher Walken. This is a Film if it was shown at Cinemas would probably have been released during a School Holiday and have a couple of showings in the morning. Circumstances I'm guessing now led it to be a straight to DVD release and whilst it's silly and unrealistic, it's actually not all that bad, there's certainly a lot worse out there.

Ghost Warrior

Otherwise known as Sword Kill, this is the story of a Samurai who is killed but somehow is found by an American Research Lab and his brought back to life where he struggles to adapt to modern life and is hunted by The Lab and Police. He is helped by a Woman who was at the research facility. This could have been a Comedy but they made it to be a serious movie and whilst I did doze off (Not because of this film) I did enjoy what I saw therefore, I will go back to this soon.

Stone Cold

Brian Bosworth is a suspended Policeman who goes undercover to infiltrate a criminal biker gang lead by Lance Henrikson. An early 90's Actioner which was a target rental when it came out and it was a very decent watch again, it was short (92 minutes) didn't go on any unnecessary detours and had plenty of Action, which is what I want from this type of film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg btm.jpg (15.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wwg.jpg (13.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gw.jpg (14.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (14.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

King Of New York. 1990.

Frank White a convicted drug lord is released from prison with one goal, to control the drug dealing and take back the streets from rival gangs to build up his empire again, a group of New York detectives stand in his way and to take him down again.

Director Abel Ferrara who can be unpredictable and never know how his films will end is able to create a character and Christopher Walken is able to bring the character to the screen as the drug lord Frank. From start to finish this is non stop utter violence which makes the film outstanding. There is a good car chase between the drug lord and police but can never match up to The French Connection even though there is a great shootout. David Caruso, Wesley Snipes and Laurence Fishburne play decent parts and Fishburne may be overacting with his death scene that kinda made me laugh a bit. This is still a great film to watch and never be bored of it.

16674.jpg
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Psychic (1977)

Rewatching the Severin dvd in possible anticipation of the forthcoming Shameless release of this minor Fulci film it became obvious why i remembered so little about it.

There's not an awful lot to remember. It's from what i've seen Lucio Fulci's most talky movie with little in the way of action or indeed typical Fulci set pieces of any kind.

Borrowing as much from Poe's The Black Cat, a theme he obviously liked as he'd return to it for his own loose adaptation in 1981, the story is intricately plotted but much of what came in between a gloriously graphic Fulci opening and the well thought out finale is fairly forgetful stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (9.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran

The Child (1977)

An interesting and peculiar low budget American indie. This has some of the strangest acting I've seen for a while; and I'm here for it! There is an entire scene near the beginning, with two ladies sharing some tea and talking to each other as if there were two separate conversations happening.

Everyone is talking about 'don't go out when it's dark' either because the tramps live near the cemetery or because wild animals live in the woods, but it turns out that an unhinged pre-teen is feeding pets to her psychic zombies because she misses her dead mum.

That's pretty much all of the plot points, I enjoyed this though.

Also, was *almost* a video nasty, it was on the section 3 list which was "we probably can't get away with prosecuting this one". Some good gory special effects though!!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd June 2021, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Child is the only one of that set i own (Or have seen) and i quite like it. It's got that weird vibe that could never be replicated nowadays probably due to a lack of budget regional film making sort of thing.

Hopefully Arrow release it either standalone or, if you rate all the films in the box, stick it in their next sale.
DaveH and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Body Snatcher', via Shout Factory bluray.
Loved this, Karloff is so good in it. Looks and sounds great - the scene where the 'singing girl' walks down the alley, into the rain, while Karloff's horse/buggy comes up behind her, is fantastic. And of course, Karloff's shadow on the wall, when he enters the room with his grave digging gear over his shoulder...great stuff.
The dog scene genuinely shocked me and there's a classic Lewton jump scare that also got me!
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Child is the only one of that set i own (Or have seen) and i quite like it. It's got that weird vibe that could never be replicated nowadays probably due to a lack of budget regional film making sort of thing.

Hopefully Arrow release it either standalone or, if you rate all the films in the box, stick it in their next sale.
I do wonder why Arrow didn't put them out by themselves before they out out the budget version of the set, they did on set one and I bought them all individually.

I just finished watching the Stephen Thrower interview, he absolutely loves this film for all of the same reasons I liked it, the miss-matched performances, the soundtrack being just weird, half romantic pianos and half nightmarish synths and the over all weird and strange tone of the film. He goes on to say that when writing his Nightmare USA book, it hinged entirely on whether he could track down the makers of The Child so that he could do a feature on it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!