Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2021, 06:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I remember seeing Titanic and when we was talking about it the lads looked at me strangely, what I said you’ve seen it as well, one said hang on you went to see Titanic ? yes, he replied so you do like other films besides horror then I didn’t think it would be your type with being a love story.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th June 2021, 06:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I remember seeing Titanic and when we was talking about it the lads looked at me strangely, what I said you’ve seen it as well, one said hang on you went to see Titanic ? yes, he replied so you do like other films besides horror then I didn’t think it would be your type with being a love story.
I think its one of those films that you know what happens but you have to watch it and find out how it happened.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th June 2021, 09:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DR BUTCHER MD – Having seen ZH many, many times, and remembering Chas Balun’s seemingly rabid enthusiasm from ‘back in the day’, I was pleased to finally make an appointment with Dr B (MD). Can’t really speak for the bedside manner, but I was quite satisfied to find that my prescription included a load of wild gore and crunky electronic music. Said ‘wild gore’ isn’t any different to that which features in ZH, and the same goes for most of the rest of the film beyond aforementioned atonal soundtrack and a bit of Roy Frumkes. But any excuse to revisit this one in either of its guises really, it’s just one of those ‘over-the-top trash classics’ that fully justifies such a dubious accolade.

WILLY’S WONDERLAND – N Cage is on slightly subdued form as a mute drifter who, for the sake of moving the plot forward, agrees to renovate an abandoned fairground with an evil past… overnight, alone etc etc. He needn’t worry, because when the possessed animatronic puppets come out to play, a bunch of intrepid kids are at hand to serve as fodder while Nick tries to work out what the feck’s going on. I used the word ‘subdued’ in my opening sentence there, but if Nick doesn’t say a right lot, the rest of the movie is pretty loud. Homicidal toy variants are ten a penny and an easy fumble – witness ‘Banana Splits, The Movie’, one I had high hopes for that turned out a little lacklustre – but ‘Willy’s Wonderland’ acquits itself with lots of gore, a dreamy disjointedness, and a defiant garishness which is silly but still manages to seem quite macabre. I liked it.

THE GARDEN OF TORMENT – I was taken unawares by ‘The Garden Of Torment’, a film unknown to me before the recent release from Nucleus. Set in twenties China, it charts an exiled GP’s dawning realisation that the bright young things he’s hanging with are Sadean degenerates who love nothing more than to torture the prole. TGOT has the languid feel of classy seventies Euro erotica, but resounds with a gathering menace as portentous as a slowly tolling bell (you’ll understand the reference if you watch the movie). The last half hour in the torture garden is actually pretty harsh by seventies standards, with amputations and eviscerations framing the bombastic posturing of the libertines. Some interesting stuff also about politics and violence, it being made around the time when a lot of sixties optimism had declined into seventies bombings. Good on Nucleus for putting it out is what I say.

CUTTING CLASS – I don’t drink all that much these days, but I’ve been trying to figure out whether the weirdness I saw in ‘Cutting Class’ was just a product of my acute hangover. Ostensibly a slasher, for the most part it plays more like a high school melodrama, in which a student returns after offing his dad… cue the next wave of (slightly tepid) killings etc etc. There’s a shakiness to it all, it’s full of weird little scenes and throwaway images that don’t resolve and don’t make sense, so you can forgive the clunky pace and the occasional sense of aimlessness, not to mention the lamest ‘reveal’ in slasherdom. I’m sure ‘Cutting Class’ was never very prominent on Brad Pitt’s resume, but somehow I’d rather watch a film with such weird contrivances as the duck hunt-based murder set piece and Roddy McDowell’s sock fetish than ’12 Monkeys’ (and you might be with me on that one, Dem!)

As always Mr T ....
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th June 2021, 04:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Titanic at the cinema and remember finding most of the film boring or laughable apart from the bit where the back of the boat rises and I physically felt like the cinema was moving and the screen was vertically below me.

Apart from some of the cheesy acting and dialogue, there is some masterful filmmaking. I own it on Blu-ray and have watched it couple of times at home and there are always some elements I admire, though plenty of others I don't!
Old 28th June 2021, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw Titanic at the cinema and remember finding most of the film boring or laughable apart from the bit where the back of the boat rises and I physically felt like the cinema was moving and the screen was vertically below me.

Apart from some of the cheesy acting and dialogue, there is some masterful filmmaking. I own it on Blu-ray and have watched it couple of times at home and there are always some elements I admire, though plenty of others I don't!
Have too agree with this, it's was beautiful shot and directed with some amazing set pieces and sets, but some of the acting and dialogue was pretty cheesy and cringeworthy.
Old 28th June 2021, 05:19 PM
Active Cultist

Mad Max, Mad Max 2, Mad Max 3.
Watched the original trilogy over the last couple of days. Mad Max 2 is my favourite due in large part to the insane chase in the last act. Films like these will never see the light of day again due to the dangerous stunts involved and that makes them all the more refreshing compared to the video game type films we have these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91ZaNnJP2uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (99.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 91qplWiUsQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (100.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg A17a7dJBGmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (99.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th June 2021, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rumble In The Bronx. 1995.

Keung travels from Hong Kong to New York to visit his uncle for his wedding and gets involved with a street gang and mobsters.

One of Jackie Chan's decent movies to come out in the early/middle 90s, here he is a HK police officer in the roughest part of New York and does get his ass kicked aswell as dishing out the ass kicking. The fight scenes are always well choreographed and stunt scenes that look amazing until you see the outtakes, even Chan filmed most of it with a broken ankle. He does throw out the term "get hurt...walk it off "a lot.

496b6b2fcc190146e86c7de9800b57f92aa25f47.jpg
Old 29th June 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The willies,

Entertaining cheese-fest from the 90s,
One of those films is pretty bad to extent it’s enjoyable,
Starring Sean Astin, several very quick short stories before the film starts, then 2 stories, I like how they make a reference about the goonies, their telling each other stories and he says I’ll tell a true story, other kid replies yes sure like the time you went on an adventure for hidden treasures.
Old 29th June 2021, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Backdraft. 1991.

Two brothers who work in the Chicago Fire Department who don't get along try to put their differences aside when a serial arsonist is at work, that leads the younger brother to join the fire investigation unit.

Ron Howard was able to show how great a director he is when he gave the audience this spectacular movie that still holds up to this day. Kurt Russell plays the heroic older fire fighter brother Stephen who seems to have a appreciation for his job in tackling the unpredictable enemy.

William Baldwin is not a actor i'm fond of and kinda hated him, as at the start he seems to have a smirk on his face a lot then dives in to the role and becomes more of a serious role for him, especially working next to fire investigator Robert DeNiro who teaches him on how a fire can work.

The special effects team done a amazing job in creating the fires and hats off to the cinematographer who was protected and ran through it all filming the fire sequences. The 4K UHD pack I bought was worth it for the sound of the fire as it makes it's mark in the film.

698cfaa7-3fb3-4117-b5bb-118b7812449e-db1bbf7b-d564-4509-a04c-e2cbe723df9f_RGB_SD._SX320_SY240_.jpg
Old 30th June 2021, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Basic Instinct. 1992.

A tough San Francisco police detective investigates former rock star who is found dead and clues lead to a thriller writer who plays a game of cat and mouse.

This film is famous for two things, catapulting Sharon Stone career and for the opening and closing of her legs during a interrogation with Wayne Knight just about drooling, good thing he had his glasses on to keep his eyes from popping out further. Michael Douglas plays the tough nosed detective who ends up falling for the crime writer Catherine Tramell who can be very seductive and a bloody tease.

Sharon Stone does play a good part as the writer, who seems to test the the will power of men and able to get anyone she wants, male or female, and knows how to be a dominatrix femme fatale like the characters in her books and enjoys some Jack Daniels and Coke.

Jeanne Tripplehorn plays the psychologist Beth Garner brought in to observe the prime suspect in the murder and throws in clues about Catherine as Catherine hands him info on the psychologist. I haven't seen this since the late 90s and only noticed, when Nick and Beth are together, either it's the heat of the moment or they like to be observed,which gives a insight into the mind of a psychologist as across the other flats from them curtains are wide open.

Paul Verhoeven is no stranger to these type of films as seen in his previous films from his homeland and able to keep things tense in the cat and mouse game of is it Catherine or is it someone else, and able to do a good car chase scene, just a shame his film Showgirls didn't become a decent film like this one.
Why did this film get so much hate, even from the title surely people knew what the film's content would be or do some not appreciate a bit of decent thrillers thrown in their way?

Basic-Instinct-1992dvdplanetstorepk.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!