Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Waiting For Guffman

The town of Blaine wants to mark its anniversary, so hire a chap to stage a musical retelling of the town's history. Whilst this isn't a patch on Best In Show and the like, I found myself laughing LF regardless. Guest yet again just inhabits the character he creates. Only gripes being Parker Posey was too old to play that part ahem and the last act could have been better paced IMHO. For all this, one I will revisit.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd July 2021, 09:05 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Waiting For Guffman
I've found all the Christopher Guest semi-improvised mocumentaries - 'This Is Spinal Tap', 'Waiting For Guffman', 'Best In Show' and 'A Mighty Wind' - to be very enjoyable and highly recommended
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd July 2021, 01:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Den of Thieves (2018)

Gerard Butler stars as the head of an elite police crime squad (Think Vic Mackie and co in tv's The Shield) on the trail of a successful bank job gand who plan to hold up L.A.'s federal reserve.

A very gritty crime drama which is at times reminiscent of Michael Mann's nineties classic Heat. Although Den of Thieves isn't as good - We don't get De Niro and Pacino for a start although Butler who put on a lot of weight for his role is very good - it still remains a well made and highly enjoyable thriller with a terrific action sequence.

That action set piece takes place on what's known as the Alameda Corridor, a freeway running from Downtown L.A. to the port of Los Angeles, and is basically a huge shoot out in between the jammed up cars on the freeway. It's brilliantly filmed and visually stunning and yes, the best street shoot em' up since Mann's Heat.

For anyone who likes cityscapes there is some gorgeous aerial photography of Los Angeles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91MrWQiKhhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (101.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched this then ...

The World Of Liberace (1972, Tony Palmer)

Enter a different dimension. Essentially a puff piece, so we get guided tours around the tinkler's various abodes and even get some cooking tips.
And not one mention of semen or such like
Intercut with concert footage where that dazzling smile never slips ... which reminded me of of his turn as Chandell on the Batman series somehow
An oddity, if a slightly repetitive one ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd July 2021, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crash Of The Moons. 1954.

Cruising the galaxy Space ranger Rocky along with Vera and 10 year old Bobby protect the earth.

This wasn't to be released as a feature film but three episodes edited to make it into a film based on the T.V. series Rocky Jones Space Ranger. I have never seen this show in a long time but remembered it being a bit outdated and when it becomes a bit serious always had a giggle as it did seem daft and cheesy, this is like a Science-fiction western in space that does actually work, I don't know if it was ahead of it's time but certainly enjoyable to pass the time.

MV5BNjkzNTk2MzIwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzczNDg5._V1_.jpg
Old 2nd July 2021, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Door Into Silence. 1992.

Melvin attends his father's funeral and meets a strange woman, he intends to drive home and gets caught up in a supernatural whim involving a hearse and a lorry.

This was different from Fulci's previous work, there is no blood splatter or guts getting ripped or cut out so if you want to see that watch his other films. It does focus on a lot of suspense and tension combined with a weird ending. John Savage plays Melvin who seems to hit a nerve with a hearse and a cat and mouse game starts. The does remind me of Duel but this is more horror than what Spielberg put in to his film,this was enjoyable. Was this Fulci's last film he made or was there another one after it before he passed away??

33360-door-into-silence-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
Old 2nd July 2021, 09:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just Before Dawn. Five youngsters head up to the mountains for a camping trip... stop me if you've heard this one before. It's all fun and games until the local inbred maniac comes out with a machete. This early 80s slasher horror is nicely atmospheric, but takes a while to get going, though I did like the midpoint twist (which actually made me gasp) and the heroine's rather...er... novel way of dispatching the killer at the end.
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Just Before Dawn. Five youngsters head up to the mountains for a camping trip... stop me if you've heard this one before. It's all fun and games until the local inbred maniac comes out with a machete. This early 80s slasher horror is nicely atmospheric, but takes a while to get going, though I did like the midpoint twist (which actually made me gasp) and the heroine's rather...er... novel way of dispatching the killer at the end.
One of those under rated gems, very well made, picturesque with a perfect sound track that helps gives it that little more Edge with the atmosphere, and also proves you don’t need to be controversial have tonnes of violence or gore, just keep it plain and simple if done right
trebor8273 and iank like this.
Old 3rd July 2021, 09:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Does anyone know if the T.V. series is any good or best just avoiding it?
I've seen the first two seasons and I've only just found out there was a third. I thought the pilot was okay but the first season got better as it went on.

I can't remember what I thought of the second season, but it must have been at least okay because I watched it all the way to the end!

If you have Netflix, I'd watch the first few episodes and see if it's something you want to continue to the end of the season or give up.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:36 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I've found all the Christopher Guest semi-improvised mocumentaries - 'This Is Spinal Tap', 'Waiting For Guffman', 'Best In Show' and 'A Mighty Wind' - to be very enjoyable and highly recommended
Have you seen the TV series 'Schitt's Creek'? While it's not a full-on Christopher Guest directed mocumentary it stars Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara in a semi scripted improv about a rich family whose accountant didn't pay the taxes properly, they had everything seized except for a small back-waters town that Eugene had 'bought' for his son as a joke, so they move there.

It's very funny.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!