Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2021, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You'd have to pay me to sit through 2001 again!
2001 ain't that bad, just the end part was confusing
Old 20th July 2021, 01:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
If, O lucky man, Britannia hospital isn't it?
Yes, that's Lindsay Anderson's Mick Travis trilogy and all three films are brilliant. I've seen them many times and thoroughly enjoy him.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th July 2021, 01:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600hhhh.jpg
THE EXTERMINATOR (1980)

Not seen this in quite a while , so good to give it a spin again.
Stan Winston's effects still look good. I remember my brother saw it on release and mentioned the decapitation sequence when he came back.
I remember being at the cinema and they had a standee of the Exterminator from the poster. Me and my mates were talking about going to try and sneak in and see it but it we never did.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Night of the Creeps. 30 years after an alien landing, an infested corpse held in cryogenic suspension is accidentally let loose and zombie-creating alien parasites are soon on the prowil. This mid 80s comedy-horror is something of a cult fave but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. It's okay, but feels a bit undercooked to me and certainly pales next to the likes of Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Comet IMO.
Old 21st July 2021, 07:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

A second viewing of the 88 Films Blu-Ray after i read the in depth cover story on it in The Dark Side a couple of issues back. I must admit i never noticed any of the 'mirror' shots or any of the other technical tricks director Barbara Peeters said were used in the climactic attack by the humanoids on the pier festival.

Humanoids from the Deep is one of the best horror films from the eighties even if it does rip off other films such as Alien at times. (What about Planet of the Vampires, Mr. O'Bannon). Doug McClure, Ann Turkel and Vic Morrow head a decent cast and the film has a terrific early score from the legendary film composer James Horner. Peeters directs the film assuredly and it goes at a gallop. The additional scenes of gore and sex that producer Roger Corman filmed give the movie an almost video nasty edge that spice things up nicely and for me help make this the exploitation classic that it is. Take them away and you have the unremarkable but entertaining tv movie which Corman produced in 1996.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Humanoids_from_the_deep.jpg (49.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st July 2021, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fatal Instinct (1993, Carl Reiner)

Armand Assante, Sean Young and Sherilyn Fenn take the wee out of Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct (and a few more ) in this amusing spoof. Hadn't seen this in years, I'm glad to report it still works
Ned Ravine has his hands full what with a full caseload and the odd femme fatale setting her sights on him. All in a days work for your average lawyer/policeman

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st July 2021, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Fatal Instinct (1993, Carl Reiner)

Armand Assante, Sean Young and Sherilyn Fenn take the wee out of Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct (and a few more ) in this amusing spoof. Hadn't seen this in years, I'm glad to report it still works
Ned Ravine has his hands full what with a full caseload and the odd femme fatale setting her sights on him. All in a days work for your average lawyer/policeman
Can you believe i saw this at the cinema on a date?
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 21st July 2021, 12:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Shaun of the Dead looked fecking amazing in 4k!

Btw do we have a dedicated 4k UHD thread?

If not,shall we start one?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2021, 12:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

A second viewing of the 88 Films Blu-Ray after i read the in depth cover story on it in The Dark Side a couple of issues back. I must admit i never noticed any of the 'mirror' shots or any of the other technical tricks director Barbara Peeters said were used in the climactic attack by the humanoids on the pier festival.

Humanoids from the Deep is one of the best horror films from the eighties even if it does rip off other films such as Alien at times. (What about Planet of the Vampires, Mr. O'Bannon). Doug McClure, Ann Turkel and Vic Morrow head a decent cast and the film has a terrific early score from the legendary film composer James Horner. Peeters directs the film assuredly and it goes at a gallop. The additional scenes of gore and sex that producer Roger Corman filmed give the movie an almost video nasty edge that spice things up nicely and for me help make this the exploitation classic that it is. Take them away and you have the unremarkable but entertaining tv movie which Corman produced in 1996.
Spot on mate.

A bonafide cult classic along with GALAXY OF TERROR.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2021, 01:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 234741
THE EXTERMINATOR (1980)

Not seen this in quite a while , so good to give it a spin again.
Stan Winston's effects still look good. I remember my brother saw it on release and mentioned the decapitation sequence when he came back.
I remember being at the cinema and they had a standee of the Exterminator from the poster. Me and my mates were talking about going to try and sneak in and see it but it we never did.

I remember those standees.Our local video hole used the same type of prop when they first released it on vhs,which no doubt came from a cinema.
It stood imposingly in his widow display.
You should’ve sneaked in and blagged it......
Dave Boy likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!