Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2021, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Millennium. 1989.

After a airline crash NTSB investigator Bill Smith tries to uncover what caused the crash, Physicist Arnold Mayer begins toi look into the crash and believes a parallel universe and time travel may be possible.

This is one of those forgotten Science-fiction movies that does seem to pop up every now and again and still enjoyable to watch. Kris Kristofferson plays the crash investigator who disproves theories about time travelling until he is able to see it with his own eyes. There is a nice element twist to the story with the distant future population and why things were put in to process of the crash.

s-l400.jpg
Old 1st August 2021, 12:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jungle Cruise

Disney film with The Rock. Mate wanted to watch this, I was ambivalent.
A brother and sister seek something ancient in the Amazon. This being set during WW1, history is treated with the due respect that Hypocritewood has shown recently ... this was based on one of their rides yes?
A tad more violent than I expected, this wasn't enough though. Meh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st August 2021, 01:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Jungle Cruise

Disney film with The Rock. Mate wanted to watch this, I was ambivalent.
A brother and sister seek something ancient in the Amazon. This being set during WW1, history is treated with the due respect that Hypocritewood has shown recently ... this was based on one of their rides yes?
A tad more violent than I expected, this wasn't enough though. Meh.
Did you see this at the cinema? Home rental? or other means?
Old 1st August 2021, 03:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young man is killed on the subway , he awakens in a strange room surrounded by strangers and is told he is part of a game too destroy creatures and monsters that are attacking japan.

Violent with some fantastic looking monsters and great action scenes , the are a few times the CGI looks a bit poor but on the whole it's fantastic and looks real. Worth a watch.

Now watchng.

Old 1st August 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ravenous. A stranger arrives at a remote military outpost in the US in the 19th century, bringing murder and cannibalism along with him. This late 90s horror has a great cast including Guy Pearce, Robert Carlisle, Jeffrey Jones and David Arquette and is an entertaining mix of horror and very dark humour, with an interesting treatment of cannibalism almost as a plague of vampirism. One taste and there's no going back... I haven't seen this for nigh on 20 years and it's still pretty fun.
Old 1st August 2021, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Ravenous. A stranger arrives at a remote military outpost in the US in the 19th century, bringing murder and cannibalism along with him. This late 90s horror has a great cast including Guy Pearce, Robert Carlisle, Jeffrey Jones and David Arquette and is an entertaining mix of horror and very dark humour, with an interesting treatment of cannibalism almost as a plague of vampirism. One taste and there's no going back... I haven't seen this for nigh on 20 years and it's still pretty fun.
Easily my favourite cannibal film.
iank likes this.
Old 1st August 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Train (1964)

John Frankenheimer's excellent WWII drama starring Burt Lancaster as a railwayman attempting to prevent a slightly unhinged Nazi officer (Paul Schofield) pillaging art treasures from France and transporting them via rail to Berlin as the Allies advance draws near.

Frankenheimer's direction is flawless, allowing the story to build from something slight into a gripping race against time. The French locations are used superbly and the fact real trains were also used really adds to events making this seem like a grander scaled film than it actually is. The action is staged brilliantly, in particular a bombing raid on a rail yard and a train derailment which you could tell was done for real. If you want to know how well it's staged then think how good the car chase is in Frankenheimer's French Connection and imagine it as a bombing raid and train derailment.

Euro horror fans night be interested in seeing Doctor Mabuse himself, Wolfgang Preiss, in a large role as well as Jess Franco regular Howard Vernon.

More true story than boys own action adventure. I highly recommend this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train1.jpg (46.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd August 2021, 02:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Boy Behind The Door. 2020

Two friends Bobby and Kevin are out playing when they are both kidnapped and taken to a secluded house. Bobby manages to escape the car until he hears Kevin's screams and realises he has to get in the house to rescue him.

This may seem upsetting to some with young children and this can be every parents worst nightmare, the plot may be a bit all over the place but got to give credit to Lonnie Chavis and Ezra Dewey playing the young boys as they are trapped and try to get help one way or another. There is one or two flaws in this but either they are deliberate and see how things are from kids point of view or is it just lazy writing. Some good tense moments and very atmospheric.

download.jpg
Old 2nd August 2021, 04:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

SON. 2021.

A pregnant woman on the run from a cult gives birth to a baby. 8 years later Laura is living a peaceful life until her son develops a mysterious illness and she believes the cult is stalking her and her son.

This was a bit of psychological meeting supernatural that can be a bit of a slow pace movie at times that seems to go one way then goes a different way, the acting isn't great but not terrible either. Andi Matichak plays the lead role Laura who is trying to protect her son and Emile Hirsch as the detective who tries to help her and is caught in a game of cat and mouse.

SON.jpg
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you see this at the cinema? Home rental? or other means?
Mate came round with it ahem. I wouldn't have gone to the pictures for Disney.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!