Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2021, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Looker. 1981.

Dr Larry Roberts performs plastic surgery on four different models, when three models die in a suicide, Larry and the police suspect something else. When the fourth model turns up she believes she is in danger. Along with Larry protecting her they look into what happened and uncover suspicious activities at a company.

This was a stylish made Science-Fiction thriller from Michael Crighton that seems to go one way then gives in a small twist, I never had this on my watch list but glad I picked it up on a blind buy. Albert Finney plays Larry Roberts who seems to be the main focus of police enquiries until Susan Dey shows up thinking she is in danger. James Coburn plays somewhat head of a digital company looking for new models for commercial purposes. Entertaining and worth a watch, be advised strong flashing images appear a few times, anyone with epilepsy be advised.

MV5BZTY2OTk5OGYtOGUyNS00MWJlLTg3NWEtM2Y0NmFlZjE4YWE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 4th August 2021, 11:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fabulous Journey To The Centre Of Earth (1977, JP Simon)

Kenneth More? Jack Taylor?? Lone Fleming??? Ahem.

Starts mildly, then descends into that familiar madness, there's even some gore ahem. A mildly sloshed KM (could've been the print) lopes about whilst going down underground, dragging some stock characters along for the ride. What they encounter for their pains is the usual mixture of models, minatures and mattes that we've all come to love ahem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTB.jpg (57.3 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th August 2021, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Holy Mountain. (Der heilige Berg). 1926.

A dancer Diotima meets a enginner and skier Karl and the two begin a affair, when Karl's friend Vigo arrives and Diotima passes him a scarf, Vigo becomes infatuated with her and slowly a love triangle begins.

I never thought i'd get the chance to see this film again and feel very fortunate to do so with a updated release, the captivation of the story is told in somewhat of slow pace but you have to admire the story told of a tragic love affair, the music that is played along, the perfect cinematography and the setting for it. Arnold Fanck and Leni Riefenstahl really put a lot of effort into this even though it took a short time to write and almost a year to film, really do have to admire them.

MV5BMjJhYzc1YzMtNzBhYi00NzlhLWE4NGEtNzJkNjNhNzgwOTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg1ODEwNQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 5th August 2021, 01:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil's Honey. 1986.

A troubled surgeon with a frustrated wife, responds to a call about a young man who has head trauma, when the young boy's girlfriend seeks revenge, she kidnaps the doctor and begins to slowly torture him.

This is a different take of a film by Fulci that seems he went from horror/crime to BDSM mode that's part crime-part erotic thriller. Part of the story may have been the inspiration for Body of Evidence with the candle wax. The story plays out well even though the plot may seem confusing with a few dream sequences that they are either flashbacks or fantasies. Brett Halsey plays the troubled doctor married to Corinne Clery (who has a nice body) and Blanca Marsllach as the unbalanced young Jessica.

Think after watching this I might learn how to play the Saxophone.

81XuoGlfOfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 5th August 2021, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Amok Train (1989)

Italian horror that cunningly passes itself off as Beyond the Door III. Amok Train is a bit of an oddball. Filmed in war torn Serbia, if you want well shot scenes of a train steaming across country juxtaposed with face ripping gore then get on board the Amok Train.

Bizarrely for a movie that encompasses three films in one - Weird Pagan ritual beginning, possessed steam train middle and a bride of Satan final few chapters - it sadly lapses into bugger all happens territory too often but the general lapses of logic help and constantly have you wondering what the hell will come next.

If you guess a blind witch woman who seems to get off groping girls to check their virginity or a mute monk who plays a flute then all credit to you because Amok Train is definitely one for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 612Mzo6m3eL._SL1024_.jpg (95.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th August 2021, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bohemian Rhapsody

The story of how Queen formed and shows the rise and tribulations of the iconic group. I know that there were creative changes to what actually happened in real life but I don't care, this is one of my all time favorite films, it's so entertaining. The acting is amazing and I get goose bumps whenever a song is being performed. The recording of the actual song, Bohemian Rhapsody is awesome. Originally, I didn't get the meaning of Mike Myers being so against that song (After performing it in Wayne's World)

I was so wanting this to sweep The Oscars (One of the few times I wanted to root for a particular Film) and originally I thought that this would by the big Network TV Premier on Christmas Day but I think it's going to be on in November as it will be the 30th anniversary of Freddie's tragic death.

The Terminal

Tom Hanks is unable to leave a New York Airport after his Country is the subject of a Coup whilst in the air. Stanley Tucci plays the Head Of Security who gets increasingly irritated by Hank's refusal to leave. Whilst I do find this Film still enjoyable, there are some scenes that can be easily forwarded on.

Suicide Squad

The original Film which sees the formation of the Squad and battle a supernatural enemy. Whilst I understand the annoyance of people who read the Comics, as someone who never read the Comics, I didn't find it to be as awful as some people say. Viola Davis is the standout.

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Rutger Hauer is a Bounty Hunter hired by the C.I.A to hunt down a Terrorist played by Gene Simmons. This was a Film, I wanted to see for a long time (I eventually found a DVD in a CEX) and TBH, watching this in 2021, I found it be a very average, run of the mill Movie. Whether it was better back in 86, I do not know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br.jpg (9.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tt.jpg (11.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg su.jpg (16.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wdoa.jpg (12.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th August 2021, 06:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Back to the Future (1985)

Not sure why i love these films but hate others from the era such as The Goonies. Both have that very 80's aesthetic. Maybe it's because Back to the Future isn't populated by annoying screaming kids?

Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing as it was filmed entirely at a place i've been to three times and absolutely love - The Universal Studios back lot. I always grin inanely when i see Courthouse Square in films and in Back to the Future it features a lot. A hell of a lot, in fact it's a pivotal location.

Watching it on Blu-ray for the first time last night was wonderful. I don't know if it's the television as much as the actual Blu-ray itself but it seemed like 3D the way the characters almost stood out from the screen.

If you like these three movies then i heartily recommend the Blu-ray box set.
Old 6th August 2021, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched all three of them fairly recently. I love all of them!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th August 2021, 09:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

I think it's probably more that The Goonies just sadly isn't actually any good.
Old 6th August 2021, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Captain Phillips (2013)

A terrific true life thriller about piracy off the coast of Somalia from British director Paul Greengrass which treats it's audience as adults and gives us some almost unbearable tension.

Tom Hanks is excellent as Phillips and Barkhad Abdi gives a stunning performance as the lead pirate Muse.

I'm sure Greengrass must have been having a private joke with his audience about the inadequacy of the British authorities in their response to possible situations. The UK navy suggested Phillips use water pumps to repel pirate vessels whereas the US response was a war ship, an aircraft carrier and two SEAL teams..... Guess which got the job done.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg captain-phillips-poster.jpg (97.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!