Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179516Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2021, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wild Geese II (1985, Peter Hunt)

Scott Glenn? Larry Olivier?? Derek Thompson???
Ahem.
Pulp thriller with an insane premise. What it boils down to is an oddly configured wee thing indeed. The plot seems to have tides. Regardless I enjoyed this one, as I had never seen Glenn with long hair
Ahem.
... and that nice Chaaaalie from Casualty playing a bog trotter
A different level of madness to Codename: Wild Geese.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st August 2021, 09:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Miracle Mile. A young man (Anthony Edwards) finally meets his dream girl and after spending the day together, arranges to meet her after her work shift at 12:15am, only to fall asleep and end up very, very late. Arriving at the all-night diner where she works, he makes the mistake of picking up a ringing phone only to overhear a garbled message from a frantic soldier - who thinks he's calling his dad - that nuclear war is coming and the missiles will be there within the hour. Edwards tries to find his girl and somehow get out of the city, but as word spreads chaos erupts all over, with no one even sure if the call was real or just a sick joke. This paranoid late 80s thriller remains very effective, having the feel of a nightmare that the main character is trapped within.
Old 21st August 2021, 09:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Wild Geese II (1985, Peter Hunt)

Scott Glenn? Larry Olivier?? Derek Thompson???
Ahem.
Pulp thriller with an insane premise. What it boils down to is an oddly configured wee thing indeed. The plot seems to have tides. Regardless I enjoyed this one, as I had never seen Glenn with long hair
Ahem.
... and that nice Chaaaalie from Casualty playing a bog trotter
A different level of madness to Codename: Wild Geese.

I actually like this one too. It's no Wild Geese though, that's for sure
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not at all, as the wee reprise at the start blatantly shows. Fox is great as the no nonsense sidekick though ... will definitely revisit at some point!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd August 2021, 02:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE STYLIST – Would be lazy to call it a kind of feminist answer to ‘Maniac’, but since we’re in the territory of scalpings, undeniable mania, and possible ripostes to the patriarchy… Claire is a timid but obviously quite angry hairdresser who envies her clients, seeming to view their hair as a symbol of the status that has eluded her in life. Fortunately, her matchless talents with a pair of thinning scissors enable her to diversify into serial murder. ‘The Stylist’ is more a study of obsession than an out-and-out bloodbath, and its approach winds slowly between gauzily lit scenes of Claire in her killer’s lair, surrounded by deftly excised bouffants, and sequences in which she pursues and stalks a new friend who seems to have it all. Needless to say, the latter relationship doesn’t end well (in fact it ends in an excellent ‘Pan Books Of Horror’ type set-piece which caps the movie with a bit of classy grand guignol). ‘The Stylist’ is big on atmospheric erm stylistics and long on run-time, and it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I really rate it as a fine ‘slasher-as-character-study’.

MANOS, HANDS OF FATE – This blistering bolt of cinematic wrongness is regarded by some as the ultimate Badfilm. ‘Manos’, a film that defies easy rapport, draws on a whole palette of emotional colour, being by turns tedious, funny, unintentionally surreal, and even eerie. There are some striking images, like the cult leader’s cloak with its embroidered hands of scarlet, and scenes that challenge human sense-making capabilities, such as the endless shot of a burning hand accompanied by incessant shrieking laughter. And how about the bit when the members of Manos’s harem (he’s kind of unreconstructed as cult leaders go, even for the sixties) howl for ages about whether to sacrifice a child or not? So much else besides flutters by like the thoughts of a mind on the brink of sleep, which might not be far off the mark if you have limited tolerance for badly made relics like this. With an open mind, it’s a haunted curiosity shop of incomparable bafflement, so from me it gets a recommend.
Old 22nd August 2021, 03:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always sir
Great defence of the M film. I takes a man to go there in my humble opinion
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
Old 22nd August 2021, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, what the hell ....

Condename: Wild Geese (1985, Margheriti)

I was right, this is a different beast alrighty, sticking closer to the formula etc etc ....
Some chaps go off to do something rather dangerous. They all have their reasons. Ernest Borgnine lends a hand in that weaslely way of his, with the Kinski practicing his RP in the background what what.
Recommended highly.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 22nd August 2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 22nd August 2021, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default writing reviews is so yesterday, besides i cant read...

recent views, all good im my opinion..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (91.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00003.jpg (84.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (81.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (59.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00008.jpg (84.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00009.jpg (79.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00012.jpg (87.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00010.jpg (109.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 22nd August 2021, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

One of my favourite Marvel movies. There's no angst or convoluted plotting here in the second Fantastic Four film in which the superhero family must thwart the fabled guardian of the space ways as the silver foe wreaks havoc on Earth from his legendary flying surf board.

As the four, Ioan Grufford, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis are all excellent and nicely at home in their roles whilst Julian McMahon is delightfully campy as the returning Dr. Doom.

There are some fantastic (cough) set pieces including one at the London Eye in a film that's a colourful and undemanding and perfect popcorn entertainment.

Nightmare City (1980)

An always thoroughly entertaining slice of Italian pulp horror, it has a sense of scale unmatched in Italian zombie horror and rates as one of the best of the mid tier splatter films to come out of Italy in the 70's / 80's.

Nightmare City is another Italian mish mash of a movie and like Fulci's Murder Rock, appears to be a reason for slaughtering wearers of spandex. The film zips along at an almost obscene pace as Hugo Stiglitz and Mel Ferrer try and make sense of things amid all the carnage. I wouldn't worry guys. It's all just a dream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Fantastic_Four_2_Poster.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Nightmare-City-1980.jpg (91.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
recent views, all good im my opinion..
Come ON Ron, I want to hear in minute detail what you thought about The Evil for a bleedin' start ahem knickers and pears cor blimey guvnor ...

Ahem.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!