All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

One of my favourite Marvel movies. There's no angst or convoluted plotting here in the second Fantastic Four film in which the superhero family must thwart the fabled guardian of the space ways as the silver foe wreaks havoc on Earth from his legendary flying surf board.

As the four, Ioan Grufford, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis are all excellent and nicely at home in their roles whilst Julian McMahon is delightfully campy as the returning Dr. Doom.

There are some fantastic (cough) set pieces including one at the London Eye in a film that's a colourful and undemanding and perfect popcorn entertainment.

Nightmare City (1980)

An always thoroughly entertaining slice of Italian pulp horror, it has a sense of scale unmatched in Italian zombie horror and rates as one of the best of the mid tier splatter films to come out of Italy in the 70's / 80's.

Nightmare City is another Italian mish mash of a movie and like Fulci's Murder Rock, appears to be a reason for slaughtering wearers of spandex. The film zips along at an almost obscene pace as Hugo Stiglitz and Mel Ferrer try and make sense of things amid all the carnage. I wouldn't worry guys. It's all just a dream.
Welcome back my friends, to the film that never ends ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd August 2021, 05:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Come ON Ron, I want to hear in minute detail what you thought about The Evil for a bleedin' start ahem knickers and pears cor blimey guvnor ...

Ahem.
Spoiler alert.....
There's a big fat man in a white suit and beard living in the basement,Adam West wasn't available so they sent for Richard Crenna who refused to wear his pants over his tights....

Old 23rd August 2021, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Thy Neighbour. 1973.

Joan and Barbie decide to enter the "Love Thy Neighbour" competition without telling Bill or Eddie. Bill and Eddie have a dispute at work about the union until Bill starts his own union called "ABU" All Blacks Union. Trouble comes more when Eddie's mother arrives and Bill's father arrives and they both spend time together.

Never knew this was made by Hammer studios, for me this was just like one long episode that did have it's moments of laughter and some cringe worth moments, the insults still keep coming and Bill is able to still get one up on Eddie, there is nothing new in this that was already done in the episodes except Arthur and Jacko seem to join the racist table for some reason.

%22Love_Thy_Neighbour%22_%281973%29.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 24th August 2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 24th August 2021, 08:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Vamp (1986)

Pretty dismal horror comedy which felt like it was from the same universe as Fright Night yet lacking any of that 1985 films thrills.

Part frat comedy and part horror supposedly set in a sleazy LA strip club, you know the type, so sleazy that the strippers don't actually strip, and following a fun slightly gory vampire kill by Grace Jones... well, that's about it as far as gore was concerned.

Sure Vamp is lively enough but it falls short of being funny comedy or quality horror. As a first time viewing this was a disappointment.

I never saw this when it came out - saw it ten years ago and have to agree, it’s dogshit.
Old 24th August 2021, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Censor

Film set during the 80's Video Nasty Era which sees a Film Censor start to go crazy when she thinks she sees her missing (Presumed dead) Sister in a Horror Film. This had a really good start with some good Easter Eggs (For those that follow The Video Nasty Era) however what could have been a Horror/Thriller descended into a Psychological Horror with an ending with can be classed as divisive.

On another note, I wish that The BBFC had Censors in the 90's like they do now because this along with The Suicide Squad would have been clear 18's. I didn't see Don't Breathe 2 but I'm definitely wondering how that got an higher rating?

Green Book

Award winning Drama based on the True Story of an Italian/American Bouncer who is hired to drive and protect a Black Pianist during a tour of The Deep South in the 60's. I know that some people don't like this one but I really love this one, it shows the developing friendship of the odd couple at first mixed in with how things were during that time.

Menace II Society

1993 Film depicting the life of a Black Teen in L.A. where Drugs and violence are rife. This is a Film that I was meaning to see for a long time and whilst I wasn't bored, I didn't think it was all that.

When I was much younger when I saw the poster in a Cinema, I initially thought that this was a sequel to film called Menace with a subtitle called Society lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (9.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg gb.jpg (11.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg miis.jpg (13.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th August 2021, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Coming soon, Menace 2 - 'Society'!

I'd watch that lol

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th August 2021, 03:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hellboy (2019) ½

I wanted to like this. I really wanted to like this.

I think Neil Marshall is a great director – Dog Soldiers and The Descent are tremendous movies; Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall are two of the strongest episodes in all eight seasons of Game of Thrones. I thought David Harbour was excellent in Stranger Things, Milla Jovovich was generally one of the few reasons to rewatch the Resident Evil sequels, Daniel Dae Kim is a reliably strong screen presence, and Ian McShane is always worth watching.

How did they come to make such a bad film. Not just bad, but awful. I didn't think it would be as good as Guillermo del Toro's wonderful fantasy-action-adventure films, but I never thought the Dark Horse comics could be turned into a film this loud, violent, and boring.

Should all the blame be laid at the feet of Andrew Cosby, a producer writing his first feature film screenplay? No, that would be unfair because there are many people involved in producing a film, and the screenwriter is just one of them.

Whereas del Toro's Hellboy is an asshole with a heart of gold, the titular character in this film is just an asshole. He doesn't have a lovable father figure like John Hurt's Prof Broom, a sparky relationship with Liz Sherman, an Agent Manning to wind up and irritate.

Instead, we have some bland characters, horrible English accents, cod fabled history, a bastardisation of King Arthur's story, ugly visuals, and an annoying soundtrack. I plan to watch this again to see if my first impressions were right – if they are, I'm glad I only spent £1.42 on the Blu-ray release and hadn't shelled out 10 times that to watch it at the cinema.

Old 24th August 2021, 04:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Escape Room. 2019.

Six strangers are invited to a escape room believing it to be a joke they soon find out it is real.

By no means is this oscar winning material but it certainly had me glued to my seat, If you liked Cube then this will be up your street or alley, the acting is decent strangers coming together to be game players, few laughable comments and different rooms with different tasks with a small twist added in. it does have the feel of Saw and Belko Experiment with someone planning the tasks and observing, certainly would watch again.

220px-Escape_Room_(2019_poster).jpg
Old 24th August 2021, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Torso. 1973.

A killer is targeting young students from a university, the police have no clues except a red and black scarf, could one of the students know and be connected to the killer without realising it.

For some reason this film has never really entertained me as other Giallo films but today I surprised myself by sitting through it and really enjoyed it. Suzy Kendall plays the English foreign student who's friends seem to be getting bumped off by a killer in a white mask. This was a decent stylish cat and mouse game thriller with some good built up tense moments, the murders are very stylish and gory.

MV5BYjk5ODdlZGUtZWE5OC00N2VhLWIwYzktYTY4YTQyNzQyMmQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 24th August 2021, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Masturbating Gunman (2000)

Ahem. I wasn't writing out the "real" title (see poster )
Antipodean malarkey. A tale as old as time.
There is violence for all that. SOV for all intense purposes, this has it all, well, you know what I mean. I'm going off now to watch Cries & Whispers to calm down with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAS.jpg (93.7 KB, 6 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!