LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2021, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Body Snatchers. 1993.

On a military base in Atlanta a young girl and her scientist father discover humans are being taken over by Aliens.

Another version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, this time Abel Ferrara takes to the director's chair on the story by Jack Finney. I have always wanted to see this version but feel disappointed, Ferrara has always been one of those unpredictable directors yet this is mild compared to his other movies. The 1956 and the 1978 happen round a city where this is confined to one particular area that really doesn't do well, the scenes that are built up for tension happen very slowly and are really not played out well.

Attachment 235822
I really like this.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Land of the Dead (2005)

Although i've always loved this film and find it comfort viewing it has in the past always seemed a little less in your face when it came to the gut wrenching gore. However watching the unrated director's cut on the recent Fabulous Films Blu-ray, i was wrong.

The gore is there from the start and if anything i'd say there's perhaps more gore than any of the other films. From arm and neck biting to entrails being ripped from bodies to shotgun blasts to the head. Maybe it's simply a case of there being better detail and colours in HD, i don't know, but this did seem an altogether more graphic affair than the directors cut dvd i have.

I still think Land of the Dead is Romero's most entertaining zombie film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1000.jpg (27.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th August 2021, 03:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Imagine if this Film flopped, I'm pretty sure that the next Film in the series is The Incredible Hulk and if I remember correctly, it didn't exactly set the world alight.

Things could be a lot different.
hulkquad.jpg
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2011)

Yeah, this movie is hardly mentioned among the rest of the MCU movies.
There is no origin story here and as such you could say this is a follow on from HULK (2003).
The problem maybe now, is that there is really no link to any of the other movies that were to come. None of the actors apart from William Hurt (General Ross) appear in any other movies. The only other links are a mention of the super soldier syrum and the Avengers tag on.
The movie itself though is enjoyable enough and the first parts of the movie where Banner is trying to keep the beast under control are good.
The Hulk himself looks good and there are plenty of explosive moments and mayhem as Hulk takes on The Abomination.
Old 29th August 2021, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Captain Marvel (2019)

Following an opening twenty minutes where characters flew around in space firing bolts of lightning out of their arses at one another in tiresome Marvel fashion this actually settled down into a decent earth set adventure for Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) and Nick Fury (A CGI youthful Samuel L Jackson).

Set in 1995, this has a great soundtrack - Nirvana, Hole, Lita Ford, Heart, REM, Garbage and No Doubt - as well as some fun set pieces whilst Danvers and Fury made for an enjoyable double act. It's only when it arrives at it's finale that it kinda goes all up inside it's own rectum in true Marvel style again. At two hours this was just long enough.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Fright. 1967.

A government space experiment with animals goes wrong and a rocket crashes to earth unleashing a monster that terrorizes a small Texas community.

Probably back then in swinging 60s this may have had good premise in someone's head but lacked the budget they wanted, you got a bunch of adults trying to be teenagers again dancing and getting killed. A town Sheriff who fails to act tough and walks like he just had something rammed up his back alleyway without the use of a lubricant and a soundtrack that sounds very familiar to the 1958 film The Blob, give the crew some credit they did try to make a decent monster creature, this is one that is not to be taken seriously.

Night%20Fright.jpg
Old 29th August 2021, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This was highly enjoyable . Ryan Reynolds plays Guy a mild mannered bank teller who finds out one day that he and all his friends are just Npcs for computer game called free city, we follow guy as he comes too terms with this, falls in love with some one from the real world as he tries to save his friends and the city, we also have a second story in the real world in which a game designer is looking for evidence that's hidden in the game that her code and idea was stolen to make free city.

As I said very enjoyable with lots of easter eggs and cameos, the Captian America bit was brillant. Something will watch again and buy when it comes out. One of those films which you can switch of your brain and forget the problems of the world.

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th August 2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ok I can see why a lot of people find this boring, confusing and turns into a acid trip. but I've always enjoyed it and even if you find it boring , you can't say it's not well directed and beautifully shot and the special effects still look amazing putting most modern CGI effects too shame.

It truly looks stunning on 4k.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Expendables 3 (2014)

A hugely enjoyable action sequel with a cast to kill for if you enjoy 80's / 90's action films - Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Antonio Banderas, Jet Li, Wesley Snipes, Dolph Lundgren, Kelsey Grammer, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Robert Davi, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Although it falters a little during the middle third as Stallone assembles a new younger team - Kellan Lutz, Ronda Rousey, Glen Powell, Victor Ortiz - the final forty minutes is one long action sequence involving tanks, helicopters and collapsing buildings as Mel Gibson's bad guy sends a small country's army after the Expendables.

I'd never seen the R-rated cut before and it's much more violent than the 12 version, meanwhile the ridiculously loud Dolby Atmos soundtrack will have your house shaking as it engulfs your surround sound system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014Expendables3Lionsgate.jpg (99.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th August 2021, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One Dark Night. 1982.

Mysterious Karl Rhamarevich dies after discovering a way to be more powerful in death with telekinesis. College student Julia wants to join a sorority, her task is to spend the night in a mausoleum, unaware Rhamarevich has just been buried.

This was a bit of a decent flick from the 80s, Meg Tilly plays the young co-ed who wants to be part of the college sisters, the first half of the film is obscure, Karl's daughter doesn't believe in the power of telekinesis, obviously she hasn't Carrie, here husband Adam West can't really convince her it's real. The mausoleum does have that eerie creepy vibe that is almost makes it look real, bravo to the set designers for that, then you have some of the dead wakening up...probably not in the best moods, it's like thy aren't zombies but more regenerated beings controlled by the power of the mind. It's a 80s film and some cheesy moments but one I would happily return to watch again.

movieposter.jpg
Old 29th August 2021, 11:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
One Dark Night. 1982.

Mysterious Karl Rhamarevich dies after discovering a way to be more powerful in death with telekinesis. College student Julia wants to join a sorority, her task is to spend the night in a mausoleum, unaware Rhamarevich has just been buried.

This was a bit of a decent flick from the 80s, Meg Tilly plays the young co-ed who wants to be part of the college sisters, the first half of the film is obscure, Karl's daughter doesn't believe in the power of telekinesis, obviously she hasn't Carrie, here husband Adam West can't really convince her it's real. The mausoleum does have that eerie creepy vibe that is almost makes it look real, bravo to the set designers for that, then you have some of the dead wakening up...probably not in the best moods, it's like thy aren't zombies but more regenerated beings controlled by the power of the mind. It's a 80s film and some cheesy moments but one I would happily return to watch again.

Attachment 235855
Remember going cinema to watch this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!