Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

I know some on the site didn't like this much, but I enjoyed it. Here it's told from the point of view of the invisible man's victim,his wife . It's a slow burning affair in which the wife leaves her abusive husband who is later found dead, not long after she believes he faked his death and is stalking her and is invisible , you are left wondering if it's all in her head and she is a little unhinged , we have a couple of twists. The scene of her sister being killed in a restaurant just looked silly, but as I said I enjoyed it.

We had some good camera work to the sense of isolation and the sense of being watched . Elisabeth Moss was fantastic in her role as the wife, think after this might give handmaids take a go.
I really enjoyed this one however the scene that looked silly for me was when she was framed for hitting her friend's Daughter even though she was far away from her.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Keeper. 1976.

The Keeper of a Asylum murders his wealthy patients to claim their inheritance, when a private investigator is hired, he gets his assistance to pose as his cousin in order to see what is going on.

Howling II starred the late great Christopher Lee who was embarrassed to be in the film yet I think it's great then he starred in Funnyman and think the audience felt embarrassed for him, but then he also done this film, Christopher Lee is always a amazing actor to watch, yet when he is with so called actors who try to over shine everyone the film becomes a dud. It does show us his sinister side with hypnosis, there is no tense moments or suspense, may be a re-watch but not anytime soon.

7033751.2.jpg
Old 3rd September 2021, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Next Of Kin (1982, Tony Williams)

When Linda returns to her mother's last resting place ( a care home), she finds more than rising damp to contend with.
Didn't hold my attention this time, decent print and that but it just didn't pop, so to speak ahem.
Shame as there's a lot to like, like most Aussie flicks, the supporting cast (including John Jarratt) are always value for money. Was a bit knackered when I perused it, so might try again later in the month.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 3rd September 2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 3rd September 2021, 05:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Next Of Kin (1982, Tony Williams)

When Linda returns to her mother's last resting place ( a care home), she finds more than rising damp to contend with.
Didn't hold my attention this time, decent print and that but it just didn't pop, so to speak ahem.
Shame as there's a lot to like, like most Aussie flicks, the supporting cast (including John Jarratt) are always value for money. Was a bit knackered when I persused it, so might try again later in the month.
Same for me, Demon.
I saw it years ago on vhs and thought it was a creepy little chiller.
Watching it again all these years later, I found it pretty disappointing.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 3rd September 2021, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed, it just seemed to take too long to get a full head of steam if you like ....
Mojo likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th September 2021, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Batman (1989)

For me the least of the four original Batman films. Don't get me wrong, i still like it but at times it really does turn into the Jack Nicholson show with Michael Keaton's caped crusader largely sidelined until the action packed finale.

The seeds of greatness, of what was to come in Batman Returns three years later, are there, they just aren't fully grown here.

The Warners Blu-ray is disappointing. The picture quality simply isn't there especially in early outside scenes, it's not grainy, more lacking sharpness. The sound too is lacking, in fact the whole thing felt like i was watching a dvd upscaled poorly. Hoping the other three are better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BATMAN-1989-repro-UK-cinema-quad-poster-30x40.jpg (21.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 4th September 2021, 01:18 PM
Cult Addict

I found my Blu copies of the Batman boxset in a charity shop a few weeks ago but have only checked they were working so haven't rewatched them yet, each film had a shit load of extras though which wasn't mentioned on the back cover.

I really need to watch them again soon.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th September 2021, 01:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I found my Blu copies of the Batman boxset in a charity shop a few weeks ago but have only checked they were working so haven't rewatched them yet, each film had a shit load of extras though which wasn't mentioned on the back cover.

I really need to watch them again soon.
Batman just ports the extras from the two disc dvd over to Blu-ray. There's nothing new whatsoever. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of them and they are good but the fact there's no new content whatsoever makes me think it's simply an upscale job.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 4th September 2021, 01:35 PM
Cult Addict

I only actually had Batman Returns on dvd for some reason, think i just watched them when they were on TV for a while.

And that copy was just a basic version, so the extras are all new to me.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th September 2021, 01:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I only actually had Batman Returns on dvd for some reason, think i just watched them when they were on TV for a while.

And that copy was just a basic version, so the extras are all new to me.
There's a good fifty minute doc about the creation of Batman as a comic character on the Batman disc.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!