Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2021, 07:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I came across it on YouTube Peter Jackson's splatter trilogy | Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead.
Old 10th September 2021, 08:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Luther the Geek

I wish all Troma films were as good as this one. Really good grisly little slasher. The actor who plays Luther is really good - plays the character really straight and it comes across well. Then on the flip side of that…

Return to Nuke-Em High Vol. 1

When Troma films are good they tend to be great. But when they’re bad then tend to be totally ****ing awful. This is the latter. I don’t know what it is about the actors, but they’re constantly just playing for a laugh which becomes too stupid after two minutes. Maybe it’s just a different type of comedy that they’re going for, but the characters making really obvious jokes which are then immediately explained by another character…just turns me off. There’s always a fat guy who, every time he comes on the screen, lift up his shirt and shakes his belly. They need some new gross-out material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th September 2021, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A classic and one of my favourite trilogy of all time. Nothing I can say about this that hasn't already been said so I'll talk about the fantastic 4k release. It's looks truly impressive , with levels of detail not seen before and bright vibrant colours , the level of detail on clothes etc is great, you can see the mark on Marties head , when he pulls Docs mind reading device off his forehead. It also boasts a amazing Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

A dangerous entity is making its way too earth, Kirk who is now a admiral managers to get command of the newly refitted enterprise to try and stop the entity . Often called the slow motion picture, because of the lack of action and slow pace, but as gotten older I've enjoyed it more and it does feel more like star trek than some of the later movies.

The 4K release is a good improvement over the old blu ray,with better colours and skin tones , greater detail never seen before on models and uniforms , few places which picture quality isn't as good as it should be in some scenes, but on the whole A improvement over the blu ray.

Next up .

Last edited by trebor8273; 10th September 2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The 4K release is a good improvement over the old blu ray,with better colours and skin tones , greater detail never seen before on models and uniforms , few places which picture quality isn't as good as it should be in some scenes, but on the whole A improvement over the blu ray.
I bought the single Blu-ray release of Star Trek The Voyage Home today from Asda. It's from that same 4K restoration so will look fantastic on my tv. It's a huge step up from the original Bd because it's also got a DolbyTrueHD 7:1 soundtrack to go with the original 2 channel Stereo.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bought the single Blu-ray release of Star Trek The Voyage Home today from Asda. It's from that same 4K restoration so will look fantastic on my tv. It's a huge step up from the original Bd because it's also got a DolbyTrueHD 7:1 soundtrack to go with the original 2 channel Stereo.
All the 4k release has the same sound track from the blu rays but as you say it's a huge step up from the dvd and I had no problem with the sound when watching motion picture.

Mind seems I will have too buy motion picture again when they release the directors cut, which had added footage but with how the effects are they would need too be redone or would look out of place.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
All the 4k release has the same sound track from the blu rays but as you say it's a huge step up from the dvd and I had no problem with the sound when watching motion picture.

Mind seems I will have too buy motion picture again when they release the directors cut, which had added footage but with how the effects are they would need too be redone or would look out of place.
I was originally going to buy the box set of the ten film collection that was released on Blu-ray about ten years ago but thanks to this new restoration i'll buy the individual titles instead. It's going to cost more but will be worth it for the additional extra features, superior picture and way, way superior sound.

I think i'll watch The Voyage Home tonight and might nip out and get The Motion Picture tomorrow. We'll see.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm pretty sure that the DC of Star Trek The Motion Picture will not be getting remastered, it's currently only available as an SD extra on the blus (and 4k). The effects as you say we're finished off at video resolution so would need to be rendered again. Massive job.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th September 2021, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Not sure what it says about me when the first four Trek films are re-released and out of Star Trek The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home...

...I buy 'the one with the whales' first.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the DC of Star Trek The Motion Picture will not be getting remastered, it's currently only available as an SD extra on the blus (and 4k). The effects as you say we're finished off at video resolution so would need to be rendered again. Massive job.
Agreed. From what i've read the reason they've only released the first four films so far is because of the huge job it is restoring them all.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran

It's the most entertaining one in my eyes, I love the fish out of water aspect of these guys from the future plonked into 80s San Francisco with no money and no clue lol..

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!