Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2021, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the DC of Star Trek The Motion Picture will not be getting remastered, it's currently only available as an SD extra on the blus (and 4k). The effects as you say we're finished off at video resolution so would need to be rendered again. Massive job.
https://collider.com/star-trek-the-m...aramount-plus/

https://trekmovie.com/2021/07/07/sta...for-paramount/
They are doing it looks like it will go too paramount plus first but expect a physical/ digital release
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure what it says about me when the first four Trek films are re-released and out of Star Trek The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home...

...I buy 'the one with the whales' first.
It's my favourite .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
https://collider.com/star-trek-the-m...aramount-plus/

https://trekmovie.com/2021/07/07/sta...for-paramount/
They are doing it looks like it will go too paramount plus first but expect a physical/ digital release
Nice that's good news! Although it's going to be almost a year for it to be done, and the Paramount+ will have it exclusively for a number of months before the physical discs will be done.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th September 2021, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Nice that's good news! Although it's going to be almost a year for it to be done, and the Paramount+ will have it exclusively for a number of months before the physical discs will be done.
As long as they get the rest of the films out in between time i'm sure nobody will notice.
Old 10th September 2021, 07:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As long as they get the rest of the films out in between time i'm sure nobody will notice.
Rumours I've heard first quarter of 2022, thankfully I won't need to buy them, because of you already own them in HD , Apple upgrade for free!
Old 10th September 2021, 07:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Rumours I've heard first quarter of 2022, thankfully I won't need to buy them, because of you already own them in HD , Apple upgrade for free!
That sounds pretty cool.

Unless...

...can you imagine them doing that with Star Wars?

Sorry. Say goodbye to your original theatrical cuts Apple members. Here's George's tweaked monstrosities instead.

And i doubt there's nothing you can do about it either.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th September 2021, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jaws: The Revenge (1987, Joseph Sargent)

His accent
Ahem.
Made during that period where Caine would turn up for the price of a sandwich (it seemed), this rather silly blend of faaaamily drama and slasher film was worth the wait, as I hadn't laughed as much in ages.
The first death is a comedy masterclass worthy of Darkplace imho.
It also contains a closeup worthy of Bergman imho.

One last thing .....

"Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaake!!!"

Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th September 2021, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Paper Moon (1973)

Peter Bogdanovich's comedy / drama road movie which sees conman Moses Pray meet nine year old Addie Loggins as they scam their way across Kansas and Missouri during the Great Depression.

Starring real life father and daughter Ryan and Tatum O'Neal, Paper Moon is a joy from first to last. Bogdanovich filmed this in crisp black and white (As he did with 1971's The Last Picture Show) and it really gives the dust bowl towns and scenery that sand spittin' vibe, the starkness of it all harking back to American Depression classics like 1940's The Grapes of Wrath, however unlike that film there's plenty of fun along the way.

Like me you'll probably spend minutes afterwards working out how the duo con twenties out of shop keepers when they only began with five bucks but it all adds to the charm of the film.

Whilst Ryan is very good and drives the narrative forward it's daughter Tatum who is the real star. She's funny in a subtle way and has a stare that would sour milk and it doesn't take long before we realise she's more than a match for her elder companion when it comes to getting her own way and of course during their hustles.

Paper Moon is a cynical charmer of a film and one that will seemingly never age. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51C0SW+Eo6L.jpg (33.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th September 2021, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prince Of Darkness. 1987.

A group of physics students and their professor are choosen by a priest to investigate a abandoned church and in the basement a container filled with liquid.

John Carpenter had some good horror credits to his name in Halloween, The Fog, The Thing and Christine, so why didn't this take off, due to 20th Centuary Fox for messing up his previous film Big trouble In Little China, thanks to those idiots for not promoting the film well, some thought this would follow suit of being another mix of genre's together. So Mr Carpnter made another horror and this was brilliant yet never got the good right up, could that be because 10 years earlier Exorcist II came out and a lot of people liked that film yet hated this film??

What is there to hate about this film, it has suspense, terror, great make-up effects, a haunting background score, the late Donald Pleasance is in it and a assortment of other good actors and Alice Cooper of course. It's basically like a present day demonic possession film, Satan gathering new minions on Earth. So those who hate it can kiss me where my cheeks meet, thankfully this has the cult following it should have when it first came out.

Webp.net-resizeimage-350x445.jpg
Old 11th September 2021, 12:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Possession. 2012

A young girl purchases a box from a sale unaware of what it is and what is inside it. As her attitude and persona change, her dad seeks to find the truth about the box and what he can do.

For me this was a decent film, it may not be for everyone, the first part is at a slow pace which builds up the characters to their present life, seperated parents, mother moving on, father trying to establish his love for basketball and two daughters stuck in the middle. The actors in this are really good, Natasha Calis plays the young Emily (Em) who has a fascination with the box, Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays the concerned father. What makes this a bit different is most possession films deals with normal exorcisms where this one deals with the Jewish side of religion. Nice late Friday night horror.

4a7d9d4a2d52cfd34b6b9ec9d40e7237b488bac3.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!