Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2021, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crowhaven Farm. 1970.

A couple inherit a farm which they believe may save their marriage only to be confronted by the ghosts who may be seking revenge.

This was a blind watch for me and was intruiging, I won't say it had me gripped to my seat but did wonder how it would play out to the end. Hope Lange and Paul Burke play the young couple Maggie and Ben who need some time away from the city, and Maggie feels something is off. It's a bit of a mixture of the supernatural and a coven of witches. For a T.V. movie this was not that bad.

crowhaven-farm-1970-rare-oop-cde1.jpg
Old 19th September 2021, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Contamination 7. 1990. (aka The Crawlers)

When a nuclear power plant manager starts dumping radioactive waste in a forest, the roots begin to attack people in a near by town.

When you see the Filmirage logo appear at the start of the movie you know you can be in a for a good treat of a film, with some great acting, perfect story and and some really unpredictable jump scares...who am i kidding we know how bad these films are I won't bore you by going through all the titles this is under but why Troll III??? The acting is never great, the kills are off screen and even the blonde lass goes way OTT with her death, we have our guilty pleasure movies and I think this one will be added to my list

Contamination_7_The_Crawlers_Troll_3-621987573-large.jpg
Old 19th September 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

King Kong (2005)

Peter Jackson's epic take on the Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace classic is in a way a mixed bag. It looks superb and Kong as performed by Andy Serkis is terrific as are the two main action set pieces but it's also a bit of a mess at times.

The film takes almost an hour to get to Skull Island which isn't a problem for me as the character development is nicely done, in fact all the film's quiet moments are excellent, in particular those featuring Kong and Naomi Watts.

No, where it becomes a little tedious is the hour on the island which is simply one creature set piece after another and most really aren't necessary. It's as though Jackson tried to outdo Jurassic Park but forgot to throw in the quiet character moments. It needed breaking up and some of the action dropping altogether. In fact shave a good half hour of island action away and i'd suggest you've got something of a classic in it's own right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8772.jpg (90.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th September 2021, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Contamination 7. 1990. (aka The Crawlers)

When a nuclear power plant manager starts dumping radioactive waste in a forest, the roots begin to attack people in a near by town.

When you see the Filmirage logo appear at the start of the movie you know you can be in a for a good treat of a film, with some great acting, perfect story and and some really unpredictable jump scares...who am i kidding we know how bad these films are I won't bore you by going through all the titles this is under but why Troll III??? The acting is never great, the kills are off screen and even the blonde lass goes way OTT with her death, we have our guilty pleasure movies and I think this one will be added to my list

Attachment 236372
I actually have this on dvd. How did you watch it? Streaming?
Old 19th September 2021, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I actually have this on dvd. How did you watch it? Streaming?
Found it on YouTube along with Quest Of The Mighty Sword
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th September 2021, 01:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spider In The Attic. 2021.

A journalist looking for her next story, her daughter tells her of a doctor who found secret experiments from WWII that combines DNA with other animals and insects. When they arrive at the doctor's country house, they find him dead and try to uncover what he has done.

Wow...just ****ing wow, is this the best that the Brittish can do for a spider flick lately, A group of people find a body cocooned in a spider's web, one giant unknown speicies of a spider on a bed that you searched and decide to stay...i think normal people would get out of dodge all together. really bad CGI effects, really crappy acting and a a house set on fire yet from the outside the house seems fine. Only two decent parts of this film, the background score and the end credits. Avoid at all cost, if it's one you want to see it's on youtube surprisingly made this year yet it's on there.

Spider-In-The-Attic-2021-Poster-2..jpg
Old 20th September 2021, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

A Bridge Too Far 1977 Poster Landscape Quad.jpg
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977)

Blimey! Has it really been a year since I watched this. Seems like just a few months ago.
The air lift sequence still gets me every time. Goose bumps.
Old 20th September 2021, 03:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Survivor (1981)

Nine times out of ten i'd say you couldn't go wrong with a film starring Robert Powell and Jenny Agutter. However The Survivor is the exception.

Based on a book by James Herbert it's about a pilot (Powell) who is the only survivor when a Boeing 747 crashes in Australia. He has no memory of what happened but soon begins to suffer strange visions about the accident.

Billed as a supernatural thriller, this is as thrill less as it gets. David Hemmings' direction is insipid and the outcome predictable.

Go watch Final Destination instead, this is dull.
Old 20th September 2021, 03:39 PM
Cult Veteran

I quite liked The Survivor when I watched it a couple of years ago, granted I've since sold my copy so, erm, I'll show myself out

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th September 2021, 03:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Corpse. 1971.

A mother and daughter form a plan to murder the sadistic patriach of the family.

Michael Gough shows his well balanced acting in this as the sadistic domineering father and husband, from the out set it's a psycholigical mind games that are played out well. Yvonne Mitchell plays the wife who is tiresome of his antics and wants to escape but not until she has her revenge with daughter Sharon Gurney. I will say this the ending was a bit strange as in was it a dream or did the plan backfire, very tense atmospheric chiller that was enjoyable.

Attachment 236364
I like this one - it has that strange, quirky UK horror thriller feel to it that still seems quite unique.
I have the Shout Factory Blu ray ( as CRUCIBLE OF HORROR ) but this could do with a special UK edition. Indicator, maybe?

Like this? Share it using the links below!