Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2021, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's an odd beast. I was quite gripped the last time I watched it, but was watching a lot giallo at the time ....
It didn't help that they caught him with forty minutes to go i guess.

I did laugh when Fonda slugged a guy (no spoilers) in the police station and George Kennedy looks at him disapprovingly. "We don't do that in the police force anymore" he whines.

No of course not George. You were just pissed Fonda did it first. It's akin to Lee Marvin tutting at on screen violence in movies.
Old 21st September 2021, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Marky Mark one? It's hilarious. His cameo in this one really takes the biscuit factory tbh ...
Reminds me. I must revisit Signs some day.

Pure comedy gold. I saw it in the cinema and proper laughed out loud at the car/ tree scene.

'Normal' folks probably thought i was deranged.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st September 2021, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, we're a happy family.

Find it in Poundland in 18 months and indulge. It's utterly HIM.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Conjuring:The Devil Made Me Do It. 2021

In 1981 after a exorcism in Connecticut, The Warrens try to help a young man on trial for a killing who they believe was possessed.

I know this has had some flack to be boring, uninteresting, daft, pointless etc, to be honest I actually enjoyed this, ok it does lack it's tense moments from the first two and very little jump scares and does mention the case of Michael Taylor from 1974. I have only seen short clips of the story but never really looked into it but can't really say what is real and what part is Hollywood make believe. This is one I will go back and watch again.

EXCLUSIVE-The-Conjuring-The-Devil-Made-Me-Do-It-expected-to-release-in-India-in-CINEMAS-on-July-.jpg
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Quiet Place Part II.2020

The Abbott family now venture outside where the horrors await them.

After the other shitty movies I have watched I thought a break would never come but it did with this film, we get the jist at the start how the creatures came to be on earth and what a way to make a entrance...just glad I didn't have a coffee in my hand otherwise i'd be wearing it It does have some good tense moments and who says kids are never resourceful. If you liked the first one then this is worth a watch.

81dbeTWYPrS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Brotherhood of Satan (1971)

Aside from one very eerie dream sequence and a good performance from Strother Martin i just can't get excited about this film.

The whole thing felt like a prequel to a parallel universe Children of the Damned with it's bonkers plot of a coven of satanists transferring their souls into children during one final satanic ritual.

Having said that, the film is well photographed especially in the secret hall / room where the ritual takes place, the coven is beautifully realised, but the harsh truth is i simply never found it creepy, scary, gripping or especially interesting.

The Cat O' Nine Tails (1971)

I'm slowly coming round to this film after years of contempt. I was always disappointed that one very stylish early death aside it lacked the usual Dario Argento flamboyance in it's murder set pieces.

Starring Karl Malden as a blind man (There'd be whining and death threats about lack of diversity from the social media virtue signalers if this happened nowadays) who teams up with reporter (James Franciscus) to catch a killer driven by a chromosome imbalance who is killing the staff of a roman research hospital.

This remains one of Argento's weaker efforts from his directing heyday but it still has it's moments, with Malden and Franciscus having a good repartee and the story striking that fine line between mystery and psycho thriller.
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:36 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Cat O' Nine Tails (1971)

I'm slowly coming round to this film after years of contempt. I was always disappointed that one very stylish early death aside it lacked the usual Dario Argento flamboyance in it's murder set pieces.

Starring Karl Malden as a blind man (There'd be whining and death threats about lack of diversity from the social media virtue signalers if this happened nowadays) who teams up with reporter (James Franciscus) to catch a killer driven by a chromosome imbalance who is killing the staff of a roman research hospital.

This remains one of Argento's weaker efforts from his directing heyday but it still has it's moments, with Malden and Franciscus having a good repartee and the story striking that fine line between mystery and psycho thriller.
I feel like the social justice would be about the murderer's motivations rather than a man with full sight playing a blind man, but I get where you're coming from

I like Cat... but it is fairly low-key compared to ALL of Dario's other work. Nice soundtrack though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd September 2021, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I feel like the social justice would be about the murderer's motivations rather than a man with full sight playing a blind man, but I get where you're coming from
Now you're being ridiculous. Finding that out would mean having to watch the film. They won't have time for that when there's the whole world desperate to read their faux outrage on the next subject that has jackshit to do with them.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 22nd September 2021, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Now you're being ridiculous. Finding that out would mean having to watch the film. They won't have time for that when there's the whole world desperate to read their faux outrage on the next subject that has jackshit to do with them.
Obviously they would have found out about it after watching someone's review of it on Tiktok

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd September 2021, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo. 1977

Two pilots smuggle sacks of coffee beans from South America to the U.S. with three migrate workers, unaware a sack is carry some deadly spiders crashes in a small town. When deaths begin to occur the local doctor thinks the deaths are a snake bite but soon uncovers the real enemy.

Made for T.V. Movie released a month after Kingdom of the spiders that makes it a bit more believable and we don't have to put up with William Shatner's acting. This wasn't too bad of a film, nobody seems to over act anyone, Pat Hingle and Claude Akins show off their acting while battling the arachnids. Tom Atkins plays one of the pilots in a small role unfortunately he didn't have more screen time, at least this film shows how to immobilize spiders, worth a glance.

tarantulasthedeadlycargo.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!