Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil's Rain. 1975.

A satanic cult leader burned at the stake 300 years ago returns to find a family who have the book of souls he requires to fulfill his destiny of bringing hell on earth.

This was a strange one, it starts off with The Preston Family of Ma and Pa and their son Mark played by William Shatner panicking about Corbis played by Ernest Borgnine and a amulet that can protect him. He goes out and stuff happens and his mother is nowhere to be seen, Pa Preston strung, he goes to Corbis and weird shit happens then goes to Tom Preston played by Tom Skerritt and his wife Julie who has visions and half way through things are told in a vision/flashback.

This is basically low budget which was funded by a mob and the director Robert Fuest had two makes to make it, give the guy a chance and it could have been decent which is why it's on Roger Ebert's hated list, does this guy like anything? it's decently paced, can't get atmospheric at times and obviously stunt performers lacking or they went for one who can make falling down the stairs laughable. Not sure if anyone has seen it but I enjoyed it.

0*XPGLHJLQSqhzTH4L.jpg
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trace. 2012. (aka The Ancient Gate)

A group of friends try a recording of a EVP session while saying a demonic entity's name and realise a door has opened for it.

Looks like bad horror movies on YouTube strikes again for me, the start of the film made it look interesting and wonder why the guy at the start and why he decided to end his life...I only made it 40 minutes into this movie and by then I was begging for everyone to die quickly. If you want a decent film about EVP re-visit White Noise 2005, run from this one.

mqdefault.jpg
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:04 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo. 1977

Two pilots smuggle sacks of coffee beans from South America to the U.S. with three migrate workers, unaware a sack is carry some deadly spiders crashes in a small town. When deaths begin to occur the local doctor thinks the deaths are a snake bite but soon uncovers the real enemy.

Made for T.V. Movie released a month after Kingdom of the spiders that makes it a bit more believable and we don't have to put up with William Shatner's acting. This wasn't too bad of a film, nobody seems to over act anyone, Pat Hingle and Claude Akins show off their acting while battling the arachnids. Tom Atkins plays one of the pilots in a small role unfortunately he didn't have more screen time, at least this film shows how to immobilize spiders, worth a glance.
Back in the late 70's, ITV used to show a 'family friendly' horror-based TV movie early in the evening on a Saturday, and I can remember watching this one at the time

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Stuff with the LC comm. Quite informative about Cohen's methods whilst filming.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Devil's Rain. 1975.

A satanic cult leader burned at the stake 300 years ago returns to find a family who have the book of souls he requires to fulfill his destiny of bringing hell on earth.

This was a strange one, it starts off with The Preston Family of Ma and Pa and their son Mark played by William Shatner panicking about Corbis played by Ernest Borgnine and a amulet that can protect him. He goes out and stuff happens and his mother is nowhere to be seen, Pa Preston strung, he goes to Corbis and weird shit happens then goes to Tom Preston played by Tom Skerritt and his wife Julie who has visions and half way through things are told in a vision/flashback.

This is basically low budget which was funded by a mob and the director Robert Fuest had two makes to make it, give the guy a chance and it could have been decent which is why it's on Roger Ebert's hated list, does this guy like anything? it's decently paced, can't get atmospheric at times and obviously stunt performers lacking or they went for one who can make falling down the stairs laughable. Not sure if anyone has seen it but I enjoyed it.

Attachment 236424
I was going to watch this myself last night but instead opted for Robert Hartford Davis' Corruption.

I think Severin brought it out on blu at some stage but i have the dvd from Dark Sky Films which is excellent quality all round.
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A know it was mauled at release and nearly bankrupt George Lucas , but I've always enjoyed it, it's so silly and fun, one of the best marvel films made, think it's actually the first film based on a marvel character, that wasn't a tv movie. The 4K release looks really nice, with good level of details and colours.

Now watching, Which is my first time watching.

Old 23rd September 2021, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lucky Ghost. 1942. (aka Lady Luck)

Two friends down on their luck win a the jackpot in a game of dice and wind up at a sanitarium that's used as a illegal gambling den and have to contend with beautiful women, jealous gangsters and ghosts.

This one does start off a bit slow with the two friends played by Mantan Moreland and F.E. Miller then build up to a good comedy horror with a talking skeleton. The film does raise a eye brow with Moreland gambling and trying to cheat and steal but it's all in good humour with some good realistic settings of the graveyard and the inside of the sanitarium.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cry Of The Werewolf. 1944

Celeste, a daughter of a famed New Orleans gypsy woman carries a secret, she can turn into a werewolf and tries to protect the family secret.

I can't recall seeing this, three years earlier Larry Talbot graced the screens with the great acting by Lon Chaney Jr, here Nina Foch takes the lead as the young Princess Celeste who kills to protect the family name and secret. This was very dark, atmospheric and has it's good tense moments, at 63 minutes this was enjoyable even though one or two bits seem to drag, one i'm happy to watch again.

220px-Cry_of_the_werewolf_poster.jpg
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Respect

Biopic of Aretha Franklin detailing her life from Childhood to becoming one of the legendry Singers of all time. Jennifer Hudson and Forest Whitiker star with Marc Maron and Marlon Waynes co-staring. I found it informative as I didn't know too much about her back story however I did find it a bit too long for my liking.

Boys Next Door

Charlie Sheen in a early role in which he and his friend go on a rampage over the weekend. Interesting and entertaining Film with the opening credits being some of the strongest I've seen in a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (8.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bnd.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th September 2021, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Living Ghost. 1942.

Retired detective Nick Trayne is called out when a rich banker is kidnapped only to turn up in a zombie like state and goes to find the ones responsible.

This was a odd ball movie, the first part does have its comical witty sense of humour with some funny exchanges between the stars and when the body re-appears some part seem to drag on a bit, but does have it's good plot line twists. James Dunn has had a good career in film and television but he he is one of those actors who you either hate or love in some of the things he has done, enjoyable enough but not the best who dunnit flick.

220px-The_Living_Ghost.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!