Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2021, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Have too say at nearly 3 hours was expecting this too be quite slow burning and maybe a little boring, but it was surprisingly fast paced ,the earth is slowly dying but a man is giving a chance to save his family and the human race , when a worm hole is discovered orbiting Saturn. Well acted and directed with some great effects, reminded me 2001 in someways. A mixture of space a d time travel with the central theme of the importance of family.

Enjoyable if not great little tale of a group of FBI agents that are transporting a prisoner and come under attack from a group zombie convicts that have the unique ability to travel in/trough concrete.

Now watching , which will be the last horror I'll watching until October marathon.

Old 24th September 2021, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Where did you get Route 666 from Trebor? not seen that little number for a few years
Old 24th September 2021, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Where did you get Route 666 from Trebor? not seen that little number for a few years
It's on Amazon prime movies
Old 24th September 2021, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I picked it up on dvd cheap a few years ago. Thought it was terrible.

Don't the ghosts come out of the road or something?
Old 24th September 2021, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I picked it up on dvd cheap a few years ago. Thought it was terrible.

Don't the ghosts come out of the road or something?
If I remember it...I think they do, old prisoners that haunt the road
Old 24th September 2021, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Now watching , which will be the last horror I'll watching until October marathon.
I'm at that stage too. I've really tried to not watch much horror this month but have been a bit unsuccessful.

I'll try and make sure i don't watch any Sunday to Thursday. Can't really say about tonight and Saturday.

I know if i can hold off until Friday Oct 1st i'll be desperate to watch horror then sit there looking at the to-watch pile for hours trying to decide what to watch.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 24th September 2021, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm at that stage too. I've really tried to not watch much horror this month but have been a bit unsuccessful.

I'll try and make sure i don't watch any Sunday to Thursday. Can't really say about tonight and Saturday.

I know if i can hold off until Friday Oct 1st i'll be desperate to watch horror then sit there looking at the to-watch pile for hours trying to decide what to watch.
Still be a lot bloody quicker than trying to find something on streaming sites like Netflix, shudder, prime etc.
Old 25th September 2021, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE SOUND OF VIOLENCE – An experimental musician with powers of unusual synaesthesia gets into brutality in a big way when the sounds of it fuel her visions and give her weird compositions a certain edge… well, there is definite intrigue in the concept! Boneheaded, audacious and nasty, TSOV looks and feels like a true latter day exploitation flick for its better part, but unfortunately it does lose something along the way. A slight bagginess of tone creeps in and it doesn’t quite go for the jugular in the way I wanted. Petty gripes maybe, I just wanted it to do more of what it does, and its handful of crazed set pieces, no doubt its raison d’etre, are uniquely satisfying when they arrive – who could argue with the scene in which a harp is rigged to perform as an instrument of torture at an exhibition? Argento couldn’t top the idea (although he’d probably film it better). Worth checking out, and a re-watch from me at some point.

IN A GLASS CAGE – Agusti Villaronga’s journey into the dark night of the soul, and not something that you would describe as anything other than ‘a grim watch’. It’s a treatise on the mechanics of abusive relationships that centres on a former Nazi experimenter, now confined to an iron lung following a suicide attempt, who makes a pact with his intense new support worker. IAGC takes on some dark themes and shows us a few hard-to-watch images, but then strangely wraps all this awfulness in such heightened visual confectionery that you wonder whether it’s really more interested in capturing the exquisite sight of a lush scarlet cape fluttering down a darkened stairwell (for example) than the profound dissection it otherwise seems to want to undertake. But, a spiritual emetic in the vein of ‘Salo’, and, well, ‘harrowing’.

THE BORROWER – John McNaughton’s a director who’s never quite got his due. This is a stark switch away from the grind of ‘Henry’, and almost seems a little unlikely at first, being ostensibly agreeable nineties schlock about an alien sentenced to life on earth as punishment for undisclosed extra-terrestrial transgressions. Alien guy is not very friendly, and his schtick involves him decapitating his victims so that he can ‘wear’ their heads as his own. ‘The Borrower’ rises above the clunkiness of its period of genre filmmaking by demonstrating a sharpness of wit and some wry social commentary, plus there is a kind of lean, sparse feel to it, and an eccentricity. There’s also a few dabs of prosthetics and gore here and there, not too many, but what it shows is pleasing nonetheless and hooks into my era-specific nostalgia. Overlooked and available for rediscovery courtesy of the newish blu-ray.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always ...

Currently trawling through Alantutorial myself, so IAGC would be light relief at the moment ahem
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2021, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
As always ...

Currently trawling through Alantutorial myself, so IAGC would be light relief at the moment ahem
Ha ha, Resnick rules! Found 'This House..." genuinely quite creepy myself.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!