Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2021, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wages Of Fear is worth the wait folks.

Ahem

Free Guy (2021, Shawn Levy)

Mildly diverting nonsense. Ever felt sad after killing NPCs? This is the movie for you then. Literally about self actualization, this had me laughing from the start. Much like Old

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th September 2021, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's a fully loaded Blu from a 4K restoration from the BFI in the UK.
Well, I guess I'll be buying it for the third time before the year is out!
Old 26th September 2021, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Prey. 2018.

Chinese police officer Xin undercover in a mob ring gets arrested and thrown in jail. The warden and his friends decide to release some prisoners into the jungle and hunt them for sport.

A corrupt prison warden, sadistic people with guns and prisoners used for sport, i'm pretty sure there was a film made like that before...that's right Turkey Shoot. I know the Japanese can go over board with their death scenes but this was mild compared to other films they have brought us. Gu Shangwei plays Xin in his first role is not bad for a lead actor, there is some decent fights but not OTT, go into this with a open mind.

Attachment 236481
Does this have a UK release?
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 26th September 2021, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Does this have a UK release?
I found it on Shudder, its on Amazon prime aswell
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th September 2021, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good bullwhip at your side, kid.”

A film that for me improves with age. Whilst the final forty minutes stretch belief and credibility a little, the first two thirds are as exciting, funny and thrilling as you'll get in 21st century cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Yh2PGXpvL._AC_.jpg (28.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 27th September 2021, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran

I only watched that one for the first time this year, with all the crap it gets, I actually really enjoyed it, yeah some of the CGI is terrible but it's still high octane thrilling action like the other three! Even Shia isn't as bad as people make out. Yeah I liked it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th September 2021, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Arcadia (2017)

I'm not sure exactly what i thought of this 'new' film that plays like a strange folk horror olde school look at life in Britain. It felt to me like a sister film to Requiem for a Village (1975) in the way it explored the magic, madness and general wyrdness of our green and pleasant land.

Where this differs though is in it's construction. It isn't a film and has no central narrative. This English exploration, directed by Paul Wright with musical arrangements by Portishead's Adrian Utley and Will Gregory of Goldfrapp, is basically clips from the BFI's archives of more than 100 years of Britain on film. Some of the material is ropey as hell others beautiful in their high definition, linked purely by title cards as were the norm in the silent era.

The images on show together with the music make for a genuinely hallucinatory experience and proves quite thought provoking at a time when many would want us to forget and ignore our past. We get ancient rituals (Legend of the Witches), folk dancing, punk gigs, raves, flowers, stone circles, crops, horses, nudity (full frontal both male and female), wildlife, ale, industrial machinery, village greens, maypoles... you get the idea.

It made for a heady delight and an assault on the senses and i drank way too much Highland Park when i watched it in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71xR27nGTZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (90.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th September 2021, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Humpty Dumpty. 2021.

Wendy is in early stages of dementia, her two daughtrs take her to the family country home, where she comes across a old doll that seems to have a life of it's own.

I knew by the title this was gonna be bad but didn't think it would be that bad
this sums it up of a hour and half of my life wasted completely

A doll that looks about a foot tall some how seems taller when it's not being carried, blood splattered about...waste of good ketchup, acting seems a bit delicate with the subject of what Wendy is suffering respect for that. But it's the added in plot twist that messed it up. Always give a film a chance even if it's independent, think I may appreciate it more either drunk or on a acid trip.

1b40d7327fc88e604dbfd61f64a205beaa71976f8d8ab4d9b83f186bb26faef5._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_SX329_.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mEdrGc.jpg (10.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 28th September 2021, 09:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Heroin Busters (1977)

Enzo G. Castellari's pacy crime drama sees Fabio Testi undercover trying to stop a drugs ring whilst getting not too much help from David Hemmings.

Castellari has always been good at action and he shows it here with a terrific final showdown utilising motorbikes and light aircraft whilst Goblin provide a highly enjoyable score.

All that let's the film down is a lack of characterisation as Testi is too often on his own and we aren't really provided with enough quality character traits to actually become involved with events.

Damn! That's a shit write up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-La_via_della_droga.jpg (25.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 28th September 2021, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Heroin Busters (1977)

Enzo G. Castellari's pacy crime drama sees Fabio Testi undercover trying to stop a drugs ring whilst getting not too much help from David Hemmings.

Castellari has always been good at action and he shows it here with a terrific final showdown utilising motorbikes and light aircraft whilst Goblin provide a highly enjoyable score.

All that let's the film down is a lack of characterisation as Testi is too often on his own and we aren't really provided with enough quality character traits to actually become involved with events.

Damn! That's a shit write up.

I have never seen this but always thought will I or won't I, if the character build up is lack then maybe I can skip by it

Like this? Share it using the links below!