Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2021, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Easily the worst marvel movie by far, just too many character's , disjointed and boring could of easily been 45 minutes shorter and compared too Dune the special effects just look cheap.

Some amazing fight and action scenes ,this time Hunt is sent too hunt down a rogue agent who has stolen a deadly virus . Things get complicated when both Hunt and the Bad guy are after the same woman. This does feel more like a Bond movie than mission impossible, which is not a bad thing. What is it with John Woo and Doves flying in slowmo?

A classic about British intuition and courage . It's a film of two parts ,the first part the invention and building of the bomb and actual attack of the dams itself.

The 4k release looks stunning and as said a classic with a classic score even with that one scene which leaves you thinking WTF he didnt just say that!

But that should not stop anyone enjoying this movie.

Now watching .

Old 14th November 2021, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Study In Scarlet. 1933.

A secret society in London led by solicitor Thaddeus Merrydew, who collects assets from his members who have died so they can be passed around. When the group members begin to die, Sherlock Holmes is called to investigate.

For the era of it's time this was interesting and has a good solid cast of Reginald Owen and Warburton Gamble as the sleuths of Baker Street and Alan Mowbray as Inspector Lastrade. The makers bought the rights to the name only and not the actual plot to Arthur Conan Doyle's original story so if you have read the story and not seen this one or vice versa you may be disappointed.

A_Study_in_Scarlet_%281933_film%29.jpg
Old 14th November 2021, 09:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Silence of the Lambs again last night, first time in over 5 years or so. Still an absolutely cracking thriller with top turns from Jodie and Hopkins (I still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that Buffalo Bill is the cuddly cop from Monk lol) and keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Bona fide classic. Dare I say they don't make 'em like this anymore?
Old 14th November 2021, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw The Silence of the Lambs again last night, first time in over 5 years or so. Still an absolutely cracking thriller with top turns from Jodie and Hopkins (I still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that Buffalo Bill is the cuddly cop from Monk lol) and keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Bona fide classic. Dare I say they don't make 'em like this anymore?
Classic, but once you see that dance scene it can never be unseen !
Demoncrat, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 14th November 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The rest of the audience started laughing at that bit when I went to see it. Whether twas nervous tension or whatever, I did think "Why are they laughing? This guy is a flipping monster" ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th November 2021, 12:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini. 1966.

A corpse has 24 hours to do a good deed before going into heaven, his heirs are on their way to the house for the reading of the will along with his greedy lawyer.

I will admit this may not be the best movie ever but certainly a laugh and more parody musical. Boris Korloff plays the corpse who has to do a good deed but cannot leave the crypt. Basil Rathbone plays the lawyer who wants the hidden money for himself and tries to find it by playing out that the house is haunted. Quinn O'Hara has always looked good but even better doing a dance in a bikini as well as some of the other female cast members dancing about with very little on.

4_the-ghost-in-the-invisible-bikini-half-sheet-1966.jpg
Old 15th November 2021, 08:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Desperation Rising (1989, Jason Holt)

From the same year as Things ... comes this ... thing.
Director's debut!
It's about .... 82 minutes!!
It's probably my film of the year, as I certainly haven't seen anything like this in a while, to say the least.
SOV, so be warned .... Dune it isn't (even if I enjoyed it more cough, bad demon, 10 demerits!! )
Ostensibly a "gang" flick, if, say Stan Brakhage had made it . If you know that name, this will help orientate ye along this path. Safe travels!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th November 2021, 10:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Classic, but once you see that dance scene it can never be unseen !
Once you have replicated that scene at home in front of the mirror your life will never be the same

Asking for a friend
Old 15th November 2021, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monstrosity. 1963. (aka The Atomic Brain)

A rich old woman plans to have her brain implanted in to the body of a young woman with help of a scientist.

Here we have another mad idealistic scientist wanting to defy the laws of god and nature and will certainly never get a Nobel prize or any academy award for his acting. Yeah the plot is daft that it put's Frankenstein to deep shame, I bet this film did look good on paper and that's probably where it should have stayed, the studio must have invested in very little money in to this film as they went bankrupt halfway through the film. It does have the slight humour in it but it is not the best.

MV5BMDliM2I3MTgtNjRiNS00MjE3LThiM2MtNDkxZWFmOGI4ZWE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_QL75_UX190_.jpg
Old 15th November 2021, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An amazing and emotional film, after the d day landing a platoon is sent too find private Ryan who is the last surviving son of his family , the rest have been killed in combat. The landing scenes are spectacle and horrifying and it's was supposedly so realistic it brought tears to the eyes of veterans who watched it. The film brings up the question of the point of war and is one life Ryan's worth that of the squad. A

The film looks amazing in 4k and the Atmos soundtrack is absolutely stunning in the landing, with deafening explosions and bullets whizzing around

We also have lots of familiar faces in small roles with the likes of.

Ted Danson
Van Diesel
Paul Giamatti
Dennis Farina
Andrew Scott
Nathan Fillion
Bryan Cranston

The film opens with Hunt tied too a chair and finding out he is now married , a madman has his wife whom he kills as he is looking for something called the rabbits foot, the film then goes back in time too see how we got too this point.

Another enjoyable movie with some great action and stunts , love or loathe him you have to give Cruise his due as he did most of his own stunts in these films.

Last edited by trebor8273; 15th November 2021 at 09:27 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!