All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179599Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2021, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Duly noted D!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st November 2021, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like others will give no spoilers it's far superior too the remake which as gag said isn't hard, it might be a little slow in places and did find Finn Wolfhard character a little annoying and useless but his sister was brilliant and she looked and acted like you of expect her grandfather would at that age.

Lots of Easter eggs too the first movie , a very fun family adventure at times feels like a 80s Spielberg. For better or worse there is a lot of fan service , it's is a film made For the fans but at it's heart it's wonderful and emotional tribute to the late Harold Ramis.

It is strange that most of the reviews that hate this or those who loved the remake so make of that what you will. Well worth a watch for fans of the first two, be interesting to see what they do with the franchise, if the showing I went too which was packed can see it make a lot of money. This is a true Ghostbusters film
Old 21st November 2021, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bat Whispers. 1930.

A criminal known as "The Bat" terrorizes the occupants at a secluded mansion.

A old dark houses in the middle of nowhere, a small group of people gathering and what can go wrong, a criminal using acrobatic skills that's what can go wrong. A nice little murder mystery with some psychological mixed in with this thriller, makes it a nice little number to watch with some good acting. Maude Eburne screeching at times can be annoying but has a nice added twist to the end with Chester Morris and the identity of The bat.

MV5BMTUwMjg3NDc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk4ODQwMjE@._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,6,190,281_.jpg
Old 21st November 2021, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Not funny. Not scary. Inoffensive. Quite unremarkable.

It had a sort of lighthearted music playing all the way through the film, and the ‘farm town’ location gave the film a warm orange glow during daytime scenes - think of something like National Lampoon’s Vacation. But because it’s a kid’s film it gave it the vibe of a kind of made-for-tv Disney movie from the 70s/80s. Something cheap and nostalgic that they’d show on tv after lunch on a bank holiday.

It’s funny reading the other reviews already posted to this thread - I *did* enjoy Answer The Call. To me, Answer the Call felt fresh. The cast were the contemporary SNL stars, just as the cast of the original were. The humour was modern. But I also love the original movies too. I love The Blues Brothers (prefer it over ghostbusters, actually), but I’ve never given Blues Brothers 2000 the time of day. I suppose some films have their own place in our hearts, and it’s hard to accept anything we see as a substitute or alternative - something we see as a threat to the memories of the good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st November 2021, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Not funny. Not scary. Inoffensive. Quite unremarkable.

It had a sort of lighthearted music playing all the way through the film, and the ‘farm town’ location gave the film a warm orange glow during daytime scenes - think of something like National Lampoon’s Vacation. But because it’s a kid’s film it gave it the vibe of a kind of made-for-tv Disney movie from the 70s/80s. Something cheap and nostalgic that they’d show on tv after lunch on a bank holiday.

It’s funny reading the other reviews already posted to this thread - I *did* enjoy Answer The Call. To me, Answer the Call felt fresh. The cast were the contemporary SNL stars, just as the cast of the original were. The humour was modern. But I also love the original movies too. I love The Blues Brothers (prefer it over ghostbusters, actually), but I’ve never given Blues Brothers 2000 the time of day. I suppose some films have their own place in our hearts, and it’s hard to accept anything we see as a substitute or alternative - something we see as a threat to the memories of the good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think part of the problem lies with the fact when they reboot or sequel a film that’s years old, leaving a gap of 25 30 yrs , if gap was shorter like 6 / 7 yrs guess wouldn’t be as bad, but their just trying to revive nostalgia, like when they try bringing things back like Rubik cube.
Old 21st November 2021, 11:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Like others will give no spoilers it's far superior too the remake which as gag said isn't hard, it might be a little slow in places and did find Finn Wolfhard character a little annoying and useless but his sister was brilliant and she looked and acted like you of expect her grandfather would at that age.

Lots of Easter eggs too the first movie , a very fun family adventure at times feels like a 80s Spielberg. For better or worse there is a lot of fan service , it's is a film made For the fans but at it's heart it's wonderful and emotional tribute to the late Harold Ramis.

It is strange that most of the reviews that hate this or those who loved the remake so make of that what you will. Well worth a watch for fans of the first two, be interesting to see what they do with the franchise, if the showing I went too which was packed can see it make a lot of money. This is a true Ghostbusters film
Thursdays was the first day showing of ghostbusters and they had it on 3 4 screens, when I went there was only roughly about 20 ppl, probably had more at the other times.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devils Hand. 1961.

A man has visions of a woman, when he finally meets her, he finds out she is part of a satanic cult.

This was a strange one, it just seems to be more psychological, even from the plot there is practices of their ceremonies but nothing evil, a cult leader wondering about trying to look good in a cloak, a beating of a bongo drum that I think was to symbolize voodoo and nothing else seems to come from it. For a old school horror fan I thought this would be up my street, it seemed to have something good but it just seemed to fall flat towards the end.

the-devils-hand-movie-poster-1961-1020372422.jpg
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I think part of the problem lies with the fact when they reboot or sequel a film that’s years old, leaving a gap of 25 30 yrs , if gap was shorter like 6 / 7 yrs guess wouldn’t be as bad, but their just trying to revive nostalgia, like when they try bringing things back like Rubik cube.
Yeah, it just all feels too little, too late. A 3rd movie should have come along in the early 90s, not 2021. I find it all a bit depressing, to be honest.
Think of something new.
gag likes this.
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Yeah, it just all feels too little, too late. A 3rd movie should have come along in the early 90s, not 2021. I find it all a bit depressing, to be honest.
Think of something new.
The thing is let’s be honest vast majority of films for years have been,

Remakes,
Prequels,
Spin-off,
Reboots,
Universe,
Tv series based off,
Sequels,

Etc etc.

It’s as if they are struggling to make something new,
And when they do ppl just moan about the film, eg

Us,
Get out,
Midsommar, amount people complaining it’s a remake of a wicker man, Gee give us a break, how many films are similar to Wickerman? And if that’s the case then you practically compare over 90% of films to something else.
Just no pleasing some people.

There is quite a few out there that don’t fit in the above category, just some don’t get pushed upfront and you have to dig deep and find them,

A couple I liked were Eden lake, it didn’t have a happy ending and wasn’t predictable and didn’t become a revenge movie and was slightly different from the vast majority of these style of films,
I enjoyed In fabric,
Lots of decent films like,
Vvitch,
The lighthouse
Fanny lye delivered
Blackcoats daughter
And series on Netflix midnight mass.

The only problem with these is again people complaining the films are too slow. there’s no pleasing some people.

Like or dislike these films make’s a refreshing change for something that not marvel and dc related that’s dominated the films industry for years.

Last edited by gag; 22nd November 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Midsommar may be pretty to look at, but it's a tonal minefield and quite frankly hilarity enducing on a grand level.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!