Old 13th December 2021, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
New York Ninja (1984/2021)

PS I love the band in Doom Asylum
You can barely hear them. They don't seem to be making any sounds.
Old 13th December 2021, 08:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 12th

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (1971)

A cracking giallo set in Dublin starring Luigi Pistilli as a detective investigating the murder of a woman that could have connections with the Swiss consulate.

Apparently director Ricardo Freda wanted Roger Moore as his lead but at the last minute he got Pistilli. A shame really as Pistilli is very good as a Dublin cop albeit with dubbed Irish accent and it's always fun to watch Anton Diffring in films like this, especially when it became knowledge that he had no idea what the story was about when he filmed the Doctor Who adventure Silver Nemesis in 1988. If he had no idea what that was about God knows what he made of The Iguana With the Tongue of Fire.

Freda's film is bewildering from the off. Everybody is pretty much a red herring especially Diffring's ambassador, his family and staff. Watching i was thinking everybody was the killer, in fact the one person i didn't suspect logically turned out to be the murderer who carried out savage cut throat razor attacks. It didn't help that the initial kill was done by someone in sunglasses, naturally Freda proceeded to give every shifty character shades throughout the film, even Pistilli's detective. Even more of a mind f*ck was that everyone seemed to own a cut throat razor too.

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire isn't a top level giallo but i thought it was thoroughly entertaining with some gorily sadistic murders not to mention Dagmar Lassander spicing things up.

½ / 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L'iguana_dalla_lingua_di_fuoco_poster.jpg (24.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th December 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 13th

Black Christmas (1974)

A film i'm slowly warming to although i still don't think it the classic that many fans do.

Bob Clark's film about the girls at a sorority house terrorized by a maniac, firstly through obscene phone calls and then murder. What's different about this proto slasher is that the killer is actually hiding in the attic so as well as establishing a tone and mood for the forthcoming slasher phenomenon it also sets a precedent for the lesser filmed hider in the house genre.

Although the killer's identity is never determined we soon discover that they are in the sorority house which contributes immensely to the tension, however the films middle third veers away from the thrills to concentrate on sheriff John Saxon and his deputies searching the local area for what they believe is one of the madman's victims and there's a lot of comedy which detracts from the seriousness of the film itself.

Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are excellent as sorority sisters and give what could be stereotypical final girls some much needed screen presence.

/ 5
Old 14th December 2021, 11:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)

The second of Columbia Pictures three Sinbad films is a thoroughly entertaining affair with some stunning Dynarama stop motion from Ray Harryhausen in bringing the six armed statue of the Goddess Kali to sword wielding life.

John Phillip Law is decent as Sinbad, whilst Tom Baker chews whole mountainsides as the sorcerer Koura, meanwhile Caroline Munro looks pretty but is devoid of acting talent. It's also fun seeing Martin Shaw in an earlyish role as Sinbad's right hand man, Rachid.

Watching it on Indicator's beautiful Blu-ray in 2021 it's clear how much of an influence this film was on George Lucas and Steven Spielberg as so many ideas in it have been seen again in their Indiana Jones movies.
Old 15th December 2021, 12:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Black Christmas (1974)

A film i'm slowly warming to although i still don't think it the classic that many fans do.

Bob Clark's film about the girls at a sorority house terrorized by a maniac, firstly through obscene phone calls and then murder. What's different about this proto slasher is that the killer is actually hiding in the attic so as well as establishing a tone and mood for the forthcoming slasher phenomenon it also sets a precedent for the lesser filmed hider in the house genre.

Although the killer's identity is never determined we soon discover that they are in the sorority house which contributes immensely to the tension, however the films middle third veers away from the thrills to concentrate on sheriff John Saxon and his deputies searching the local area for what they believe is one of the madman's victims and there's a lot of comedy which detracts from the seriousness of the film itself.

Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are excellent as sorority sisters and give what could be stereotypical final girls some much needed screen presence.

/ 5
I really like Black Christmas but always get a bit annoyed with the Olivia Hussey character. Did she really have to tell her boyfriend that she was pregnant and getting an abortion just before his big piano exam?
Old 15th December 2021, 12:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)

The second of Columbia Pictures three Sinbad films is a thoroughly entertaining affair with some stunning Dynarama stop motion from Ray Harryhausen in bringing the six armed statue of the Goddess Kali to sword wielding life.

John Phillip Law is decent as Sinbad, whilst Tom Baker chews whole mountainsides as the sorcerer Koura, meanwhile Caroline Munro looks pretty but is devoid of acting talent. It's also fun seeing Martin Shaw in an earlyish role as Sinbad's right hand man, Rachid.

Watching it on Indicator's beautiful Blu-ray in 2021 it's clear how much of an influence this film was on George Lucas and Steven Spielberg as so many ideas in it have been seen again in their Indiana Jones movies.
Love sinbad films and stuff like jason and the Argonauts .
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 15th December 2021, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Spider-Man: No Way Home

Following on from the previous Movie which sees Peter Parker deal with the aftermath of his identity being revealed. I've have stated previously that I was having Marvel fatigue but I really enjoyed this as it was a continuation of a story rather than a origin story like the previous 3 Marvel Movie releases (Black Widow, Shang-Chi & Eternals)

SPOILER:
What I also liked was the fact that they introduced the Bad Guys from the other versions of Spider-Man and the appearances of Maguire and Garfield. Not sure if it was the intention but I felt that it's a stroke of genius to make those Movies relevant. Also you have an appearance from Matt Murdoch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smnwh.jpg (15.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th December 2021, 11:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Following on from the previous Movie which sees Peter Parker deal with the aftermath of his identity being revealed. I've have stated previously that I was having Marvel fatigue but I really enjoyed this as it was a continuation of a story rather than a origin story like the previous 3 Marvel Movie releases (Black Widow, Shang-Chi & Eternals)

SPOILER:
What I also liked was the fact that they introduced the Bad Guys from the other versions of Spider-Man and the appearances of Maguire and Garfield. Not sure if it was the intention but I felt that it's a stroke of genius to make those Movies relevant. Also you have an appearance from Matt Murdoch.
Murdoch eh? Did he also look a bit like Batman?
Old 16th December 2021, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Withnail and I (1987)

A glorious rites of passage tale about two out of luck (and booze) actors who decamp from London to a dilapidated cottage in the Lake District where they struggle to survive the weather, a local poacher, a rather randy bull and Withnail's lecherous Uncle Monty.

As well as the superb Richard E Grant (Withnail) and Paul McGann (I), credit definitely where it's due to writer / director Bruce Robinson who based the film on his own exploits in sixties Camden Town.

Arrow's Blu-ray is a massive improvement over their older dvd.

The Italian Job (1969)

Classic British crime caper in which Michael Caine and his band of cons steal a haul of gold bullion on the streets of Turin.

Effortlessly watchable, endlessly quotable, charming, funny, featuring possibly the greatest car sequence in the history of cinema, certainly the greatest to feature Mini Cooper's. The Italian Job is a film that gets better with every sitting.

Loved seeing it on Blu-ray for the first time. The high definition image gives those mountains glorious clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Withnail_and_i_poster.jpg (23.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (23.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th December 2021, 07:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Black Christmas (1974)

/ 5
It's a right creepy bastard of a film though Dem.
You can almost FEEL the cold coming through your screen.

In the sense of a traditional horror pic,I rate it as a seasonal classic.

However,I MUCH prefer the tongue in cheek and sheer ourageousness of DON'T OPEN 'TILL CHRISTMAS and SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!