Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2022, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the original Jurassic Park films , the effects still hold up well and the 4k release looks great. The first is still the best but they did get worse as they went on the second was good but the third was just ok and not hard too see why they didn't make any more for years .

I enjoyed this more than I remembered , while it's more Adam West than Michael Keaton was still enjoyable even with the campness we still have some dark scenes with Bruce's childhood , wasn't keen on Jones portrayal of Two-Face just too OTT and not as sinister as he should be, but Carrey was good.

Well Clooney did ( nearly) what Joker, Penguin, Poison Ivy and Riddler could not and killed off Batman.

Terrible casting of Clooney and just too camp and silly at times , Clooney comes off as a poor man's action hero with all the poor wisecracks etc. I did enjoy the Alfred back story even if they changed batgirl from being Gordon's daughter too Alfred neice.
L
Now watching .
Old 17th January 2022, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I had a double bill of 28 Days Later... (2002) and 28 Weeks Later (2007) on Blu-ray last night.

The first film looks terrible and no better than the dvd (I compared) due to the way Danny Boyle shot it digitally for a (crap) documentary feel. However it remains a tense, claustrophobic experience, even if it is simply a remake of the BBC's Day of the Triffids (1981). Excellent performances all round from Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston and Brendan Gleeson.

28 Weeks Later fares much better in the HD stakes, looking like a proper film even if some of the gorilla style film making elements remain. Thankfully following the catastrophic events of the first film where a pandemic either wipes out most of the UK's population or turns them into rage induced infected mutants. Thankfully the Americans (Including Jeremy Renner (Playing a sniper no less) and Rose Byrne turn up to save the day creating a safe zone in London for those not infected. So obviously nothing will go wrong.

Both are excellent films but the most pleasure i gained was hearing the pulsing theme music from John Murphy, particularly in the second film where it features heavily. I'd forgotten it, but it's brilliant and has definitely been used many times since.

Old 17th January 2022, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I had a double bill of 28 Days Later... (2002) and 28 Weeks Later (2007) on Blu-ray last night.

The first film looks terrible and no better than the dvd (I compared) due to the way Danny Boyle shot it digitally for a (crap) documentary feel. However it remains a tense, claustrophobic experience, even if it is simply a remake of the BBC's Day of the Triffids (1981). Excellent performances all round from Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston and Brendan Gleeson.

28 Weeks Later fares much better in the HD stakes, looking like a proper film even if some of the gorilla style film making elements remain. Thankfully following the catastrophic events of the first film where a pandemic either wipes out most of the UK's population or turns them into rage induced infected mutants. Thankfully the Americans (Including Jeremy Renner (Playing a sniper no less) and Rose Byrne turn up to save the day creating a safe zone in London for those not infected. So obviously nothing will go wrong.

Both are excellent films but the most pleasure i gained was hearing the pulsing theme music from John Murphy, particularly in the second film where it features heavily. I'd forgotten it, but it's brilliant and has definitely been used many times since.

When you see rats running from something you know some shit is heading your way. The second one was more tense with the theme added in when they've lost control, Idris Elba saying that was like "oh shit".
Old 17th January 2022, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mesa Of Lost Women. 1953.

Imagine Uncle fester as a mad scientist...that happens in this film, Jackie Coogan plays a scientist injecting females with a serum to transform to turn them into a superhuman race and using spider venom. This is one I can't really take seriously as it seems to be all over the place and rushed with the running time but Tandra Quinn as Tarantella does do a nice sultry dance.

5104FPTMM9L._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 17th January 2022, 06:55 PM
Cultist

Quote:

The beginning scene of 28 weeks... is excellent, totally captures that situation where the instinct to 'fight or flight' happens, and yep that theme that John Murphy came up with is compulsive and haunting.
Old 18th January 2022, 12:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Crow. 1993.

Sadly Brandon Lee's last film, mixes with Gothic and supernatural revenge, rock star comes back from the dead to get revenge on the men who killed him and his girlfriend one by one. Ernie Hudson plays the copper who was on the case and a year later thinks he has seen a ghost. Alex Proyas was ables to bring a good written screenplay to life but must have had a tough time after the tragedy, but did we need the sequels? City of Angels was ok but the other two and a series, were they necessary???

wF2Tnf0bdYrzCKVbWh0mFwPJS6k.jpg
Old 18th January 2022, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict

I have to I can barely remember 28 Weeks Later. I vaguely recall Robert Carlyle chasing someone around in the dark.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 18th January 2022, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Watched the original Jurassic Park films , the effects still hold up well and the 4k release looks great. The first is still the best but they did get worse as they went on the second was good but the third was just ok and not hard too see why they didn't make any more for years .

I enjoyed this more than I remembered , while it's more Adam West than Michael Keaton was still enjoyable even with the campness we still have some dark scenes with Bruce's childhood , wasn't keen on Jones portrayal of Two-Face just too OTT and not as sinister as he should be, but Carrey was good.

Well Clooney did ( nearly) what Joker, Penguin, Poison Ivy and Riddler could not and killed off Batman.

Terrible casting of Clooney and just too camp and silly at times , Clooney comes off as a poor man's action hero with all the poor wisecracks etc. I did enjoy the Alfred back story even if they changed batgirl from being Gordon's daughter too Alfred neice.
L
Now watching .
I think that some people take The Batman Films way too seriously and that Forever and Batman & Robin are fun Films. Also in 1995, it was the obvious choice that Jim Carrey would play The Riddler.

TBH, I don't really fancy The new Batman Film that stars Robert Pattinson. The Trailer didn't do anything for me.
Old 18th January 2022, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

In 2022, that is quite a cast in 28 Weeks Later. Don't think that if it was made now that they would get them.
Old 18th January 2022, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Rolling Vengeance

80's Film which sees the tale of some locals terrorizing a family until The Son has had enough and rigs up a Monster Truck to get revenge. The story has been told many times but it's a classic for a reason and this is really enjoyable.

UK release please

Chopping Mall

Another 80's Film which sees some Robots that are Security for a Mall but malfunction and start killing off some employees that are having a party. A bit outdated but it's still a decent watch.

Thought that this would have shown up on The Vestron Classics Label like in the U.S but not yet.

Kings Man

Really boring Prequel to The Kingsmen Films but it doesn't really seem to be connected until the end and TBH the characters and plot wasn't interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv.jpg (14.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cm.jpg (13.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg km.jpg (8.9 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!