All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2022, 03:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Boy Eats Girl (2005)

Hugely entertaining Irish zombie rom-com with a witty script performed by a charming cast. The humour really works for me in a way many horror comedies fail and it totally engages me. Last night must have been my fifth or sixth viewing.

It's kinda Shaun of the Dead like in that the action takes place in and around typical streets and schools but for me that's where any similarities end, well, other than zombies chowing down on residents of course.

At 80 minutes Boy Eats Girl doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's lively, breezy and fun from first to last and culminates in an outrageous bloodbath involving zombie hordes and a tractor with a hedgerow cutter, as body parts fly through the air in gory delight.

However for all the fun and games there's a strong depiction of suicide early on that some may find upsetting.
Old 17th February 2022, 05:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rituals. 1977.

I thought I would give this film another look at, first viewing was a hit or a miss as it was a stupid badly edited version which for a Hal Holbrook film is disgraceful. It does have rip off feeling from Deliverance but doesn't have anyone making another man squeal like a piggy but does have a man scream out with a bear trap. The film does have a tone of atmosphere as the main group have no idea of the backwoods yet the stalker knows every hide away place and short cuts, this is slowly becoming a appreciative film for me now.

MV5BZDJkYjg5Y2EtZWQ1OC00MzgzLTg2ZDItMjdlZjBjNDY3ZjU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_QL75_UX190_.jpg
Old 17th February 2022, 05:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I thought it was so over rated the first time i saw it. Never bothered to give the Code Red dvd a second watch.

If i remember rightly bugger all happens.
trebor8273, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 17th February 2022, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed a mate Harold & Maude, as he has one of those "1001 films you have to see ..." tomes.
Regardless, who needs an excuse to revisit this charming little tale of two souls finding each other in this crazy, mixed up world.
I suppose I should mention the comedic portrayal of suicide attempts, but since we're all adults here, and the film is 50 years old ffs.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th February 2022, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was so over rated the first time i saw it. Never bothered to give the Code Red dvd a second watch.

If i remember rightly bugger all happens.
I would agree it is overrated but was more the tense atmosphere I enjoyed the most and of course Hal Holbrook.
Old 17th February 2022, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Showed a mate Harold & Maude, as he has one of those "1001 films you have to see ..." tomes.
Regardless, who needs an excuse to revisit this charming little tale of two souls finding each other in this crazy, mixed up world.
I suppose I should mention the comedic portrayal of suicide attempts, but since we're all adults here, and the film is 50 years old ffs.
I wouldn't normally mention a suicide like i did for Boy Eats Girl as it's 'one of those things' that are in movies, i suppose i did because the Irish censors went to town on the film and actually banned it. It basically shows step for step how to hang yourself in your bedroom. An 18 cert over here of course.

Still a wonderfully fun film though.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 17th February 2022, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l400vvv.jpg
WATERSHIP DOWN (1978)

Excellent animated adaptation of Richard Adams novel. Super animation and background paintings with a good music score.
Rated a U cert by the BBFC, they still get complaints about the low certificate being given to such a dark and bloody movie.
I remember seeing this on release and for some reason, at least in the cinema I saw it, the trailers came after the movie had finished! I know there was a trailer for Moonraker but we had to hurry out of the cinema to catch the bus back home.
Old 18th February 2022, 11:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 239118
WATERSHIP DOWN (1978)

Excellent animated adaptation of Richard Adams novel. Super animation and background paintings with a good music score.
Rated a U cert by the BBFC, they still get complaints about the low certificate being given to such a dark and bloody movie.
I remember seeing this on release and for some reason, at least in the cinema I saw it, the trailers came after the movie had finished! I know there was a trailer for Moonraker but we had to hurry out of the cinema to catch the bus back home.
The film that scarred a generation , it's a lot more disturbing than most video nasties!
Old 18th February 2022, 12:32 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched the new Scream film, it was pretty good, not amazing, but not terrible. VERY meta, like in-jokes galore, even to the point of someone watching a YouTube podcast and it's the famous 'Dead Meat' podcast discussing Stab 8 also taking the piss out of 'elevated horror' a term that we all hate haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2022, 12:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched the new Scream film, it was pretty good, not amazing, but not terrible. VERY meta, like in-jokes galore, even to the point of someone watching a YouTube podcast and it's the famous 'Dead Meat' podcast discussing Stab 8 also taking the piss out of 'elevated horror' a term that we all hate haha
Er' what's 'elevated horror'?

Like this? Share it using the links below!