Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of The Demon. 1980.

A anthropologist takes some of his students to the backwoods to investigate a state of killings.

First time seeing this very low budget, bad acting from those alive and those who are being killed by the beast of the woods, yet for some reason I couldn't turn away from it. The deaths are a bit decently done and laughable, this is the film that gave us bigfoot picking up a man in a sleeping bag and practising his hammer throwing or a guy taking a leak and loosing the family jewels. The back story to the killings are split up but are told by the same guy who tries his best to act scared while telling them. something that will be watched again.

81QqFLMY3fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 29th March 2022, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

NOTD I've watched on vhs, dvd etc and this is the best I've seen it look tbh. You'll be watching it again soon methinks ... it's that kind of flick ....

Ahem.

A double double bill this time, same year and Bo Svenson's in both
Purely unintentional you understand ....

The Curse II: The Bite (1989, "Fred Goodwin" ... Franco Prosperi)

Screamingly unconnected to the first one, a couple find there's more to life than saving some mileage along the way.
Quite as crazed as the original for aw that, just in a different way. The Primark Demi Moore and some clod find no respite from the road in this backwater. FX by Screaming Mad George, so you know it's gonna get gloopy.
Recommended.

Beyond The Door III (Jeff Kwitny)

Yes, it's Amok Train
Bo does an accent this time, so form that orderly queue folks! Quite the maddest flick tbh. The dialogue is presented in such a stilted way that it should really have been dedicated to the Stiglitz
A bunch of types take a cheap holiday in other people's misery and pay the dearest price of all. Spectacularily gaudy in the way we love, this had me entertained right up to the end.
Ahem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curse-II-The-Bite-1989-Poster.jpg (33.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ET.jpg (79.6 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th March 2022, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
NOTD I've watched on vhs, dvd etc and this is the best I've seen it look tbh. You'll be watching it again soon methinks ... it's that kind of flick ....

Ahem.
It will be re-watched soon and probably next week
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th March 2022, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat;668886

[B
Beyond The Door III [/B] (Jeff Kwitny)

Yes, it's Amok Train
Bo does an accent this time, so form that orderly queue folks! Quite the maddest flick tbh. The dialogue is presented in such a stilted way that it should really have been dedicated to the Stiglitz
A bunch of types take a cheap holiday in other people's misery and pay the dearest price of all. Spectacularily gaudy in the way we love, this had me entertained right up to the end.
Ahem.
The Shriek Show dvd of this is really good. Nice image quality and an enjoyable 45 minutes or so chat with producer Assonitis. Those Yugoslavian landscapes really give the film something extra don't they?
Old 29th March 2022, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ninth Configuration. 1980.

A castle that is used for a mental asylum for soldiers, psychiatrist Kane lets the inmates act out their fantasies but is unsure what is real and what isn't.

Based on the book by William Peter Blatty, will admit this was a intense read and didn't want to put the book down. Classed as somewhat sequel to The Exorcist, but has no ghost, demons or possession even though Jason Miller makes a appearance as a different character, it does focus on a party guest from the film, the one who Ragan says "your going to die up there before she marks her territory on the carpet.

There is some good acting from Stacey Keach, Scott Wilson, Ed Flanders, Neville Brand, Moses Gunn who comes dressed as a Superhero. This does have a great atmosphere around it, a castle in the middle of nowhere with a thick mist surrounding it. Blatty does his usual while writing a serious movie adds in some comedy that doesn't go over the top and is done a tastefully. Right from the start to the end this was basically almost had me from the edge of the sofa to the floor.

MV5BZDZhMWQxNTktYmM3ZC00OTZiLTkxOWMtYWNjNTNlNWNjNTYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg
Old 29th March 2022, 11:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Shriek Show dvd of this is really good. Nice image quality and an enjoyable 45 minutes or so chat with producer Assonitis. Those Yugoslavian landscapes really give the film something extra don't they?
It is a change from the usual sights certainly. Eerie in places ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th March 2022, 11:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Ninth Configuration. 1980.

A castle that is used for a mental asylum for soldiers, psychiatrist Kane lets the inmates act out their fantasies but is unsure what is real and what isn't.

Based on the book by William Peter Blatty, will admit this was a intense read and didn't want to put the book down. Classed as somewhat sequel to The Exorcist, but has no ghost, demons or possession even though Jason Miller makes a appearance as a different character, it does focus on a party guest from the film, the one who Ragan says "your going to die up there before she marks her territory on the carpet.

There is some good acting from Stacey Keach, Scott Wilson, Ed Flanders, Neville Brand, Moses Gunn who comes dressed as a Superhero. This does have a great atmosphere around it, a castle in the middle of nowhere with a thick mist surrounding it. Blatty does his usual while writing a serious movie adds in some comedy that doesn't go over the top and is done a tastefully. Right from the start to the end this was basically almost had me from the edge of the sofa to the floor.

Attachment 239586
"Hail Caesar!!"

REWATCH.
MrBarlow likes this.

[B]
Old 30th March 2022, 07:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Moonfall (2022, Roland Emmerich)

Well twas this or some Bollywood SF epic

Ro-land returns with a vengeance.
Patrick Wilson sings Toto .... I nearly put it off
Outstripping Don't Look Up for sheer silliness, this tale of doom and gloom takes in yer conspiracy theories and your denial of physical reality in spades. It should look fun on the big screen etc.
A series of contrivances mean that a disgraced astronaut gets a chance to redeem himself in that way that makes you groan and gasp at the same time.

[B]
Old 30th March 2022, 02:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BODY COUNT – I like Euro takes on American slashers, which is what this is. Helmed by no less of a personage than Ruggero Deadato, but you can forget ‘Cannibal Holocaust’, ‘Body Count’ isn’t nasty or intense; it’s fun. Apart from Ruggero, I spotted many other Eurotrash and exploitation ‘names’ on the roll call – David Hess, Mimsy Farmer, Ivan Rassimov, even Charles bloody Napier. The plot – a campsite, a vanful full of pesky kids, various blade-based implements, but then something bad has happened and it’s fifteen years later. David Hess looks hard. The film looks cheap but plays kooky. As with ‘Bloody Moon’, the Euro-element throws in a curveball, weirds the tone, cuts the safety ropes, or at least wears them through them a little. The image of a teddy bear recurs with a sing-song nursery motif, giallo-style. The killer looks monstrous. ‘Body Count’ only ever makes crude moves, but those moves have an air of giddiness about them. There’s unlikely nudity in the world’s skankiest bathroom. This nudity isn’t the most unlikely thing about said bathroom as behind the mirror lurks the spirit of an ancient shaman! Well, it was clearly pointed out that the campsite was built on the site of a Native American burial ground, so OK. ‘Body Count’ rolls along amiably, a bit like a satisfying camping trip. When the inane dialogue flows and people strip inexplicably and awkwardly, it’s given a bit of punch by Claudio Simonetti in ‘Demons’-type mode. It loses something when it gets bogged down in the complexities of David Hess’s dire marriage, but it never wanders too far from slasher baseline. ‘Body Count’, you know the type by now. Someone needs to give us a blu ray.
Old 30th March 2022, 03:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I remember a horribly truncated vhs, so yes a BD of this would be nice
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!