Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179471Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2022, 08:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beach Boys: An American Family (2000, Jeff Bleckner)

Mini series revolving around the Wilson brothers. Focusing on their relationship with their father, this doesn't skip over most things (the drugs, Manson etc) but since Mike Love had a hand in it, it's somewhat slanted cough. Brian apparently hated it, I can sort of see why
Never did see that one where John Cusack played BW, maybe I'll give it a go now ....
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2022, 09:37 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Same, I keep seeing Carlito's Way in CEX and thinking oh that's cheap, but then I remember I thought Scarface was too long and aside from being flashy I didn't really enjoy it. DePalma is great director but I think he's better with Thrillers and when he's trying to be Hitchcock.

That said, I did like The Untouchables
Despite the amount of money I've spent on different releases of it, I don't think Scarface is as good as Carlito's Way, an excellent film. I'm not sure if I'd call it amongst Brian De Palma's best five films; Carrie, Phantom of the Paradise, Mission: Impossible, Blow Out and, aside from Sean Connery is excellent, The Untouchables are all really good.
Old 19th April 2022, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robowar. 1988.

A group of mercenaries are sent to a jungle to rescue prisoners who have been captured and encounter a hostile enemy.

From the Italians we have had knock offs from The Exorcist, Jaws, Terminator, Aliens so why not rip-off Predator, or that's what Bruno Mattei thought. Is it just me or did they also sneak in some dialogue from Predator and almost create their version of Robocop as well. Reb Brown seems to be in the role that Arnie played along with some intentionally funny/goofy moments that I couldn't take seriously yet I still watched it all the way to the end.

006TFA_ROBOWAR_min.jpg
Old 19th April 2022, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Uncle Jack (Tennessee Apple flavour) and I had a great time rewatching this on Blu-ray last night. Easily the best Star Wars film after the original trilogy. not only do we get a decent performance from Hayden Christensen we also have Ian McDiarmid's Emperor, no longer worming away in the shadows. Here McDiarmid gets to play Palpatine with a vicious intensity as he very quickly dispatches his enemies and allies alike.

In fact there is death galore. From the beheading of Count Dooku to the murder of the young Jedi trainees in the temple and much more in between. It's this gleefully sadistic tone that often doesn't feel like a typical Star Wars film, thus making it stand out from crowd.

I'd never noticed previously but when Vader goes to look at the newly under construction Death Star, the Emperor is actually talking to Peter Cushing's Governor Tarkin as Vader approaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_poster.jpg (84.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th April 2022, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran

I've been meaning to re-watch that one for ages now! I want to watch ...clones first and I know its going to be a chore so haven't got around to it

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th April 2022, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Ten Commandments (1956)

An epic four hour film about the life of Moses, an adopted Egyptian prince who becomes the deliverer of enslaved Hebrews, and leads the Exodus to Mount Sinai, where he receives from God, the Ten Commandments.

A fantastic cast - Charlton Heston (Always brilliant at playing put upon), Yul Brynner, Edward G Robinson, Vincent Price, Anne Baxter, Yvonne DeCarlo - and great visuals make the lengthy running time almost fly by.

Whilst not as stunning to look at as last weeks Cleopatra (They clearly didn't build Egypt for this one) i do find The Ten Commandments far more entertaining experience.

A sequel showing what happened to the stone tablets followed almost thirty years later, directed by Steven Spielberg.
Old 19th April 2022, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran

Never seen that one (I know!!!) but I did watch Exodus: Gods & Kings the other month and instantly regretted it haha. Although the Red Sea bit was good
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th April 2022, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

lfmm.jpg
KING OF KINGS (1961)

The life of Christ, but this time with a bit of a difference. A lot of the movie is of what is going on behind the scenes at the time. There is a lot of Herod, Pilate and Barrabas for example.With all these other stories happening, some of the miracles and trial are only spoken about. Jeffrey Hunter makes for an okay Jesus and was cast for his blue eyes.
Old 19th April 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 239810
KING OF KINGS (1961)

The life of Christ, but this time with a bit of a difference. A lot of the movie is of what is going on behind the scenes at the time. There is a lot of Herod, Pilate and Barrabas for example.With all these other stories happening, some of the miracles and trial are only spoken about. Jeffrey Hunter makes for an okay Jesus and was cast for his blue eyes.
Never seen this. Is it available on disc?
Old 19th April 2022, 06:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yes. Not in the UK though. It's on Blu ray from USA.
Excellent picture and includes the overture, intermission and exit music.
All region.

912KFe5rErL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!