Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2022, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

Sorry but this mess is as far away from the first couple of Die Hard films as you can get.

Yes there are a couple of excellent action set pieces during the films first half but as it approaches the finale it becomes ever more tedious with cretinous dialogue, if you can call it that, of single word exclamations such as "F*ck", "Shit", "John" and "Jack". Whilst the villains are so unmemorable and poorly written they make you long for Die Hard 4's Timothy Olyphant, never mind the classic villains of the first three films.

Bruce Willis simply goes through the motions and co-star Jai Courtney has no motions to go through.

That was my third watch of A Good Day to Die Hard and it really doesn't get any better.
Despite it's flaws I like A Good Day To Die Hard. No it's not really a Die Hard film but I don't think there has actually been one since Die Hard. Films such as Under Siege have come closer in spirit. It is a bit ludicrous but I think treated as a standalone film it's entertaining nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2022, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Despite it's flaws I like A Good Day To Die Hard. No it's not really a Die Hard film but I don't think there has actually been one since Die Hard. Films such as Under Siege have come closer in spirit. It is a bit ludicrous but I think treated as a standalone film it's entertaining nonsense.
It's certainly nonsense. The entertainment levels for me disappear following the hotel ballroom escape.

That car chase (If you can call it that) was excellent though. Should have made that the finale. Would have been a hell of a lot better.
Old 26th April 2022, 12:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ring O. 2000.

A shy girl named Sadako joins a theater drama troupe and is cast as a lead actress when the original actress was found dead. A journalist looks into the girl's past and her spiritualist mother and believes there is something wrong when the troupe begin to die in strange ways.

The prequel i'm sure we all wanted to see and and how it all started for Sadako and the cursed tape, First time seeing this and like the previous films it has the Japanese folklore of spiritualism mentioned and two Sadako's, one good one evil but that's it, we see the snippets from the cursed tape but who made it? Did I miss something or is this explained in another film? This felt like more of a drama rather than horror, bit disappointed.

MV5BNTA4NDkwOTE5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjcwNjgwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 26th April 2022, 03:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

La Llorona. 2019.

A paranoid war criminal accused of ordering a mass genocide in Guatemala is housebound and feels that the sins of the pass have come to haunt him and his family in the form of a wailing woman.

After watching the 2019 The Curse of La Llorona and being disappointed I held off watching this film for a while but it came up and from the start it was intriguing to see how it goes. The cast are ones that I have never heard of nor the director, this isn't much of a horror its more political and coming to near end of life scenario but does have a dark atmosphere until the young new made comes in and becomes a somewhat haunted house then goes into a different path. This was interesting to keep me occupied, go with a open mind and another subtitled movie.

La_llorona-552220675-large.jpg
Old 26th April 2022, 08:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It's certainly nonsense. The entertainment levels for me disappear following the hotel ballroom escape.

That car chase (If you can call it that) was excellent though. Should have made that the finale. Would have been a hell of a lot better.
I still remember the first time I watched Die Hard. It was (at least to me at the time) quite unique in its presentation of the hero in this extremely restricted seige environment. Despite the scale of Nakatomi Plaza there is a claustrophobic feel to the action. That seige dynamic was something the series never really had again. I suppose Die Hard 2 tried but It didn't feel the same at all for me. In the end the franchise became more about Bruce Willis' vest.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs and DaveH like this.
Old 26th April 2022, 08:56 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I still remember the first time I watched Die Hard
'Die Hard 2' was the last film I worked on when I was at the cinema before I was unceremoniously removed from my position and told never to darken the doors of the auditorium again!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th April 2022, 05:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE PHANTOM OF THE MONASTERY ( 1934 )
A group of people get lost in the mountains and get invited to spend the night at a nearby Monastery, where they are greeted by a strange group of monks, who tell the tale of one if their brothers who suffered a horrible fate.
I took a punt on this and I’m glad I did. It’s a bit stagey at times but has an eerie atmosphere and some genuine creepy moments. Fair play to Indicator for putting out such an obscure movie in such an excellent presentation.

THE HEROIN BUSTERS ( 1977 )
Super cool Fabio Testi stars as an undercover cop helping top cop David Hemmings to smash a heroin smuggling gang in Castellari’s action pactked politiziotteschi.
As ever, there are several car chases, including a memorable chase in an underground train station and an unforgettable climactic aeroplane (!) chase which has to be seen to be believed. The stunts these guys did back in the day were insane. No CGI here folks.
Superb looking Blu Ray from Arrow.
Old 26th April 2022, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

THE HEROIN BUSTERS ( 1977 )
Super cool Fabio Testi stars as an undercover cop helping top cop David Hemmings to smash a heroin smuggling gang in Castellari’s action pactked politiziotteschi.
As ever, there are several car chases, including a memorable chase in an underground train station and an unforgettable climactic aeroplane (!) chase which has to be seen to be believed. The stunts these guys did back in the day were insane. No CGI here folks.
Superb looking Blu Ray from Arrow.
Have you seen Highway Racer, Mojo?

The stunts in that really are insane. I have no idea how they got away with sending two cars on their rooves down the famous Spanish Steps landmark, and that jump at the end was even crazier.
Mojo and nicholasrope like this.
Old 26th April 2022, 06:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Have you seen Highway Racer, Mojo?

The stunts in that really are insane. I have no idea how they got away with sending two cars on their rooves down the famous Spanish Steps landmark, and that jump at the end was even crazier.
I have Dem. I can’t say it’s a favourite of mine, as it just seemed to be ALL car chases and little else.
I agree though, the stunts are incredible.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 26th April 2022, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I have Dem. I can’t say it’s a favourite of mine, as it just seemed to be ALL car chases and little else.
I agree though, the stunts are incredible.
I need to get Phantom of the Monastery, glad you liked it, the La Llorona one as well. Oh and the Adventures of box set, which i ended up canceling my preorder as i'd spent way too much this month.

Go get yourself Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion. You'll love that, Mojo.
Mojo and Demoncrat like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!