Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Time Guardian (1987, Brian Hannant)

Aussie SF caper. Far in the future, we still say "Bullshit!" when annoyed
Undemanding and a tad dull in places, this was more or less an endless stream of cliches, and Dean Stockwell's outfit didn't quite alleviate this feeling
Well, they can't all be great I suppose ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd May 2022, 04:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

I rented Time Guardian out video because Carrie Fisher was in it.
If I remember rightly she was killed or injured early in the movie so that was a waste of time.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While i enjoyed the omega man this I found it to be the better film and was a lot closer too the book it's based on(I'm legend) . It feels a lot more empty and desolate and you can feel prices loneliness. The vampires are a lot more creepy than the mutants in omega man. Recommend .

Now watching

Old 3rd May 2022, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Insidious. 2010.

A family believe their house is haunted after their son has a fall and goes into a coma, only to find out something darker has happened.

I never had much hope for this film back when it first came out and now I still enjoy it, it does have the element of a haunted house with ghosts making a appearance then shifts into a case of possession then moves into the astro-projectory element of the film.

Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne play the happy couple who move into a new house and things start to happen and move again yet they seem to be followed by the ghosts. Lin Shaye plays the psychic Elise who finds the answers in "The Further". Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson play the assistant Specs and Tucker. Barbara Hershey plays Grandmother who eventually lets out her own secrets about why she may know so much. With good cinematography, direction and a eerie background score. always better to watch in the dark.

812338191.jpg
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I rented Time Guardian out video because Carrie Fisher was in it.
If I remember rightly she was killed or injured early in the movie so that was a waste of time.
Yes, she's in it certainly. Ooooh not quite, but close ....
Dave Boy likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2022, 02:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Insidious: Chapter 2. 2013.

The Lambert's are trying to move on from what happened with their son and death of Elise, but now Renai believes that something is wrong with Josh. Along with Elise's friend Carl, Lorraine, Specs and Tucker they uncover a darker parasite is haunting them.

This starts off with young Josh and Lorraine meeting Elise while Josh was being tormented then jumps in to the present with Renai and a detective trying to uncover the death of Elise and doesn't take long for everything to go from happy to being tormented. The actors from the previous film return and do a brilliant job. Leigh Whannell and James Wan return as writer and director and basically give us a decent sequel that has more darker moments that the lights definitely need to be off.

8177za9XKBL._RI_.jpg
Old 4th May 2022, 03:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Insidious: Chapter 3. 2015.

Before Elise helps The Lambert's, a young girl Quinn wants to contact her deceased mother but Elise feels she has contacted a darker entity. When Quinn becomes housebound due to a accident she becomes a easy target.

This is the prequel we may have not wanted but we got it and had very little expectations the first time I watched this. Leigh Whannell takes sole credit for writer and director and gives us something different with a few more jumps scares. The main entity backstory is never really revealed but it's one of those characters that do we want to know the back story.

Stefanie Scott and Dermot Mulroney plays the father and daughter Sean and Quinn and able to pull off the struggling family with Tate Berney playing the little brother Alex. Leigh Whannell, Angus Sampson and Lin Shaye return which shows how they were able to create the partnership. This was a decent entry into the franchise.

AAAABYh3aepTYITyPlaQxB7hpsCfT3s8aKL8CwnfKdOOYdFXAJvjQmfbDAxyMC9qMisuzKBnLaLZlyq5aGJz9-tg2C1n9toZ.jpg
Old 4th May 2022, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (5).jpg
THE GREAT ESCAPE (1963)

The classic WWII movie based on true events of the escape of prisoners from Stalag Luft III. I had not seen this in a while so it was great to give the disc a spin again. This is great stuff and I really enjoyed watching it again.

Another movie I had not seen in a real long time. The first time was at the cinema in 3D.
This was fantastic and I really don't know why I left it so long to watch it again.
This looks absolutely stunning in it's visuals and scope.
Awesome!
Old 4th May 2022, 04:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

LAMB – Noomi Rapace in a folkloric yarn involving an ovine changeling. Before it’s horror, it’s about the act of raising a child in a world that has no representation of a family with difference at its heart. The eeriness, the weirdness, all stems from the misalignment of parental expectations with ‘reality’ (hey, doesn’t it always). It’s quiet, still, lots of mood and empty Icelandic countryside. I should point out that there is actually a monster. I really liked it.

CHOOSE OR DIE – Brit (?) flick where everyone’s pretending to be American – wait on, there’s Eddie Marsan playing an evil slacker dad – never thought I’d see it. COD is a fusion of tired post-‘Saw’ tropes and J-horror themes with a bit of Charlie Brooker thrown in (not to mention a smidge of Robert Englund). A cursed computer game is… yeah, you’ve watched it already in your heads (if you didn’t switch channels halfway through). Dumb but enjoyable, with a bit of splat.

CORPSE EATERS – Post-NOTLD grot from obscure Canadian filmmakers, CE is definitely one for the rescue list given that it’s only really viewable on YT or, for all I know, some other grey area format. It’s as basic as they come – after a leering make-out session (overseen by an owl!), pesky college studes hole up in a crypt and ‘summon’ the undead, who are well into flesh ripping. There’s some seriously unembarrassed camerawork which wanders into almost Doris Wishmanesque territory, alongside some of my usual favourites - weird electronic music, surprising gore and a disjointed tone. It’s the kind of film where a disgruntled undertaker mumbles a pissed-off voiceover full of gems like “some guy’s just come in with half his face ripped off… must have been a bear… probably deserved it.”

DOOM – As linear as it gets, this is just a stripped down ‘Alien’ clone with good optics and some names and faces. The Rock is one such name / face combination, and he turns out to be a bit of a twat. I don’t know why, but I nearly had a bladder spasm when I saw Dexter Fletcher decked out as a cyborg on wheels. Lots of screeching and flaming hot lead from an era when you couldn’t begrudge a bit of bad CGI.
Old 4th May 2022, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always FT

Kill And Kill Again (1981, Ivan Hall)

Fancy a Bond knock off? Then watch In Like Flint
This on the other hand ....
A man needs to round up his old team for one last job.
The villain has the best false beard ever. Like A Fistful Of Yen, but serious , this may make it to Boxing Day, as the laughter came thick and fast due to the risible dialogue and piecemeal set pieces.
You may find the poster somewhat familiar looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kill-and-kill-again-movie-poster-md.jpg (29.8 KB, 3 views)

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 4th May 2022 at 06:57 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!