Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179043Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2022, 09:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It might not be quite as shocking and disturbing as it once was , but it's still a classic horror that gave birth to one of the icons of horror. A classic.
I saw A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET at the cinema on release.
The cinema was packed. People were really scared. Actually jumping and screaming. One of the best audience reactions I have ever been to at a cinema.
Old 17th May 2022, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I saw A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET at the cinema on release.
The cinema was packed. People were really scared. Actually jumping and screaming. One of the best audience reactions I have ever been to at a cinema.
First saw it as a kid , gave me nightmares for weeks was scared to goto sleep didn't help that my brother's would make scratching noises on bedroom door and window surprised I didn't end up in therapy!
Old 18th May 2022, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 240242 Attachment 240243
DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2003) ELEKTRA DIRECTORS CUT (2005)

A step back in time to to two Marvel movies that seem mostly forgotten now with the MCU movies taken over. People seem to forget that these movies along with movies like BLADE, GHOST RIDER, THE PUNISHER etc..
were the start of the franchise.. and X-MEN.
Both DAREDEVIL and ELEKTRA in thier directors cut editions are far better than their theatrical cut versions. DAREDEVIL being a big 30mins extra, removing scenes from the theatrical cut and adding extra scenes to give more scope to the movie. ELEKTRA has only about 3mins extra but the inserted moments add a bit more to her character.
Good to watch again and I enjoyed both movies as it has been many years since I last watched these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give me these two, especially the superb Daredevil - Bullseye in the bar -wow! "Top O' the Morning to Ya" - One of my favourite scenes in a superhero film- over the majority of Marvel and DC films from the last fifteen years.
I'd much rather watch the recent Daredevil Marvel TV series – with the benefit of longform storytelling, it does a better job of developing the characters, criminal enterprises, and the city than the films.

I don't think either film is particularly good but, as Dave Boy said, the extended versions – particularly of Daredevil are superior to the theatrical cuts.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 18th May 2022, 10:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd much rather watch the recent Daredevil Marvel TV series – with the benefit of longform storytelling, it does a better job of developing the characters, criminal enterprises, and the city than the films.

I don't think either film is particularly good but, as Dave Boy said, the extended versions – particularly of Daredevil are superior to the theatrical cuts.
Problem is it's Marvel / Disney and as with Agents of SHIELD they couldn't be arsed to release it all on dvd or Blu-ray so it's pretty pointless seeking out the first couple of series if there's no resolution.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Problem is it's Marvel / Disney and as with Agents of SHIELD they couldn't be arsed to release it all on dvd or Blu-ray so it's pretty pointless seeking out the first couple of series if there's no resolution.
You're absolutely right. I wish Disney would release the third season of Daredevil on Blu-ray, or a set of all three, and promise to do the same with the last couple of seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

When I saw the film, I thought Michael Clarke Duncan was the 'definitive' Kingpin, but I think I've changed my mind and Vincent D'Onofrio absolutely nailed the role.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:37 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I wish Disney would release the third season of Daredevil on Blu-ray, or a set of all three, and promise to do the same with the last couple of seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

When I saw the film, I thought Michael Clarke Duncan was the 'definitive' Kingpin, but I think I've changed my mind and Vincent D'Onofrio absolutely nailed the role.
Some might suggest simply streaming the series. However they rank as prime examples of where streaming goes awry too seeing as Disney removed their series from Netflix just like that to add to their own streaming platform. Imagine being half way through the second series and then they get removed and put onto something that you aren't subscribed too.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Some might suggest simply streaming the series. However they rank as prime examples of where streaming goes awry too seeing as Disney removed their series from Netflix just like that to add to their own streaming platform. Imagine being half way through the second series and then they get removed and put onto something that you aren't subscribed too.
I'd much rather own something than be reliant on a consistently good Wi-Fi signal and a subscription to a particular streaming service. As you say, films and programs can disappear overnight or move to a different company, and prices can go up to become prohibitively expensive.

A one-off payment for a Blu-ray set of a season seems much better for a consumer/viewer. At least that way no one can take it off you or charge you extra to watch it a year or so later.
Old 18th May 2022, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'd much rather own something than be reliant on a consistently good Wi-Fi signal and a subscription to a particular streaming service. As you say, films and programs can disappear overnight or move to a different company, and prices can go up to become prohibitively expensive.

A one-off payment for a Blu-ray set of a season seems much better for a consumer/viewer. At least that way no one can take it off you or charge you extra to watch it a year or so later.
Exactly.

I'm getting to the stage where i'll be re-watching all my old series again in full. Complete series from the early days of dvd such as Buffy, Angel, Alias, Dark Angel, Rome, Teachers, Babylon-5, Millennium, Smallville, Sex and the City, Coupling, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Friends... and i'm really looking forward to it.

I doubt they are all on one single streaming service, whereas they are all on my shelf.
Old 18th May 2022, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

VHS ’94 – I always thought that the VHS series was on the ‘passable’ rather then the ‘essential’ side of things, but VHS94 is definitely a notch or two up on the others. It is, I guess, ‘found footage’ of sorts, but it uses its retro-styled nineties camcorder crudiness to eerie and unwholesome effect, conjuring a video impressionism that’s as ghostly as it is grimy. The segments are all pretty twisted and don’t skimp on gore, most of them taking a faltering light to the underbelly – pre-millennial cults, brainwash daytime TV, the new dark crevices of the incipient mass-communication network - of a decade that seems weirder as the years go by.

I TRAPPED THE DEVIL – I don’t know about the devil, but the nervous I-guy in question definitely has SOMETHING trapped behind his cellar door. That ITTD attracted mixed reviews showed its audience’s lack of patience, I think; it’s a slow burn for sure, and, unless quite a bit of implied backstory flew over my head, not all that clearly resolved by the time its satanic captive skips away at the end. But there’s just such a great atmosphere, so ominous and dense with all its faux-christmas Bava lighting that you might feel a bit trapped, too. Recommended.

LAKE MUNGO – Long-heralded but neglected by myself up to now, ‘Lake Mungo’ did what a lot of supposed ‘must-sees’ rarely do for me, and pretty much lived up to expectations. The film takes a ‘fake documentary’ approach to its story about a missing girl, and a genuine eeriness follows from this mundane, non-dramatic framing; footage of ordinary people mumbling in their houses somehow builds an atmosphere of real foreboding. It only slips a couple of times when it goes in for some heavy-handed horror imagery, but even that works in a way. Low key, but it certainly got under my skin.
Old 18th May 2022, 04:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deathtrap. 1982.

Play writer Sydney Bruhl's latest show becomes a flop and plots to kill a student writer and steal his work.

Michael Caine plays the play writer who gets the harsh criticism and decides to take a look at a student's work and along with his wife Dyan Cannon who seems to scream out at anything and everything to go along with it but seems to have a change of heart. Christopher Reeve plays the young writer looking for approval to his play Deathtrap. Based on the stage play by Ira Levin, this has some dark comedy added in with a twist and twist then a extra twist all the way to the end. Some bits may drag on a bit too long but this was enjoyable.

Deathtrap_imp.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!