LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2022, 01:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

To some David Suchet may be the one and only Belgium sleuth Poirot,

Attachment 240257
Nah, Peter Ustinov!
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th May 2022, 08:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Nah, Peter Ustinov!
Christ I forgot about Peter Unistov...bad Mr. B
Old 19th May 2022, 08:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rent-A-Pal (2020, Jon Stevenson)

Meet David. He looks after his mum. David has other needs too though ...
Another "period" piece (80s). Decent enough central performances. Mostly grounded as I did recognise certain elements of this situation. Though others may find a certain sequence wasn't quite earned ahem.

The Night House (2020, David Bruckner)

Meet Beth. Recently widowed, she begins to discover that hubby wasn't the perfect catch after all. Like with that PA flick, I felt this one spent too long misdirecting us with red herrings and rushed the final revelation. Or I am going deaf as I had to rewind that part twice to "get it".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rent-A-Pal-Review-IFC-Thriller.jpg (29.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TNH.jpg (19.8 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2022, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

City of the Living Dead (1980)

A minor masterpiece from Lucio Fulci. Nightmarish, bloody and supremely atmospheric not to mention utter nonsense.

For every piece of gob smacking brilliance (The drill sequence for one) there's sheer incompetence to match it (Supposedly set during the couple of days leading up to All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and there's not a Halloween decoration to be seen) occasionally the two meld together in the same sequence such as the girl vomiting her guts up which looks superb whilst actress Daniela Doria holds the sheep intestines in her mouth but looks so clunky when her head becomes a prosthetic - those teeth. Were they drawn on?

However there's no point being critical as most of Lucio's films are flawed so it's best not to think about it and simply go along for the ride.

And what a ride it is.

Not sure what to make of the 4K Arrow blu-ray print. The print that features heavily in the extras interview footage seemed a superior one to the film itself. Didn't look as bright or pasty faced.

Speaking of extras, the wealth of additional material on the Arrow Blu-ray makes it worth the purchase price alone. There's hours of interviews, from people who worked on the production to author Stephen Thrower and director Andy Nyman. Arrow have come up with a superb pacjage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2069 (Large).jpg (97.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th May 2022, 01:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rampage. 2018.

After a space ship crashes, three canisters crash lands that mutates the DNA of three different animals which makes them grow, a primotologist and a former employee of the Energyne company try to stop the animals from attacking.

This was better than I expected it to be thanks for the trailers pooping up and giving away some sub plot, but it has it's good moments and laughter, where else would you see a gorilla being sarcastic to Dwayne Johnson? Naomie Harris plays the somewhat heroine in this who seems to know about the cure and Jefferey Dean Morgan as the government agent who seems to enjoy his work a bit too much. There is good effects and nothing seems to be rushed about, one of these movies you can watch once every so often.

44df73fa1635fe32f04775e52b147460.jpg
Old 19th May 2022, 04:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
City of the Living Dead (1980)

A minor masterpiece from Lucio Fulci. Nightmarish, bloody and supremely atmospheric not to mention utter nonsense.

For every piece of gob smacking brilliance (The drill sequence for one) there's sheer incompetence to match it (Supposedly set during the couple of days leading up to All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and there's not a Halloween decoration to be seen) occasionally the two meld together in the same sequence such as the girl vomiting her guts up which looks superb whilst actress Daniela Doria holds the sheep intestines in her mouth but looks so clunky when her head becomes a prosthetic - those teeth. Were they drawn on?

However there's no point being critical as most of Lucio's films are flawed so it's best not to think about it and simply go along for the ride.

And what a ride it is.

Not sure what to make of the 4K Arrow blu-ray print. The print that features heavily in the extras interview footage seemed a superior one to the film itself. Didn't look as bright or pasty faced.

Speaking of extras, the wealth of additional material on the Arrow Blu-ray makes it worth the purchase price alone. There's hours of interviews, from people who worked on the production to author Stephen Thrower and director Andy Nyman. Arrow have come up with a superb pacjage.
Compared to the old original Arrow blu ray the new print is absolutely superb Dem. The old white slip version was unwatchable for me. Literally unwatchable.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Mojo likes this.
Old 19th May 2022, 04:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Nah, Peter Ustinov!
He's good but has nothing on suchet just like Jeremey Brett is Holmes , Suchet is Poirot. His performance is on a whole different level.
Old 19th May 2022, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Rampage. 2018.

After a space ship crashes, three canisters crash lands that mutates the DNA of three different animals which makes them grow, a primotologist and a former employee of the Energyne company try to stop the animals from attacking.

This was better than I expected it to be thanks for the trailers pooping up and giving away some sub plot, but it has it's good moments and laughter, where else would you see a gorilla being sarcastic to Dwayne Johnson? Naomie Harris plays the somewhat heroine in this who seems to know about the cure and Jefferey Dean Morgan as the government agent who seems to enjoy his work a bit too much. There is good effects and nothing seems to be rushed about, one of these movies you can watch once every so often.

Attachment 240266
He love that monkey.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2022, 04:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
He love that monkey.
He loved that monkey a lot to teach him how to flip people off
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2022, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Compared to the old original Arrow blu ray the new print is absolutely superb Dem. The old white slip version was unwatchable for me. Literally unwatchable.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
It certainly was - it was dreadful. The new release is night and day in comparison.
As for the film itself, not only do I think it’s Fulci’s best film, it also narrowly beats SUSPIRIA as my favourite horror film of all time. Whether it’s the foggy, eerie atmosphere, the jaw dropping shocks, the wonderfully brilliant soundtrack, I just think there’s been nothing else like it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!