Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2022, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Jug Face (2013)

A young girl in an old backwoods community ends up pregnant with her brothers child and discovers she is to be sacrificed to a creature in a pit out in the woods.

A slow burner of a folk horror film that i really enjoy. The central premise of ancient custom and folklore is nicely explored and the idea that when a face is created on a clay jug then that person should be sacrificed to an ancient creature is quite Lovecraftian in it's execution.

The film is clearly low budget yet is so small scale you don't really notice. Larry Fessenden, the director of Wendigo and The Last Winter is one of the actors here, but due to the thick atmosphere and ambiance you'd swear he also directed it too. The film boasts strong performances all round giving the whole thing a very believable air which all culminates in an original and interesting horror movie.

The Arrow Blu-ray is very nice and features in the Dementer limited edition set.

This is on shudder might watch it tomorrow.

Another which was a first viewing and really enjoyed it's very enjoyable and can see a love of the genre, a group of film students host a all night horror marathon but unknowing too them a killer is stalking the aisles, lots of red herrings and watch out for Dee Wallace Stone.

Watched Fangoria chainsaw awards 2022 while it's very cheesy and very low budget its quite enjoyable and 1000 times better than the Oscars. Was nice that John Carpenter got award for best music score, the chainsaw award is also nicer than the dull old Oscar.

Now watching first film of season 4 of Joe Bob, this one is night of the living dead, at 3 hours will not be watching in one go.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ice Road (2021, Johnathan Hensleigh)

Corporations bad boo hiss.
Ignoring all the missteps in this film would take too long. Was there any genuine tension? LF
Watching zoomers react to Oldboy was more thrilling tbh. Now there's a film.
Later today I will watch The Sadness, as I'm sick of avoiding spoilers.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st May 2022, 08:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

KANDISHA – Maury and Bustillo are back with what feels like a culturally translocated re-jig of ‘The Candyman’. A girl in a graffitied-up high-rise summons a man-thrashing demon with a taste for lame boyfriends and sex pests… cue obvious subtext. There’s a bit of urban strife-type reportage to fuel the drama, but ‘Kandisha’, despite good performances and some atmosphere, only really comes into its own during a few key nightmarish scenes – the bit in the sauna, for example, is savage, surreal and riveting. It’s a shame these moments are like windows into a different film. Overall, ‘Kandisha’ is pretty good, it’s definitely worth a watch, but it’s no ‘Livide’ and it’s a long way from ‘Inside’.

HOST – Zoom-based found footage flick in which an internet séance goes wrong and invokes a really pissed off spook. I thought this would be a bit of a yawn to be honest, but I watched it anyway, thinking that if I could switch it on I could at least switch it back off. I was pleasantly surprised; ‘Host’ is a really effective no-budgeter that uses its video-call split-screen format to creepy and distracting effect, allowing some genuine atmosphere to take hold between the jump scares and crass bits. Give it a go, and let it confound and confuse that raised eyebrow of yours (if you raised it in the first place, that is).

THE SCARE OF SIXTY FIRST – Two flatmates find that their new pad is the focus of an Epstein-based supernatural conspiracy in Dasha Nekrasova’s bizarre directorial debut. Maybe I’m revealing my lack of sophistication here, but I found it quite difficult to decide whether I was watching an art flick playing it sloppy or just a straight up bad horror film. Either way, the moments of disconnect are too numerous to have originated in anything other than a stiflingly unhinged work, one that you can almost sense leering at the baffled looks of its estranged audience. That’s what I liked about it. There’s a really screechy ‘avant-garde performance’ aspect to it that I loved – people in goo-goo ga-ga mode wanking in rooms covered in torn-up photos of the royal family etc – yeah, I remember art school. But just the vague insanity of the fact that it’s this sub-Lynchean / Polanskian New York grimfest that at the same time has this obsessive focus on Prince Andrew, as a stalker’s toy as much as a satirical device, was enough to pique my interest. I can imagine a lot of people hating it, but it’s worth a shot if you like slightly feverish cinema that offers no clues.

FOR THE SAKE OF VICIOUS – A brutally efficient little thriller that offers up a tried and tested home-invasion scenario and then pretty much pulverises it into oblivion before our very eyes. ‘For The Sake Of Vicious’ (what a title) is not pushing the conceptual envelope with its set-up, in which a classical ‘wronged man’ kidnaps the wretch he believes raped his daughter with a view to some post-court case DIY retribution; these bare narrative bones are almost pleasantries, because the film’s main purpose seems to be unremitting gore. I actually preferred the slow burn of the first half, where the accent was on suspense – after that you get the masked thugs breaking in and a tsunami of unlikely bloodshed. Or maybe not even that much gore, I’ve seen far worse, I guess the point I’m trying to make is, it was enough of a grand guignol switchover to take me by surprise and transform the film from meat-and-potatoes thriller into splatterfest. Which is interesting in itself. Definitely one to check out.
Old 21st May 2022, 09:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always

Did enjoy Host myself (mostly).
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st May 2022, 09:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
As always

Did enjoy Host myself (mostly).

Same, the last few mins let it down but there is only so much you could do.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st May 2022, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Driller Killer. 1979.

Artist Reno slowly goes insane while struggling to pay his bills and caring for his two female flatmates.

No matter how many times I watch this I always seem to think, why attack derelict and homeless people if the guy is strapped for cash, they will have little to no money that will help pay the bills. Before Jack Nicholson went into a slow decent into madness, Abel Ferrara took the plunge first ad just went nuts with a drill.

Ferrara who starred and directed this practically showed you don't need to have a big budget to make somewhat art-house film that made it to the video nasty list, just some creative skills and a good bit of blood splatter especially with a drill to the skull and somewhat mix of good and bad acting along the way.

MV5BMjE5ODI4Mzk0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkzNzUxMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st May 2022, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As bad as I remember easily the worst in the series , really has no redeeming qualities , terrible writing direction, Johnny Depp, Roseanne and dreadful acting apart from Englund

At least a new nightmare is huge is improvement and is probably my second or third favourite.

Now watching this which will be first viewing.

After this will either be jug face or new nightmare.

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st May 2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 21st May 2022, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Premonition. 1975.

A foster mother begins to have psychic visions when the birth mother turns up and threatens to take her away.

This one seems to pop up a lot for me over the last month or so and didn't seem to appeal to me and tonight I took the plunge to watch it and glad I did, this was actually better than I thought. This does have a somewhat eerie atmosphere around it and supernatural element from start to finish.

Richard Lynch plays a bit of a whacky circus clown drawn into a kidnap plot and Sharon Farrell who seems to develop visions but can't really explain how. This is one of those films that everyone takes seriously with their acting and no one seems to outshine everyone.

premonition_po-01.jpg
Old 21st May 2022, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It has great potential that one, but it's no Burnt Offerings certainly.

Memory (2022, Martin Campbell)

When Campbell's name came up at the end, it all sort of made sense really.
Liaaaaaaamneeeesson stars as a hitman. WAKE UP!!!
Guy Pierce does the decent thing and acting and that.

Ahem. Reminded me of the Soderbergh Traffik in places (tonally). Effective enough, yin to the yang of The Ice Road if you will. NOW for The Sadness

[B]
Old 21st May 2022, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

I made a heinous mistake last night. I decided, against my better judgment, to try and watch Halloween Kills.
Holy f*****g s**t. "Terrible" does not even begin to cover it. 2018 was bad, but this is somehow even worse. Boring, stupid, with zero characters to speak of, and just constantly banging the nostalgia drum with nothing new to offer.
Oh look, little Tommy Doyle is back (for some reason). He was in Halloween 6 too. Oh look, the Nurse from the original film is back (for some reason). She was in II and H20 too. In shock of shocks, Michael kills her. Oh wait, he did that already in H20.
I tried, I really did. But there is nothing in these movies that the original series did not already do, and in most cases did better in those "terrible sequels" we're all supposed to be happy to throw away to get these new ones. Except most of those sequels were actually pretty good, and certainly infinitely better than these godawful messes. We even get a godawful CGI Donald Pleasance at the start of this one. Or you could, you know, just watch the real guy in the real Halloween II instead. Or IV. Or V. All of which are better than this piece of utter crap.

Like this? Share it using the links below!