Good Trader

Glad you liked JeruZalem Treb,
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Glad you liked JeruZalem Treb,
The bay is also on shudder and that's also been recommended so will give that a try later this week.
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Proposal (2009)

Sandra Bullock plays a bitchy publisher who finds out she has no US visa and is to be deported back to Canada. She bribes her assistant (Ryan Reynolds) to marry her in return for a publishing deal. However things get complicated when they visit his family in Alaska in an effort to convince immigration officials they really are in love.

An amiable easy to watch rom-com with Bullock and Reynolds in good form - Thankfully Reynolds isn't playing Deadpool - and a strong cast including Betty White and Mary Steenburgen make sure it's not all about the two leads.

In all truth there's nothing that's new here and it's the sort of comedy that could easily have come out of the forties with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. That's probably why i like it.

The Alaskan scenery and colourful towns means this would look lovely on Blu-ray.

Note to self - Have a look for the Pacino / Williams thriller Insomnia on Blu if you want to see gloomy Alaska.
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The bay is also on shudder and that's also been recommended so will give that a try later this week.
If you like foreign subtitled movies check out The Medium on Shudder, it's over two hours long but wasn't too bad
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I missed your Jeruzalem thoughts until now, Treb. Pleased you enjoyed it.

The Bay is different in how the found footage is put together which is pretty cool. It's not a bunch of clowns filming on phones or shit like that.

In fact i think i'll rewatch it myself now.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I missed your Jeruzalem thoughts until now, Treb. Pleased you enjoyed it.

The Bay is different in how the found footage is put together which is pretty cool. It's not a bunch of clowns filming on phones or shit like that.

In fact i think i'll rewatch it myself now.
That's the problem with found footage 90% of them are some idiots who think they can make a film with a mobile phone and zero talent.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Bay (2012)

A found footage horror film from the Oscar winning director of Rain Man (1988), Disclosure (1994) and Good Morning Vietnam (1987), Barry Levinson.

The Bay is something truly different. Set at the July 4th celebrations of a small Maryland town in 2009 where people inexplicably become sick with a variety of symptoms including terrible rashes. It's deduced it may have come from toxic sea water caused by excrement from the local chicken industry that's dumped into the waters of the bay.

A prologue states that this documentary style horror film (a mockumentary ?) contains digital footage confiscated by the US Government in an attempt to cover up what happened. Now three years later that footage from various sources from home video, to police car dash cams to CCTV, to actual news reports has been leaked and put together by an upcoming university reporter in an attempt to tell the world what happened.

A cross between Jaws and eco-horror this was a personal film for director Levinson who grew up in Maryland. He was approached to make a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay area's issues with pollution in it's water and it being 40% dead. Finding out such a doc had recently been made he decided to turn his findings into a horror film.

Actually having it as found footage from multiple sources gives the film a proper docudrama feel allowing the viewer a genuine insight into the town, the whole picture, from the hospitals and the CDC to the police and naturally the local townsfolk. The film doesn't follow one single person but the girl putting all the footage together narrates events as they happened to her knowledge at the time.

At times very gruesome and guaranteed to make your skin crawl - you think images of Monkeypox makes you itch - The Bay is a horror film that is 80% true and the cause of the infection is deep rooted in reality.

Excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thebay.jpg (60.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 24th May 2022, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scooby-Doo. 2002.

After Mystery. Inc breaks up, they are individually invited to investigate strange goings on at Spooky Island attraction park.

Being a PG rated film, this does have a bit of adult humour, jokes that can still crack a smile even with Rowan Atkinson is able to bring some comedy with with his facial gestures. Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar play Fred and Daphne who starts off being the damsel in distress but kicked it up a notch which didn't seem right. Linda Cardellini plays the brainstorming Velma and able to almost sound like the original cartoon character and Mathew Lillard playing Shaggy. Even though Scooby is made by using CGI, Lillard is able to make it look real when they are on screen together.

bseVYuv2Z9dUsxvqM2qnKUaFNgn.jpg
Old 24th May 2022, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

I wish Linda Cardellini was in more stuff, she’s really good in this and cult TV show Freaks and Geeks.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th May 2022, 07:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I wish Linda Cardellini was in more stuff, she’s really good in this and cult TV show Freaks and Geeks.
Last film I saw her in was The Curse Of La Llorona and she was good in that.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!