Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blackenstein. 1973.

Eddie a Vietnam Veteran who lost both arms and legs due to a land mine visits a doctor who can re-attach new limbs to his body. A jealous assistant switches some DNA injections causing Eddie to become a gigantic monster.

This had to be the inspiration for Young Frankenstein (sorry...Fronkensteen), surely it really can't be taken seriously and it isn't. Admiration for the makers to get a hold of the original Frankenstein laboratory props to use in this, but the acting isn't that great, everyone probably knew it wouldn't be a big movie and decided to be cheesy with their dialogue delivery, its good for it's laughs.

blackenstein-1973-us-poster.jpg
Old 24th June 2022, 03:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demons Of The Mind. 1972.

A doctor discovers a baron who keeps his children imprisoned and uncovers other darker secrets.

From the Hammer studio this isn't a horror as such but more dark psychological suspense chiller, Robert Hardy plays the Baron who thinks his children Shane Briant and Gillian Hills have inherited some madness that their mother suffered which resulted in her suicide. Patrick Magee stars as the doctor called in to assess them and discovers more than just madness but also incest and satanic worshiping.

The baron house does seem like your typical Gothic house and atmosphere with plenty of places to run and hide. The plot does seem a bit messy and all over the place at first glance but given the chance for a second viewing this is a decent film to enjoy and understand.

Demons-of-the-Mind-1972-Bluray.jpg
Old 24th June 2022, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood Beat (1983, Fabrice Zaphiratos)

Meet the family! Mom loves to paint, Dad loves to hunt, you'll fit right in!!
What this one is I'm unsure, but I got a strong "this is like the stranger flicks that got caught up in that DPP list" vibe.
Might just jump to the top of the pile for Boxing Day (this and Dangerous Men? hmmmmm why not??)

Dr Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness (2022, Sam Raimi)

Whilst the woke did nearly make me turn it off, I persevered due to the helmer, and was reasonably happy with the second half of the flick. Just wish we could have gotten some more "travelling" ahem.

Beavis & Butthead Do The Universe

Wanna travel back in time? Then this is for you. Our tepid twosome find what they think is the answer to their problems, but yet again they've missed the point somewhat. Reasonably silly. No dogs are harmed

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th June 2022, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Foxy Brown. 1974.

Foxy takes on a job as a prostitute to hunt down those responsible for killing her boyfriend.

Pam Grier certainly does have some nice ample assets that she ain't shy in showing them as well as other actresses in this film. Female lead Blaxplotation movie where everyone takes a shot and swing at each other, nice bit of girl on girl fight in a lesbian bar, wire coat hanger used on a eye, did the censors have fun cutting this film, certainly enjoyed watching this.

51ZwWfRo9vL._AC_.jpg
Old 24th June 2022, 06:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)

An entertaining sequel that i was so underwhelmed with when i first saw it at the cinema.

A direct sequel to the first film, this dumps Jennifer Love Hewitt and another bunch of victims on a vacation in the Bahamas at a near deserted island hotel run by Jeffrey Combs. Storm season approaches as does scary fisherman Ben Willis.

I've grown to enjoy it more over the years, the island setting (Looks lovely on Blu-ray) is different, at least to the usual high school prom we normally get in this genre, and Combs, along with Jack Black brings a bit of quirkyness to proceedings. Although a bit gorier than the first film this is no slasher classic thanks to a largely slash free first forty minutes yet i still have a thing for these nineties attempts at rejuvenating the once dead slasher genre on the big screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I_Still_Know_What_You_Did_Last_Summer.jpg (16.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th June 2022, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ichi The Killer. 2001.

A Yakuza enforcer looking for his missing boss cross paths with a repressed and psychotic killer.

I have never read any of the Manga/comic book this was based on but after watching Takashi Mike's film Audition (just once)I thought I'd be prepared to dwell into the mind of sadistic torture. Right at the start (4 mins) a small rape and beating that can put a few films to shame with a voyeur having a "ham shank with himself". stringing someone up with hooks, and the favorable Japanese violence and gore. Give credit to the actor who put himself through all that make-up and able to pull it off making it look real and sufferable for our entertainment. With Takashi Mike we do seem to get decent direction and nice cinematography but the plot seemed all over the place.

8473152.jpg
Old 24th June 2022, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Spit On Your Grave. 1978.

Writer Jennifer travels to a secluded area to work on her new book and is gang raped and believed to be dead. Jennifer lives through the ordeal and seeks revenge.

Never upset a woman who can be creative in writing and more creative plotting and planning her revenge as she does in this film, we all want karma for the local bad guys. After some discussion last night on here and thanks to the free movie site I been using, this version I watched, wasn't the edited but the full 101 minutes instead of the standard 90-93 minute release. I know the rape scene was a bit on the hard side and upsetting for some, no wonder it was cut back a bit, at least Jennifer had the last smile at cutting something

ISpitOnYourGraveposter.jpg
Old 24th June 2022, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robo Vampire. 1988.

Narcotics officer Tom Wilde is gunned down and killed, a Chinese priest is able to give him a second chance in life as a robot.

This felt like a Chinese version of Robocop...oh wait it was a rip-off from Robocop and the horror film Mr Vampire, I have seen a few Godfrey Ho movies but this was really bad that I laughed almost all the way through the movie knowing I lost 90 minutes of my life. Doubt I will come back to this one anytime soon.

mqdefault.jpg
Old 25th June 2022, 02:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Living dead Girl. 1982.

After a toxic spill, a young dead heiress is revived and with the help of her childhood friend they both quench her thirst for blood.

You can always trust jean Rollin to give out something of a zombie movie and turn it into a somewhat erotic vampire movie, with some of his movies I have seen, this one does have his usual treat of great colorful cinematography and good decent pace.

Marina Pierro and Francoise Blanchard play the besties childhood friends who reunite after the toxic spill that brought back Catherine, there is a bit of a slow build up to her thirst for blood then we are not disappointed with the gore factor on this film. One film I didn't really grasp the first time I watched it and now it's a entertaining film to watch.

MV5BMTU3Mjg5MDMyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI5NTkwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 25th June 2022, 11:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Blood Beat (1983, Fabrice Zaphiratos)

Meet the family! Mom loves to paint, Dad loves to hunt, you'll fit right in!!
What this one is I'm unsure, but I got a strong "this is like the stranger flicks that got caught up in that DPP list" vibe.
Might just jump to the top of the pile for Boxing Day (this and Dangerous Men? hmmmmm why not??)

'Blood Beat' is amazing! 'Blood Beat' and 'Dangerous Men' in one sitting is playing with fire, but I think you already know that...!
Demoncrat likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 25th June 2022 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Sorted out the quote box for you!

Like this? Share it using the links below!